A105Q status for 2017

700renegade

Anyone from the Cochrane area know the intention on A105Q this winter?

I'm planning a 800 mile route for a one day ride and that section of trail was my launching point as I figured it last year.  I'm trying to do it with no ( or minimal ) doubling back on the same trail.  I need to knock out some serious miles in the Cochrane / Timmins / Abitibi Canyon area early in the AM in order to get to Wawa before last call at the bar.

I'll doo 1500 smiles on the truck in 1 day to git to a snow destination, but I'm campin' in the bush before I put 800 on the sled in one day! :blink:

14 hours ago, 700renegade said:

Anyone from the Cochrane area know the intention on A105Q this winter?

IIRC they're leaving it off the list as they're down 1 groomer in the fleet. I'll ask around & see what they say, maybe with enough demand ......

From Polar Bear Riders ....

Bill Froud has just built a new lodge out on the A105Q about half way. He is working with the Lasarre club in QC to see if they are willing to groom half way about 80 km. Sounds like they are. I think I can convince thr corridor to permit Polar Bear Riders to break open the trail and groom it a few times during the winter. We will see how Bill makes out with the Lasarre club......

Tell people we are doing what we can behind the scenes to reopen it. We dont have a lot of support though as it is not a high volume trail and a long ways to groom. Thats why we are wanting QC to groom half of it.

Good luck on the 800 miles.

We met a group in Cochrane that did 1000 kms. Sunrise to sunset.  Actually, more like 8 pm when they rolled into the rib place.

Cochrane -  Hornepayne (can of coke and a bag of chips. Fuel). Back to Cochrane.

My kind of day. :)

Enjoy! Wish you all the best on this endeavour.

34 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Good luck on the 800 miles.

We met a group in Cochrane that did 1000 kms. Sunrise to sunset.  Actually, more like 8 pm when they rolled into the rib place.

Cochrane -  Hornepayne (can of coke and a bag of chips. Fuel). Back to Cochrane.

My kind of day. :)

Enjoy! Wish you all the best on this endeavour.

That'd be the route to take, lots of warp speed trails up here for that.!

On 10/8/2016 at 9:33 AM, Denis007 said:

Bill Froud has just built a new lodge out on the A105Q about half way. He is working with the Lasarre club in QC to see if they are willing to groom half way about 80 km.

He has a web site with a few pics of the lodge being built  dunnrightoutfitters.ca  I hope the A105Q is open this year makes a good loop through Quebec and Northern Ontario.

That trail needs a "Halfway Point ". TM  oc. Com :)

10 hours ago, Canuck said:

That trail needs a "Halfway Point ". TM  oc. Com :)

Would have come in handy in March 2011 :oops:

Our group sorely missed the A105Q last season and had to change many plans due to the trail not being open.  This makes the only good loop available coming from the northern corridor or returning to it. 

Re-opening this vital link and having a stopping off place in the center would rank up with the best sledding news I have heard since the re-opening of Halfway haven and the Chapleau - Timmins trail last season.

Hoping to start at Searchmont and cut over from Halfway to Timmins and down through Gowgonda and Kirkland Lake.  Then A110Q and looping in Quebec to return to LaReine and back to the northern corridor on A105Q.  Loop all the way around the top and back down through Dub & Wawa to finish the ride. 

This would be great if it re-opened!  

(As for 800 miles in a day...........Turns into too much work even if you had the best conditions and open fuel stops!) 

Maybe 800 Km?  My daughter and I have come close to 800 Km in a day.  Dub to Timmins last season and Hearst to Timmins and back to Hearst using different loops.  Perhaps my longest/hardest ride from SSM to Cochrane in one day back some years ago when Searchmont still had gas.  Now it would be longer since a stop at halfway would be required if no gas in Searchmont. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, gobills said:

800 in 24 hours???

That's the plan.

the 2 of us did 703 miles ( not KM ) from 5:30am to midnight about 5 years ago and we are retarded enough to try and top it.  Our only double-back last time was a little piece of the F trail towards Missanabie just to make sure we got past 700 by time we hit Wawa.

No way to do 800 without the A105Q or doubling back on yourself.

Only other spot to even try it is in QC - start in Valdor and end at Lac St Jean, but that's one desolate ride......  One visit to Chibougamau has satisfied my curiosity about that.

I guess if your starting in the night and finishing in the night.  Like I said, too much work at that point for me even though those are the trails to do it on.  Good luck on breaking your own record this year.

Our longest ride last season from Dub to Timmins was 7:30 am to 6:30 pm and then after settling in the hotel take a cab to dinner. 

Good luck to Bill.

It would be great to have this trail open again. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, IQ TURBO said:

Best of luck to Bill. Looking forward to hopefully riding that trail again..

Riding across that trail really brings home the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere. The day we rode from Amos to Cochrane it was nice & sunny.

• 2 weeks later...

The winter of 2014 we traveled the A105Q heading east Cochrane to La Sarre. Much to my surprise in the sub -30C weather we passed a group of winter campers on X country skis. It was after we passed the former Steel Mountain Outfitters but well before La Sarre this group crossed the snowmobile trail. As much as I like challenging the elements on a snowmobile, I don't want to camp out there in it. 

Hopefully Bill Froud's new lodge is a success & we can stay overnight there in the future.DSC02632.JPGDSC02634.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I sure hope that they were in training for something more better - like a polar expedition or something..

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:33 AM, Denis007 said:

Bill Froud has just built a new lodge out on the A105Q about half way. He is working with the Lasarre club in QC to see if they are willing to groom half way about 80 km. Sounds like they are. I think I can convince thr corridor to permit Polar Bear Riders to break open the trail and groom it a few times during the winter. We will see how Bill makes out with the Lasarre club......

Tell people we are doing what we can behind the scenes to reopen it. We dont have a lot of support though as it is not a high volume trail and a long ways to groom. Thats why we are wanting QC to groom half of it.

The A105Q is missing from the interactive map.

Very sad to see this and thus my hopes to stay in Cochrane and venture to Quebec using the A105Q are gone.  I wanted to visit the lodge along the way, but not this season.............

The Trails to the west are coming back it seems as the A107 is back on the map and Longlac will replace my trip to Cochrane when the A107 opens.

6 hours ago, AC+YA said:

The A105Q is missing from the interactive map.

Very sad to see this and thus my hopes to stay in Cochrane and venture to Quebec using the A105Q are gone.  I wanted to visit the lodge along the way, but not this season.............

The Trails to the west are coming back it seems as the A107 is back on the map and Longlac will replace my trip to Cochrane when the A107 opens.

Scott

We also was hoping that trail would come back ,but it does not look good for that happening, only option for us is to come back thru New Liskeard or to Kirkland Lake ,which We never tried.

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

What about crossing using the A110Q?..

This is what we would have to do, but we got to know people in LaReine and always like to go up that way which is nearly impossible now because we come from SSM where we leave our sleds.  We drive from down by the Indiana border with Michigan and so our travel time and then the distance figures into it.  The trail from Chapleau to Timmins and then down and east to Kirkland Lake is much longer a route and the trails much more punishing than cruising across the top.  We always love hitting Dub to see our friends there and so the A105Q was our connection.

Also, we never know when the C101D will actually open so we can get over that way and the trails east to Sudbury and up to that connection are not always in good shape.  We do lots of distance, but I am getting older and 250 to 300 miles are all I want to do in a day.  I still work and my daughter has limited time also.

I miss the A105Q which once open seemed to stay open because it was NORTH. Not too many trail killing thaws up there.

46 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

Scott

We also was hoping that trail would come back ,but it does not look good for that happening, only option for us is to come back thru New Liskeard or to Kirkland Lake ,which We never tried.

Paige and I wanted to try and make a loop with you guys or at least part of one in Quebec this year, but no A105Q will probably kill that part of it.

Keep us informed and we will try to meet and ride for a day on your way out or back.

Take care & say hi to the boys.

Scott & Paige

Have you considered crossing Abitibi Lake ?  It'd be quite an adventure, we would ice fish on it from the Ghost or Lightning rivers, usually trek over to Turtle Island and fish around there.  Compass and/or GPS are pretty mandatory there, it's huge, and easy to get turned around, even if you're very familiar with the lake.  It's happened to us before in a snowstorm in the dark, a very scary feeling.  But with good tracks or a route programmed into the gps, a topo map and compass, it'd be doable.  Scratchers would be needed later in the year, as it will get icy with little snow.  

Take a look at it on the ITG, using Google Hybrid as a background, you could get fuel at La Reine, likely make your way directly to the lake and then head across, catching a local backroad or logging road on the West side...  Iroquois Falls is nearby to the river, as is Cochrane.  

Something to ponder .....

Archived