Do you have sled trips planned for this season

kimrr

2 hours ago, monte1214 said:

After seeing Sledjunks itinerary, it got me thinking of this one. 

Would plan on running local trails as well on the Northern end.

Anyone have good/bad on this??

Day 1 - Drive to Elliot Lake.

Day 2 – Elliot Lake to The Soo - Approx.250kms

Day 3 - The Soo to Searchmont via the Snow Train, then approx. 235kms by sled to Wawa. (Have to map out the tyrain times to see if it can be done in a day).  

Day 4  - Wawa to Hearst (via Hornepayne and Dubreuilville) - Approx. 300kms

Day 5 - Hearst to Smooth Rock Falls (via Kapuskasing and Moonbeam) - Approx. 250kms

Day 6 - Smooth Rock Falls to Cochrane (via Abitibi Canyon) - Approx. 250kms

Day 7 - Cochrane to Timmins (Via Iroquois Falls and local Timmins trails) - Approx. 200kms  

Day 8 - Timmins to Windy lake (via Gogama and Shining Tree) – The Big Day – Approx. 400kms -  Day 7, 8 & 9 could be split up maybe, and add an extra Day?)

Day 9 - Windy lake to Elliot lake (via Espanola) -  Approx. 225kms

Day 10 – Drive Home.

Your day 3 will have to be changed.  Soo to Wawa without the train.  Snow Train is gone and they would not stop to let you unload in Searchmont which is just after they get going.  Told me that they would not let me even board at Searchmont in years past.

You could ride all the way to Wawa in a day if you can ride all the way into SSM.  Gas in Goulais River on Hwy.17 and then at Halfway Haven.  This is about 120 miles between gas, but then only 75 miles to gas from Halfway to Wawa.  No gas in Searchmont that I know of yet.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Send your wife without you.  That's what I would do.

BP

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm not necessarily eager but not dismissing the idea of a 10 hour drive one way to go sledding.

There are usually a great many excellent places to ride without going so far north. Not that I see anything wrong with an extended saddlebag trek for those who are into that, but I prefer the thought of having a comfortable base from which to take a series of day-trips, of 100 to 250 kilometres each.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm standing my ground on this one. I'm willing to go south as soon as sled season is over but not any sooner.

Let's face it.

It is over when she says it is over!  :rotflmao:

It works like this... save your No's for when it counts. Three Yes's entitles one No

Wife - what do you think of this silver ware? You like it get it. You think it's silverware, who cares

Wife - what do you think of this colour of paint for the living room? You like it get it. You think she usually has a better eye for this than me - who cares

Wife - I'm going for a girls weekend with some friends... rhetorically is that okay. Have fun with your friends. You think that gives you the weekend off too.

That's 3 Yes's

Wife - what do you think of going to Florida in the middle of sled season? NO WAY, NYET, NOT HAPPENING. You get to play your one No card and start from ground zero and accumulate Yes's again.

33 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It works like this... save your No's for when it counts. Three Yes's entitles one No

Wife - what do you think of this silver ware? You like it get it. You think it's silverware, who cares

Wife - what do you think of this colour of paint for the living room? You like it get it. You think she usually has a better eye for this than me - who cares

Wife - I'm going for a girls weekend with some friends... rhetorically is that okay. Have fun with your friends. You think that gives you the weekend off too.

That's 3 Yes's

Wife - what do you think of going to Florida in the middle of sled season? NO WAY, NYET, NOT HAPPENING. You get to play your one No card and start from ground zero and accumulate Yes's again.

Good luck with that one :lmao:

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm standing my ground on this one. I'm willing to go south as soon as sled season is over but not any sooner.

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Send your wife without you.  That's what I would do.

BP

You go 02sled, keep your stance. Can't always give in every time without getting some back.

Love the 3:1 yes / no thing, great idea. Is the missus aware of it yet ?

i will be going back to el again this winter, great trails and an easy drive from home. About 3.5 hours closer then cochrane!

planning a large loop-North Bay through Elliot Lake-Halfway Haven through Doubrouville up through hearst-cochrane down through New Liskeard and back to North Bay. I'm not getting any younger. Any advise appreciated.Have done all trails listed except Sudbury-Wawa.

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

That's 3 Yes's

Get busted for possession of pot. No longer admissable to the U.S. Problem solved. Really, you should be watching those border security shows.

15 hours ago, 02Sled said:

02 I think the ground you may be standing on might be located in Florida, however when you are there you can check this site for pictures of members out on sledding adventures. Wish you the best on this one. Say hi to Mickey for us. 

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Get busted for possession of pot. No longer admissable to the U.S. Problem solved. Really, you should be watching those border security shows.

Traveled to the US way too often and recent on business for that one to work but a good shot.

57 minutes ago, snapper said:

02 I think the ground you may be standing on might be located in Florida, however when you are there you can check this site for pictures of members out on sledding adventures. Wish you the best on this one. Say hi to Mickey for us. 

My wife aligned late last night on the concept of waiting until March to go if we go. I haven't any real desire to go at all. I'm also asking her if she really wants to not see her horse for that long and I think it's working.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and just getting back into sledding after taking 25 years off. Lol.  A buddy and I were looking at doing the RAP tour as well, with a starting point in the Huntsville area.  Ideally, we would like to make it a 5 day trip.  However, after looking at the map, I'm having some trouble trying to figure out where good places to stay would be based on riding 6-9 hrs a day.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Wimpy

Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you're doing it in 5 days, a lot of sledders say they want to do it in 3 (rolling my eyes). Try searching the forum for "Rap tour" & see what has been posted in past years. I did it back in '13 leaving from the Apsley area:

For lodging & mileage info, check the link in my signature.

Thank you!  I will check it out.  We may even take longer, but figured 5 days minimum as my experience level is lacking, and we want to enjoy the scenery too.  Thx again!

Wimpy

2 hours ago, Wimpy said:

Thank you!  I will check it out.  We may even take longer, but figured 5 days minimum as my experience level is lacking, and we want to enjoy the scenery too.  Thx again!

Wimpy

I've been hoping to do the RAP as well. Maybe this year. I'm in Brantford as well, when snow fly's contact me. Always looking to ride.

22 hours ago, Polaris1 said:

planning a large loop-North Bay through Elliot Lake-Halfway Haven through Doubrouville up through hearst-cochrane down through New Liskeard and back to North Bay. I'm not getting any younger. Any advise appreciated.Have done all trails listed except Sudbury-Wawa.

Don't go alone and I would start farther north to ensure you make it back to your truck! Weather can be a factor below new liskard. 

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Don't go alone and I would start farther north to ensure you make it back to your truck! Weather can be a factor below new liskard. 

There's a couple of us going,all with newer sleds.Planning on last week in February,hopefully weather will be good.Have done several high mile loops in Ontario and Quebec but this will be the biggest.

We will be off for a few days around New Years again this year, planning on Cochrane area providing we have trails open, Back up plan will be back to Monts Valin again.

Last week of February ourselves and Extreme 600 team will be heading to Val Dor for a week and exploring the trails out that way.  We could be open to a couple others joining us if anyone wants to tag along..

Am still hoping we can do another Ontario Conditions Northern invasion ride in January like we did last year, I am thinking this year maybe Cochrane or Kap to base out of for a few days..

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

Am still hoping we can do another Ontario Conditions Northern invasion ride in January like we did last year, I am thinking this year maybe Cochrane or Kap to base out of for a few days..

(Nunz doesn't like my burgers .... )

I liked your burgers buddy, lol...maybe we sled from Cochrane to Kap or Hearst stay one night then head back, I am sure we can work something out...

4 hours ago, Nunz said:

I liked your burgers buddy, lol...maybe we sled from Cochrane to Kap or Hearst stay one night then head back, I am sure we can work something out...

Just kidding buddy ..lol. !!!  We'll go to meet you if you don't end up here .... gonna depend where trails are open for us too.  Lots of swamp to freeze up here ....

At any rate I don't think the sheer volume of OCers of last year's event will repeat anytime soon ....

22 hours ago, Big Mark said:

I've been hoping to do the RAP as well. Maybe this year. I'm in Brantford as well, when snow fly's contact me. Always looking to ride.

Sure thing, will do!

Wimpy

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Just kidding buddy ..lol. !!!  We'll go to meet you if you don't end up here .... gonna depend where trails are open for us too.  Lots of swamp to freeze up here ....

At any rate I don't think the sheer volume of OCers of last year's event will repeat anytime soon ....

We'll be thru the Northern Corridor Du Nord more than once!...Do not worry Denis..

Archived