Forum background and colours.

Domino

What do you prefer?  Do you like dark, light or high contrast?

i'm looking at introducing a dark background and keeping this light/white version as a user selectable option.

I like the white option.

I like the alternating background colours for the posts however, I would prefer the blue background to be darker. Thanks for all the good work you do on this site Domino!

As somebody who is colour blind and needs reading glasses, this works better for me! Bigger and more contrast always helps.

I prefer hi contrast. To bright for my poor eyes.

1 hour ago, Reved said:

I prefer hi contrast. To bright for my poor eyes.

At the risk of this group sounding like Goldilocks (too hot, too cold), I also find this too bright.  It's "the future" and most will love it. However, one of the reasons I didn't migrate to Apple ios was what I perceived to be a bright, yet muddled colour look (ios). This doesn't come close to that (they had a Crayola feel last time I looked), but is in the same 'look' category.

Also, since many access this site on mobile, is the huge time stamp necessary? Reved was 42 minutes before me, but that time stamp is as big as his quoted message. No time stamp or, if possible, smaller. Thx Domino.

Signed,

Goldilocks (pic to follow)

Ok, the new theme is here.  You may select the previous theme by clicking on theme on the bottom left of the screen (scroll all the way down). 

If you would like to find something on the old forum, like your avatar that may have not imported incorrectly, you may access the old forum for a limited time at http://ontarioconditions.com/forums347

The old forum is now outdated and in READ ONLY mode. 

I like the format it's in right now

I love the new layout!!!  Looks refreshing and gets me pumped for sledding season AGAIN!!  Bring on that white gold

Prefer the new color scheme, seems everything stands out better .... sure love the mobile version !

My problem is that when I log in I'm shown the last post of each thread rather than the last unread post. I click on the little star or circle icon at the top left of a message, see the last posted  message, then have to scroll to earlier unread messages or else I miss them. 

The only small challenge I seem to have is Notifications. If someone quotes something I posted I get a notification that comes up in the top right corner. It seems that you can't turn these notifications off regardless of whether I am using a laptop, IPAD or Android phone.

I also don't have notify turned on at the bottom of the thread

11 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Thanks for all the work on the forum. It all looks good..

x2

Appreciate all that you doo. 

Have to get used to the movement towards grey text and reduction of contrast between text and background.

Happened to read a neat article on the topic last night (via a daily aggregator, medium.com), and it's worth seeing where design was and where it's at now. Basically, the author (older guy) liked the good old days:

Internet Then.png

versus the new standard (same info., especially in lower right quadrant):

Internet now.png

BRILLIANT WORK DOMINO! Thanks for moving us into 2016 (some of us, kicking and screaming :-P).

(article is here https://backchannel.com/how-the-web-became-unreadable-a781ddc711b6#.2zi07ulfy)

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The only small challenge I seem to have is Notifications. If someone quotes something I posted I get a notification that comes up in the top right corner. It seems that you can't turn these notifications off regardless of whether I am using a laptop, IPAD or Android phone.

I also don't have notify turned on at the bottom of the thread

02, you need to set your Notification preference globally.

Start here:

Notification Settings Menu.JPG

Then select here:

notification Settings.JPG

4 hours ago, slomo said:

I may be missing something, but is there a way to preview your posts before submitting? Comes in handy for arranging pictures and text, yet don't see a button for it. ?

I believe the theory is that the editor is now WYSIWYG. 

So it is a preview in realtime.

I think.....

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

My problem is that when I log in I'm shown the last post of each thread rather than the last unread post. I click on the little star or circle icon at the top left of a message, see the last posted  message, then have to scroll to earlier unread messages or else I miss them. 

Among other problem that you have, this one seems to work for me.

There maybe a first time you read it issue, where the forum needs to learn.  However it takes me to the first unread post.

I assume you are clicking on the dot or star indicted here:

Unread Example.JPG

19 minutes ago, Domino said:

02, you need to set your Notification preference globally.

Start here:

Notification Settings Menu.JPG

Then select here:

notification Settings.JPG

I have tried doing that. This is what I see

1.JPG

I go into the Notifications and I can't turn off A notification when new content is posted

2.JPG

I do think I may have just found the problem though. The save button appears at the bottom of my screen. I just found that I can scroll down further which isn't obvious.

3.JPG

Turning these two off will probably do the trick

Archived