Montana Tractor Value

whits-end

We're trying to put a value on a Montana compact tractor to sell it to settle a family estate.  There doesn't seem to be a 'Tractor Blue Book', and nothing like it for sale on Kijiji.  Local dealer won't respond to our requests.  I thought maybe someone here has experience with farm equipment prices.

It's a 2006 Montana R2844 compact 4x4 with aftermarket cab and heater.  Lower rad hose heater and engine glow plugs for winter starting.   Mitsubishi 4 cylinder 28 HP diesel with 555 hours.  Shuttle shift with 4 gears and 3 ranges.   Montana quick disconnect 5' front loader bucket and HLA 1200 lb quick disconnect flat lifting forks.  Lucknow 5' rear PTO snowblower with hydraulic chute.  Walco 5' rear 3pt hitch scraper blade.

Everything is in excellent condition including Turf tires, as it was stored under cover.  One owner and cottage use only, not farm.

Looking for package value, or tractor/loader alone and we can price implements separately.

If anyone can offer assistance in putting a value on this, I would be internally grateful.

http://www.marketbook.ca/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1100&Manu=MONTANA&LP=TH

http://www.loughlins.ca/pages_tractors/about.html

Try those two links.  The first one is a used trader like Auto trader, the second is a dealer I found on google.  You could also try AgDealer.com 

Unfortunately, Montana Tractors closed up shop some years ago, and they weren't ever very common in Canada.  You have a couple of options for pricing yours. You could ask the same question on Tractor By Net.  http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/montana/

Bearing in mind that it was built either in Korea or Inda, another option is to price a similar-sized Mahindra, and then discount the Montana because there's no longer a dealer network or parts support. 

It's monetary value on the market will be low compared to its usefulness to the right person. 

Actually not completely true.  Montana, a U.S. company,  was originally a distributor of equipment made by LS Tractor of Korea.  Later on, Montana started sourcing some stuff from other manufacturers, such as some from India.  Eventually went out of business.   LS Tractor is now distributing their own product in North America, and most of the dealer network is still in place under the LS name.  This R2844 was Korean built, with Mitsubishi engine; and parts are still available thru LS.

Your point is well taken though, this tractor is not worth as much as the 'major brands'.  More along the lines of Kioti.  We may have to use other pricing as a guide and discount accordingly.

3 hours ago, whits-end said:

Actually not completely true.  Montana, a U.S. company,  was originally a distributor of equipment made by LS Tractor of Korea.  Later on, Montana started sourcing some stuff from other manufacturers, such as some from India.  Eventually went out of business.   LS Tractor is now distributing their own product in North America, and most of the dealer network is still in place under the LS name.  This R2844 was Korean built, with Mitsubishi engine; and parts are still available thru LS.

Your point is well taken though, this tractor is not worth as much as the 'major brands'.  More along the lines of Kioti.  We may have to use other pricing as a guide and discount accordingly.

http://milestoneequipment.com/  These guys are a LS dealership.

And these guys sell Kioti http://mcgavinequip.com/

Tractor was probably Around 17k new plus cab, plus loader. After market cab doesn't add allot of value either, loader probably worth around 3k new or so, pallet forks worth 350 bucks. Snowblower can easily be marketed separately, since it is a good brand probably still worth 2500 or so. I wouldn't give it away to cheap, since it is a decent unit and should easily last a few thousand hours. Good luck.  

18 hours ago, whits-end said:

They seem to be a very decent little tractor

Reply from my brother 

This tractors were made by LS in South Korea.  All parts and service can be obtained from an LS dealership.   Very few of these tractors were sold, but the corresponding LS tractor could be used as a comparison.   

If you were to look at a trade value, probably the best for the estate, the tractor would be worth roughly 13 to 15 thousand in good condition.  Add $3,000 for a heated cab, if in good condition. 

Everything on a compact resale is the condition of the equipment and paint as they rarely have any significant hours. 

If I was to advertise it, I would ask $19 to $21,000.00.    A new LS 28 gear transmission with loader and cab is under $30,000 Canadian at a nearby.dealership.  This is a non current and fairly comparable.

Hope that this helps.

Here is a link to more details on the company:

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Montana_Tractors

cleardot.gif

Great info. I like dealing with connect as well. Sounds like the tractor is almost worth as much today as it was new back in 2006. I know equipment costs have risen in last few years. 

WB, Thank you very much for the info.  Great to have informed input.  Please thank your brother for me, as well.  Seems like that's pricing for the tractor/loader and there could be approx $2000 more for blower, scraper, and fork assembly.  I'll pass this along and the family can decide how to proceed.

Archived