Do you have sled trips planned for this season

kimrr

Hi Everyone

First of all I'd like to wish everyone a great snowmobile season , hopefully the snow gods will look after us. I was wondering if you have sled trips planned for the upcoming season. If yes can you please share them.

I will start :   I plan to do the rap tour with an extra day or so stop in the Rolphton ,Deep River area to check out local trails.  Also just booked a cottage for a week in the Lake St.Peter area.  After visiting the snowmobile show last weekend I'm all pumped and getting excited. Sleds all ready to rock and have already got my trail pass.

Happy Trails all 

Cheers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading to Gaspe the 19th of February on our 28th annual saddlebag trip. 5 days of riding 1500 km. of the most scenic parts of Gaspe. Trip is planned and rooms are booked.

Also excited for the season ahead, especially after doing the 'map lap' (trademark, STG) at the Toronto show.

I've never snowmobiled 'extensively' the week between Boxing Day and New Years. Had a blast at Haliburton Forest many times with Sledjunk and the flying Juniors , but now thinking of going further north for 4 or 5 nights. Wife's family is over on December 18th for Christmas hijinks and merriment, then 'oughta here'. Going north in search of Santa. Christmas being on Sunday December 25th lends itself to this type of "week off" Monday to Friday.  I'll post plans onboard in case anyone else is of a similar mind. Muskoka Man has done this in the past - always enjoyed his ride reports from that time of year.

Keeping an eye on the weather and will simply follow the snow. Kinda neat to run trails knowing that lakes are (likely) not an option. Limiting, but fun.

Great thread topic, kimrr.

Have booked a few days in Revelstoke with a sled, at the end of March.

Get to check another thing off the bucket list!

Great thread topic, and great plans posted so far. Keep'em coming.

I don't generally plan much beyond tomorrow, unless I need to. Having said that, I am interested in getting ideas from you folks....

I'd imagine with a new sled I will be chasing snow early and late in the season, probably Cochrane after boxing day and end of March.  Hopefully a saddle bag trip through the season either a big loop in Quebec or Northeastern Ontario. 

Then obviously  lots from home and the cabin as well. Might be hard having a 1 year old but I plan at the least 3k miles. We'll see how it works out. 

I agree, great topic kimrr!

February 8, 9 and 10 we are doing the RAP tour, first night at Dinner Bell in Bonfield, second night Spring Lake Resort in Dwight, Friday back home to Petawawa.

Family Day weekend we've booked two nights for the gang at Cedar Gables Lodge, leaving from Stonecliffe on Saturday and returning Monday.  Sunday some loops on the excellent North Bay & Bonfield club trails.

The following weekend is our annual four-day trip, this year its the RAN tour, leaving from Mattawa Golf 'N' Ski Friday to Crow's Nest Lodge in Restoule, next night at Beausejour Inn at Alban, on to Cedar Gables Lodge the next night, then Monday back to the trucks at Mattawa.

All booked!  

This is great keep em coming guys . Hearing all the plans gives me ideas.

Our two father son combos (riding together last 25 years) heading to val dor area or possibly mount Laurier  this year to start a three day Quebec tour (different than the standard la sarre start we make). More than likely 3rd or 4th week of January .

looking forward to it!

No concrete plans due to my health but some stuff I would liketo do.

RAP

Riding around port perry for a couple days.

I'm not going to plan to much to far ahead

We did Mount Laurier last year for a week, 1500 K, a long trip but conditions were great. A very good trip, I think it was the wood runner trail we did.

this year we have a cottage booked for a week in February near Bon Echo park north of Kaladar. Trails are  fantastic, lots of loops for great day trips.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Great topic, I would like to do the RAP tour as well, probably thinking sometime in mid February. Never done too much riding outside my district. Never done the Rap,RAN, nor been riding up north. I would also like to do some Cochrane, Dub riding this year. Keep the stuff coming guys! gives people like me ideas, and suggestions are always welcomed! 

YAY snow in the forecast tomorrow :)  

Hope to get some local (D3) riding in this year.  Closest riding I got to home last year was 2hrs away.   (That's ok though, it's part of the game)

A 5 day Cochrane trip is being  is planned for February, and North Bay is on the list as well this year for a 4-5 day mid week ride.

A usual year for me and my riding partner is around 3000kms, so we'll be chasing the green on the map!!!

Planning a big trip up North this year. 

Starting and ending in the Sault, just because :-)

Day 1     Sault to Halfway Haven

Day 2     Halfway Haven to Dubreuilville

Day 3     Dubreuilville to Hearst

Day 4     Hearst to Timmins

Day 5     Timmins to Gowganda

Day 6     Gowganda to Sudbury

Day 7     Sudbury to Elliot Lake

Day 8     Elliot Lake to the Sault

2 saddlebag rides planned so far

Feb 18-20  3 day ride approximately 673 miles

Day 1 Kenora to Sioux Lookout via Dryden

Day 2 Sioux Lookout to Atikokan via Ignace

Day 3 Atikokan to Kenora via Fort Frances, Sioux Narrows

3%20day%20ride_zpscjqw7bsj.jpg

Feb 25-29 5 day ride approximately 994 miles

Day 1 Falcon Lake to Ear Falls via Kenora, Dryden

Day 2 Ear Falls to Sioux Lookout via Red Lake, Ear Falls

Day 3 Sioux Lookout to Atikokan via Ignace

Day 4 Atikokan to Emo via Crane Lake, Fort Frances

Day 5 Emo to Falcon Lake via Warroad

5%20day%20ride_zpsltfzxhts.jpg

Sounds like a great trip, but on Day 6 when you're coming South to Sudbury, do yourself a favor and take off to the East on C111D to Windy Lake to stay. 

The trails in/out of Sudbury suck crap.  No grooming at all until you're well North of town. 

~130kms from Shining Tree to Rocky's, then ~100kms to Windy Lake.  When you leave Windy lake, you can hit the D and East to Elliot Lake.  (gas in Espanola)

BTW....the C111D is a beautiful trail, and well groomed!

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into that, for sure.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Let us know dates & places so we can try to meet up.  I have always gone around on the C111D also.  Won't see much of Sudbury that way, but Windy Lake is good.  I usually run a bit farther each day, so if you want to go into Sudbury you should have plenty of time.

Scott

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into that, for sure.

We ate at Windy Lake a few years ago.  Motel style lodging. Restaurant was great. The motel looked just as good. Nice people. Gas onsite. Most importantly, the trail in was memorable. 

Great suggestion, monte1214

After seeing Sledjunks itinerary, it got me thinking of this one. 

Would plan on running local trails as well on the Northern end.

Anyone have good/bad on this??

Day 1 - Drive to Elliot Lake.

Day 2 – Elliot Lake to The Soo - Approx.250kms

Day 3 - The Soo to Searchmont via the Snow Train, then approx. 235kms by sled to Wawa. (Have to map out the tyrain times to see if it can be done in a day).  

Day 4  - Wawa to Hearst (via Hornepayne and Dubreuilville) - Approx. 300kms

Day 5 - Hearst to Smooth Rock Falls (via Kapuskasing and Moonbeam) - Approx. 250kms

Day 6 - Smooth Rock Falls to Cochrane (via Abitibi Canyon) - Approx. 250kms

Day 7 - Cochrane to Timmins (Via Iroquois Falls and local Timmins trails) - Approx. 200kms  

Day 8 - Timmins to Windy lake (via Gogama and Shining Tree) – The Big Day – Approx. 400kms -  Day 7, 8 & 9 could be split up maybe, and add an extra Day?)

Day 9 - Windy lake to Elliot lake (via Espanola) -  Approx. 225kms

Day 10 – Drive Home.

Is the Snow Train still running?????

Watching this closely for ideas and also a trip where maybe someone won't mind some extra company. Gotta tread carefully though. We went to dinner at a friends house last night. Three couples and two of them have places in Florida. They each suggested to my wife that we should come and visit them for a couple of weeks which means about a month away in prime sledding season. I had to cautiously suggest that it may be a possibility after sled season but not during. My wife was 2/3 of the way into having us spend Feb in Florida. Not going to happen. We have two new sleds that aren't even broken in yet.

I'm not necessarily eager but not dismissing the idea of a 10 hour drive one way to go sledding.

44 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

We have two new sleds that aren't even broken in yet.

My money's on her.

Offering 50 cents on the dollar for sleds. Opening bid :-P

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

My money's on her.

Offering 50 cents on the dollar for sleds. Opening bid :-P

I'm standing my ground on this one. I'm willing to go south as soon as sled season is over but not any sooner.

Archived