"Mini" trail prep groomer

Chandos_rob

3b041c5f3d1be6f9c4c4c06e45410f5a?AccessKeyId=8BA23EBB0828F1348733&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I couldn't make the Slederama show, but apparently Happy Trails was there  http://www.happytrailsgroomer.com/ and one of the guys from our club was wondering if anyone had any experience using something like this very eary season before grooming to pack out trail.  Not too expensive, but just not sure how effective it would be.

Thanks 

Looks  like a groomer as opposed to a packer IMHO

16 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Looks  like a groomer as opposed to a packer IMHO

I know little about grooming, but I'm assuming you could use it to pack down the snow before full grooming over wet and swampy areas before sending in full groomer.  Would it not be a bit helpful on regular trails that don't have enough snow to send out the groomer?

I have a home made one similar to that and it works well. It will flatten out the trail after excessive traffic. It won't cut off frozen moguls. You can groom at a much faster speed than an industrial groomer but it is only four feet wide.

I saw them at the show, they were called a personal groomer. Appeared to be be well constructed, but a little on the pricey side.IMO

We use a homemade one at the cabin, made from and old 8' long skid.

Bigfish could you send me some pictures? I'm trying to come up with something for up at our camp.

1 hour ago, iangj said:

Bigfish could you send me some pictures? I'm trying to come up with something for up at our camp.

I don't have any good pics of it, except this one which only shows the back end of it.

But picture a skid approx 8' long which you can put some weight on and drag behind a sled

Sledding 2010 017.JPG

I seem to remember Muskoka Man had made some sort of a homemade groomer for his property out to the trail, maybe send him a message about what he has built.

11 hours ago, Chandos_rob said:

3b041c5f3d1be6f9c4c4c06e45410f5a?AccessKeyId=8BA23EBB0828F1348733&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I couldn't make the Slederama show, but apparently Happy Trails was there  http://www.happytrailsgroomer.com/ and one of the guys from our club was wondering if anyone had any experience using something like this very eary season before grooming to pack out trail.  Not too expensive, but just not sure how effective it would be.

Thanks 

I was under the impression from your comment that you are asking about something for packing the trail initially as opposed to grooming the trail. If that is the case, something with a pan that you can add weight to would do a better job packing than using a groomer. I saw one that was basically a flattened out piece of galvanized culvert  with a drawbar on the front of it. Looked like it had enough weight to it to pack pretty well.

I have seen a galvanized window well with bracing and weight added, did a decent packing job . For a low cost alternative .

Our club bought a packer that is a roller.  You can add weight to it and it will still roll along.  Hopefully less drag (and wear) with a roller if you get into low snow areas.  http://haultainservice.com/page15.html

We didn't get a chance to try it last year, but hopefully soon.

Thanks, lots of great ideas and information from everyone.  One of the guys is going to check out the Haultain Service one this week, anyone know anyone that has had a chance to use one?

On 11/21/2016 at 11:15 PM, sledjunk said:

Our club bought a packer that is a roller.  You can add weight to it and it will still roll along.  Hopefully less drag (and wear) with a roller if you get into low snow areas.  http://haultainservice.com/page15.html

We didn't get a chance to try it last year, but hopefully soon.

I have an old furnace oil tank I used to drag, either behind the old sled, or even the atv.  At one time before I had a 4 wheeler I actually used my Big Red three wheeler.  It pulled it just fine.  I have a 3/4" rod going through it and a welded tongue made.  I mainly used it to pack trail so I could get into the bush in the winter time with my old Farmall H and a big trailer full of fire wood.   The trail would be hard as asphalt by morning.  

If you go too fast it will sometimes slide around but Im sure could put a could small guides welded to the bottom no prob.   ( No good for cutting out the bumps tho)

53 minutes ago, Owls Nest Lodge said:

I have seen a packer made from a 24 inch plastic culvert, cant think where I saw it, but would like to see one and build it for here,

That is similar to the haultain version that we have.

On 11/23/2016 at 4:06 PM, Owls Nest Lodge said:

I have seen a packer made from a 24 inch plastic culvert, cant think where I saw it, but would like to see one and build it for here,

Something like this......

"Roller is plastic to reduce weight, total weight is about 200 lbs. Can add weight on tongue. $1,400.  6 ft overall width to fit in a trailer."    http://www.haultainservice.com/

We've been looking around.  A few our guys questioning if it is heavy enough and if plastic would rotate or just slide.  Nice to hear from some real world user.

IMG_2306[1].JPG

Just curious... can you put water in it to whatever weight you need and then drain when you're finished... like a lawn roller. As long as it's moving the water won't freeze.

That is the unit that we have.  The roller seems to roll well and weights can be added (standard bar bell weights) on to the vertical posts.

As I mentioned earlier, we didn't really get a chance to try it last year.

19 minutes ago, Owls Nest Lodge said:

You try it and let us know,  

Just thought it might have a valve on the side. I was just asking the question.

Archived