2017 Permits on Sale - Who will be first

02Sled

if you have access to the club house there is a graph showing the sales to date.

If the graph is accurate, we are in trouble.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, soupkids said:

if you have access to the club house there is a graph showing the sales to date.

If the graph is accurate, we are in trouble.

Can you post a screenshot or summarize results please.

I was expecting an increase due to the fact it is online only now and most everyone is used to online Permit purchasing and a $23.50 savings is certainly significant.

Permit sales are 59398, up 3% from last year.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Thank you for sharing.

37 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I would think that a 3% increase is mildly disappointing but tough to speculate as to what it means.

It would certainly be interesting to see how many Americans are buying.

I think that the word about online only may not reach them and they are going to show up expecting to buy their trail Permit at their normal motel or dealer/seller but it isn't going to happen this season and they will be pissed.

We had an issue late last night with one of our American buyers who knew of the online only but there was some screwup that the sale didn't go through but was resolved in the last hour or so.

3% may not be a bad number considering last year's dismal winter. I wonder if many are waiting to see if we get a decent start to the season before shelling out their permit money. Perhaps some are willing to take a chance and not buy a permit until the season is proven to be a good one.

Just my 2 cents

Talked to riding buddies who don't purchase much (if anything ) online.

They're 4 for 4 - haven't bought " yet".

2 will buy later in the season. 

2 will wait for snow. 

All 4 bought from their snowmobile dealer last year.

If I recall correctly last year early season was a healthy increase over the prior year having just completed two really good years for snow so another 3% this year is actually a very positive aspect

3 percent is positive increase for sure, better then a decrease. Going to be later start, but suppose to be a good cold winter. Those that wait, will be the first to buy next year. Just need Mother Nature to give us a good season. Cheers! 

3 percent is positive increase for sure, better then a decrease. Going to be later start, but suppose to be a good cold winter. Those that wait, will be the first to buy next year. Just need Mother Nature to give us a good season. Cheers! 

I dunno I have a bad feeling we are in for a warm winter again..

53 minutes ago, SuperG said:

7d9020407f6ced978c61699cc368839398d85277ac9e1efcf308e597f4152466.jpg

10 hours ago, SuperG said:

If that's what we get it's your fault this year for buying the new sled. :D I took the bullet and took the blame last year when we bought the two new sleds so it's someone else's turn.

11 hours ago, SuperG said:

Shhhhh...!!!

30 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If that's what we get it's your fault this year for buying the new sled. :D I took the bullet and took the blame last year when we bought the two new sleds so it's someone else's turn.

I could have shared that blame with you, 02, since we did the same thing last year...but it's not our fault this time around if Mother Nature craps out again...

On the news last night they reported that Environment Canada has updated the forecast for this winter. They predict it will be a degree or two warmer than what would be considered a normal winter HOWEVER.... the much warmer than usual water in Lake Huron / Georgian Bay should create much more snow and more intense snow squalls than usual. If we get some frost in the ground which doesn't necessarily need bitter cold and then lots of snow with temps of -10 to -20 instead of the bitter cold that is ideal riding for me.

Last year I predicted it would snow on Wednesdays and rain on Fridays, since I bought my new sled.  I was not far off.

It don't matter how much it snows, if it is not cold, it won't stay in Southern Ont. and will just rain when the jet stream oscilation goes up.  When it's wintrer, it is supposed to be cold.  This don't happen anymore.  So now we have Pine Beatles and Emerald Ash Bores and soon Zika mosqutoes next.

When I was a kid in the late 60's, every night on the way from the barn to the house, the snow would crunch under my boots from the cold.  Now it's a lot of slush when walking the dog.  When we had the "Polar Vortex" winters a few years ago, the snow stayed in Southern Ontario and we all had lots of riding.  It did not snow any more, it just stayed.  That's what we are missing.

BP

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

When we had the "Polar Vortex" winters a few years ago, the snow stayed in Southern Ontario and we all had lots of riding.  It did not snow any more, it just stayed.  That's what we are missing.

BP

Pretty accurate re Snow on Wednesday and rain on Friday, last year.

Your polar vortex comment ties into a newspaper article I read today about the now bankrupt clothing retailer DANIER Leather.  " The extremely cold and long winters in 2014 and 2015 left the retailer with an excess of lightweight jackets that had  to be liquidated ".

Tough to predict weather. One bad sign for us- Lowe's is clearing road salt ((just like last year ).  Retailer 's metrics are so advanced (except the example above) , they're worth following .

Great observations, BP.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Pretty accurate re Snow on Wednesday and rain on Friday, last year.

Your polar vortex comment ties into a newspaper article I read today about the now bankrupt clothing retailer DANIER Leather.  " The extremely cold and long winters in 2014 and 2015 left the retailer with an excess of lightweight jackets that had  to be liquidated ".

Tough to predict weather. One bad sign for us- Lowe's is clearing road salt ((just like last year ).  Retailer 's metrics are so advanced (except the example above) , they're worth following .

Great observations, BP.

Sometimes the retailers get it right and others oh so wrong. Snowblower orders go in about a year ahead of time. I know a few winters ago Toronto got a fair bit of snow and retailers were sold out by mid late January unable to get more because the manufacturer was building lawnmowers. One retailer had a buyer who rolled the dice and ordered an exceptional large number of snowblowers and won. He was the company hero since they were the only ones with snowblowers available.

hate to be a downer but, historically, after an el'nino year, you get la' nina. you get a similar weather pattern, warm, wet. the last BIG el nino/lanina that was bad for us snowmobilers was winter of 97-98, followed by 98-99. we were done riding even in northern Ontario by mid-end feb. I am afraid that is what is on our horizon. time l tell but,  it doesn't look good, no matter what the "forecasters" are "predicting".

last year it started late, in the north but, we finished with a strong late season, mid/late april riding available. I hope we get some decent days in. good luck to us all. Ski

I am not going to worry about the warmer weather. It is Canada and we will get cold and snow. Just have to head out and ride, when trails are available. Last year I went up to Elliot lake area and trails were great and not many sleders around. 

It's going to be a great winter. Lake effect snow will look after us

We can't control the weather ...

I have my permits and fingers crossed ...

I did ride up in the Barry's Bay area last year ...seemed to be lots of snow out that way ....a lot better than Huntsville and Bracebridge ...

Long drive for a weekend though ...

Archived