Do you have sled trips planned for this season

kimrr

Got our RAP tour all booked today. Two fellows we met last year from Pennsylvania USA are coming 

with us. We are starting out on Feb 5 from Bancroft to Pettewawa then Pettewawa to Mattawa then

Mattawa to Kearny then Kearny to Haliburton then Haliburton back to Bancroft. 

Should be a great trip , getting anxious.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any trips I plan will be last minute trips.

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Any trips I plan will be last minute trips.

That's what I normally do but the guys from the states needed to be sure of the dates so they can get off work. I hope to do a few last minute trip too. I was surprised to find that some places only had one room or no rooms left already this early in the season.

17 minutes ago, kimrr said:

I was surprised to find that some places only had one room or no rooms left already this early in the season.

Gulp.

Thanks for the heads up, Kimrr. 

Kimrr, were these bookings for weekdays, or weekends? What general area did you check?

Maybe we have built up a bit of a demand, after last year's non-winter?

This was week days. I called a bunch of places and checked websites. The smaller places were limited to booked. The larger places had rooms left . I called and checked so many websites I can't remember

all places. The most booked were around the Deep River area . My riding partner booked 3  of the places due to him being familiar with the route. He did mention he got rooms but was told they were being filled quicker than usual. I ended up booking for Bancroft which said they still have rooms and booked Haliburton and was told rooms were getting limited.

We also booked a cottage for 6 days in a cottage at lake St. Peter for the end of February beginning of March and couldn't even get a whole week. The cottage we did get for the 6 days was the last one they had all other cottages were booked up. I think maybe people are booking early and if there is no snow or whatever they can cancel rather than take the chance of no vacancy if they wait.

Just my 2 cents....but depending on which way you go, your first day will be a fast one.  Bancroft to Pet is only about ~200kms, and alot of it is railbed.

Also, Pet to Mattawa isn't a big day either. 

Mattawa to Kearney will be a decent ride.

We're doing the RAP this year as well, but starting just north of Fenelon Falls and riding to Pet the first day. 

Pet to North Bay the 2nd day. 

North Bay to Kearney/Sand lake the 3rd day. 

Sand Lake back to Fenelon the 4th day. 

13 hours ago, kimrr said:

Got our RAP tour all booked today. Two fellows we met last year from Pennsylvania USA are coming 

with us. We are starting out on Feb 5 from Bancroft to Pettewawa then Pettewawa to Mattawa then

Mattawa to Kearny then Kearny to Haliburton then Haliburton back to Bancroft. 

Should be a great trip , getting anxious.

Monte1214 I realize that these are short days . We set it up purposely for the American fellas that will be with us. When we rode with them last year they rode much slower than we rode. If they happen to pick it up this year we will just take some side trails or local trails if the situation allows. We also want to show them things like the mica mine , ice caves ect.  I'm sure we will get good days of riding in one way or another.

doing the RAP. a few days at LSP some day tripping probably cochrane area for a week.and anything else that comes along,

Mapped out a route for my wife and I for two days. Start heading south in Port Severn through Coldwater, Swift Rapids, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and ending the day at Deerhurst for the night. That's about 160 km. Nice dinner and massage for the wife. Next morning Deerhurst through Port Carling, Bala, down the ice from the top end of Six Mile Lake back to Port Severn. Spend the night in Midland with dinner at The Arch Steakhouse and head for home the next day. 270 km trip.

Capture.JPG

On November 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM, kimrr said:

Monte1214 I realize that these are short days . We set it up purposely for the American fellas that will be with us. When we rode with them last year they rode much slower than we rode. If they happen to pick it up this year we will just take some side trails or local trails if the situation allows. We also want to show them things like the mica mine , ice caves ect.  I'm sure we will get good days of riding in one way or another.

A great addition to this tour would be to take trail 11 up to the forest for a early lunch before back tracking and heading back to Bancroft. If you could make one day longer, you could spend a night at kennis lake lodge and ride forest for a day. Real neat experience. 

Thanks Viper, but if the snow/trails are good, the HF won't be getting any of my money to ride their trails. 

58 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

A great addition to this tour would be to take trail 11 up to the forest for a early lunch before back tracking and heading back to Bancroft. If you could make one day longer, you could spend a night at kennis lake lodge and ride forest for a day. Real neat experience. 

On 03/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, 02Sled said:

Mapped out a route for my wife and I for two days. Start heading south in Port Severn through Coldwater, Swift Rapids, Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and ending the day at Deerhurst for the night. That's about 160 km. Nice dinner and massage for the wife. Next morning Deerhurst through Port Carling, Bala, down the ice from the top end of Six Mile Lake back to Port Severn. Spend the night in Midland with dinner at The Arch Steakhouse and head for home the next day. 270 km trip.

Capture.JPG

Great route 02Sled. Get to the Huntsville lakes during  daylight. Very creepy, hitting the lake from the south, open river to your left. It's okay with buddies  ( I use the term loosely ) when you can say " You first, STG". "Ladies first " just doesn't work on a moonlit night, staring at a lake, sans stake line. 

On 11/3/2016 at 6:24 PM, 02Sled said:

Capture.JPG

Nice trip route, 02...if you're looking for company, we might even join you for the northern part of it toward Huntsville (or leaving Deerhurst), since your route will come within about a km of our place on Fairy Lake.  Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate with good enough ice on Fairy this winter, so it can actually get staked this season.  Trail 88 from town to Grandview, which follows that stakeline, was never opened at all last winter.

Here's a suggestion so you don't have to totally retrace your steps south from Huntsville on day 2 -- instead of going via 88 back through town, take D102B south from Deerhurst into the Hilly & Gully Riders trail system, to Trail 51, then go west through Port Sydney and out to D that way.  This alternative also avoids having to re-run a nasty 1 km+ of often mostly bare pavement where Trail 88 runs north through the edge of town along Townline Rd., on its way to Fairy Lake. 

Just my 2 cents' worth...

irREV

42 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Nice trip route, 02...if you're looking for company, we might even join you for the northern part of it toward Huntsville (or leaving Deerhurst), since your route will come within about a km of our place on Fairy Lake.  Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate with good enough ice on Fairy this winter, so it can actually get staked this season.  Trail 88 from town to Grandview, which follows that stakeline, was never opened at all last winter.

Here's a suggestion so you don't have to totally retrace your steps south from Huntsville on day 2 -- instead of going via 88 back through town, take D102B south from Deerhurst into the Hilly & Gully Riders trail system, to Trail 51, then go west through Port Sydney and out to D that way.  This alternative also avoids having to re-run a nasty 1 km+ of often mostly bare pavement where Trail 88 runs north through the edge of town along Townline Rd., on its way to Fairy Lake. 

Just my 2 cents' worth...

irREV

Thanks for the tip. I hate road rash and will look at this as a way in as well if that makes sense. I anticipate the snow gods will cooperate and there will be lots of snow on the roads as well. Fingers crossed. Company is always nice. One of the reasons my wife doesn't go sledding as often as I do is it's so often her and a bunch of guys.

On 2016-10-28 at 7:02 AM, 02Sled said:

Traveled to the US way too often and recent on business for that one to work but a good shot.

My wife aligned late last night on the concept of waiting until March to go if we go. I haven't any real desire to go at all. I'm also asking her if she really wants to not see her horse for that long and I think it's working.

Ah..yes..appeal to the equestrian in her and you shall be victorious

Great thread..cant wait to get my newb feet wet in snow and break in my sled....the Rap tour looks like perfection for my 1st season goal

Lots of great ideas out there ...

No plans here ....was  GOING to try the RAP with a buddy but he ...uh .....well.......can't drive for a year .

Correction ...I do have a plan ....RIDE as much as I can ..

2 hours ago, NiagaraKev said:
2 hours ago, NiagaraKev said:

No plans here ....was  GOING to try the RAP with a buddy but he ...uh .....well.......can't drive for a year .

The RAP is on my list for this year.....  and as much riding as possible.  Lol

34 minutes ago, Wimpy said:

The RAP is on my list for this year.....  and as much riding as possible.  Lol

If you are ever looking for someone to ride with, let me know. My riding buddies are slowly giving up the sport.

20 minutes ago, jimbob said:

If you are ever looking for someone to ride with, let me know. My riding buddies are slowly giving up the sport.

This seems to be a common comment with guys having their buddies giving up the sport, Once the season starts up stay tuned we had quite a few group rides in the past few years and will always post any rides on here or anyone looking for someone to ride with..

1 hour ago, jimbob said:

Sure thing!  Last year due to the crap season we had, I went to Science Dirfters (I think that's the name) and did a bunch of runs from there to the Exeter area.  Great folks, nice trails and a cool club house! 

I will be riding from jan 18 to Feb 13th. Will go any where there is snow. Hopefully there is open trails some where to ride then, because that is only time off I have. 

Just booked rooms for our RAP tour from Jan 30-Feb 03.  Our itinerary looks like this.

day 1- depart from Carnavon area to Barrys Bay

day 2- Barrys Bay to Stonecliffe

day 3- Stoncliffe to North Bay

day 4- North Bay to Kearny

day 5- Kearny to Carnavon

Here's hoping the weather cooperates!  If anyone wants to join, let me know.   

Archived