Everything's legal..

Turbo Doo

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Also, if registered over 4500 kg yes CVOR is needed but I did read on MTO site if for personal use the CVOR is not needed.  

Thats what I was told.  We have a 3 horse bumper pull trailer that I safety both truck and trailer.  Only used to haul our horses around, and I do not need a CVOR

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to mto.gov.on.ca and went to commercial vehicles frequently asked questions. I tried to put a link to this but I can't get it to work. My trailer is rated at 1360kg( 7x19 legend Vnose single axle). My truck is a f150 with a gvw of 3198kg. So together they are 58 kg over the 4500 guideline. But because the trailer is less than 2800kg it's not included in the total according to what they say in the rules. So I shouldn't need a safety sticker. Now we will see how I make out if I get pulled over in the name of public safety. But I think I'm good. I've asked two different MTO officers and got two different answers but the guy that didn't agree with me was clearly new and making it up on the fly. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll try to change the GVWR to 4400 and see it that works.

I need to double check all our stuff, make sure im ok without those yellow stickers

16 hours ago, Daves said:

Light trailer that transmit less than 2800 kilograms are not included in GVW. I got this from the MTO sight. I tried to attach it here but I can't get it to work. So the way "I" read it, as long as your trailer is less than 2800kg your golden(basically any single axle). Of course that doesn't mean that any tax collecting OPP or MTO officer can't ruin your day if they feel the need.

Pretty sure it applies to the total GVWR regardless..

18 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

I need to double check all our stuff, make sure im ok without those yellow stickers

Agreed.  It's worth double-checking so you know whether you're in compliance or not. It changes your road-side discussion with the cop if you know you're not legal but ready to beg forgiveness or plead ignorance. :-)

It's ridiculously easy to let yourself fall into the CV inspection requirements without being commercial. I think I've mentioned this here before, but there's a MTO officer in Kawartha Lakes area who enjoys being a d!ck.  He has ticketed numerous guys with regular 1/2t pickups pulling dual-axle bass boats.  I don't know if they were convicted or not, but this pr!ck leaves you having to fight the charge. Time, or Money - it isn't cheap. 

Something else to consider if your ever in a accident, and your stuffs not safeties etc, there's a potential of insurance issues and the fact of lawsuits..

I just did it, because I have had numerous friends stopped and it's never been nice with no safety..Actually had a friend say a officer demanded the trailer be unhooked and left roadside..

7 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in too since I run with yellow stickers on my 1/2 ton pickup and single axle trailer.  GVWR on truck is 7000 lbs  (on the door pillar) and add the GVWR of trailer of 3500 lbs (on the sticker on the tongue) and over 9900 lbs ( which is 4500 kg)  so yellow stickers. Now for the licensing/ registering of the truck. I read on the MTO site, and stated above, if the trailer transmits to the ground less then 2800 kg you need to add the tongue weight of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate and if the trailer transmits more than 2800 kg to the road you need to add the GVWR of the trailer to the registration weight of the plate.   Blackstar   had all this on the forum I believe last year with MTO pics and all.  Of course the ONLY trailers exempt are campers. But if you pull with a truck with GVWR of more than 4500 kg the truck needs a sticker but RV doesn't.  And if the trailer is homemade  there are different rules again since there is probably no GVWR for trailer.  I have a homemade landscaper that I am sure I am ok with without stickers. Running a light duty tire on it.  Anyway I carry MTO printed copies with me always.  I think this is an important topic since we all seem to pull some sort of trailer and I don't like to hear guys getting these big fines from MTO.

Correct..

So confusing! I'm just going to haul the sled trailer with the RV. That way I don't need any stickers.

48 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

just a really healthy gas card 

Sprinter RV, 21mpg. It uses less fuel than my truck.

52 minutes ago, Crawdaddy said:

And SJ I'd lower your weight of your truck by at least 500lbs most 2500 without a mod box are usually well below the 4500kg mark, but again keep in mind your tongue weight, which will be much less than 500lbs.  

Sounds good.  Are there any hoops jump through to change registered weight?

22 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Sounds good.  Are there any hoops jump through to change registered weight?

No. Just go to service Ontario and ask to change your weight. If it's just Personal use you won't need a CVOR. Keep in mind if running the 407 that anything over 5000 needs a transponder. 

30 minutes ago, Dave K said:

No. Just go to service Ontario and ask to change your weight. If it's just Personal use you won't need a CVOR. Keep in mind if running the 407 that anything over 5000 needs a transponder. 

Thanks.  Already transponder equipped.

18 hours ago, Daves said:

I went to mto.gov.on.ca and went to commercial vehicles frequently asked questions. I tried to put a link to this but I can't get it to work. My trailer is rated at 1360kg( 7x19 legend Vnose single axle). My truck is a f150 with a gvw of 3198kg. So together they are 58 kg over the 4500 guideline. But because the trailer is less than 2800kg it's not included in the total according to what they say in the rules. So I shouldn't need a safety sticker. Now we will see how I make out if I get pulled over in the name of public safety. But I think I'm good. I've asked two different MTO officers and got two different answers but the guy that didn't agree with me was clearly new and making it up on the fly. 

This is from the MTO site. There is nothing stated here about an exemption for trailers under 2800 kg.

Annual and semi-annual inspections

An annual inspection is valid for 12 months.

Trucks, trailers and converter dollies, alone or in combination, with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,500 kg require an annual inspection.

• Total gross weight: the weight transmitted to the highway by the truck and/or trailer - includes the driver, passenger, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, etc. carried by the truck and/or trailer
  • Registered gross weight (RGW): the maximum weight based on the fees paid for the truck licence plates - indicated in kilograms on the right (plate) portion of a truck's ownership next to "REG. GROSS WT." (trailers and converter dollies do not have a RGW)
  • Manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR): the maximum weight a truck is safely capable of weighing as declared by the manufacturer - indicated on the vehicle's vehicle identification number (VIN) plate

This is what I found for exemptions.

VEHICLES AND TRAILERS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ANNUAL INSPECTIONS:

Motor homes. A truck while carrying a slide-in camper is a motor home.

Camper trailers and house trailers. A livestock trailer with living accommodations is not a house trailer.

Mobile homes or office trailers wider than 2.6 m (8.6") or longer than 11 m (36 ft).

Trucks that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towing camper trailers, house trailers, devices or implements of husbandry such as farm wagons. NOTE: The trailer's tongue weight and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of an attached house or camper trailer is not added to the weight of the truck when determining the truck's weight.

Trailers that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towed by a motor home.

And here is the reference to 2800 kgs.

The weight transmitted to the road by the axle(s) of an attached trailer does not have to be added to the RGW of the truck if the transmitted weight is 2,800 kilograms (6,172 lbs) or less.

Years ago when you said you had a half ton truck and a single axle trailer, it was always exempt because most half tons didn't have a Manufacturer gross weight rating of more than 3000 kg and any single axle trailer had an axle rating of 3000 lbs or less. These days they keep specing the trucks heavier and heavier.

Used to be, you would never see a Manufacturers Gross weight over 4500 kgs unless it was a duallie. Now 3/4 tons are spec'd for more than that.

17 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Still need a safety on the trailer..

Seems to me I recall somewhere that if the trailer itself requires an inspection sticker based on trailer weight. Whatever the tow vehicle is requires an inspection sticker as well even if it wouldn't need an inspection sticker if driven on its own. It doesn't work in reverse though. A tow vehicle that requires an inspection sticker towing for example a lightweight utility trailer, the trailer doesn't need a sticker.

My only recommendation would be too find someone in the KNOW you trust and do what you want to do from there..I have my stuff set up for no problems..Been to a few guy's that are most defiantly in the loop on this and that's why I choose to have my stuff stickered......:D:D

VEHICLES AND TRAILERS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ANNUAL INSPECTIONS:Trailers that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towed by a motor home.

I should still be ok. These trailer laws are really screwed up.

Archived