Ramp to load Snowmobile in Pickup Truck

Muskoka_Mike

7 hours ago, Blake G said:

The tri-fold ramp looks great, and given the ramp angle with enough speed I think you could clear the truck cab if you decided you wanted to go for another ride.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere on YouTube there is a video of exactly that. Guy runs up onto the back of the pickup and lands on the cab of the truck smashing it nicely.

On 23/11/2016 at 6:38 PM, Diceman said:

1/2 A days work and $60 and you get this..lol...works great with false floor and all...then slides under and can still close tailgate...

alderdice 05.jpg

alderdice 06.jpg

I've built a couple of these, the current one fits my 6 1/2' box, but the rear section is on a hinge folded up to close the tailgate, then folds back onto the tailgate to become 8' long.  Ramp fits under the deck, has brackets with steel pins that drop into holes in the back edge of the tailgate.  No straps required, 4 pins 2 each side, it's not going anywhere.  Milled up a 10" poplar with the chainsaw & the portable sawmill ... cost ?  Gas ... and a handfull of screws and recycled hinges from another project.

Mind you it's nowhere near as sexy as yours ... lol !

6 hours ago, snapper said:

The tri-fold ramp looks great, and given the ramp angle with enough speed I think you could clear the truck cab if you decided you wanted to go for another ride.

It looks like the same trifold 1500 lb ramp is on sale at Princess Auto this week for $249.99

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Canadian Tire Flyer for sale starting this Thursday. The TRI FOLD RAMP is on sale for $179.99 which is $150.00 off regular price.

On 11/28/2016 at 6:02 PM, mczed38 said:

So used my tri fold ramp to haul my sled over to the Erin Santa Parade staging garage on the weekend. A couple of things learned:

Make sure the little ramp extenders go UNDER my plywood deck protector next time. I was little too vigours with the go juice and my skis ended up sitting on top of the Avalanche bed gutters. So I let the machine slide back a bit. And the backs of the skis went under said little ramps. A bit worrying. lol. Anyways just folded the flexible portion of the gutters out of the way to let the skis come back underneath it, jumped on and drove the machine on the rest of the way. 

Make sure that the track is high enough off the tailgate or bed protector to get that middle ramp extender into place for off loading. NOTE: Adjustments to me made to my bed protector to provide said clearance. 

Maneuvering a trifold ramp with a long track sled on a short track box into place for the offload is not easy for one person. I will be adding some sort of lock mechanism to the ramp to hold it all sturdy while getting it into place..

Sliding the back of my sled to one side or the other allows for the ramp to be loaded in at an angle and slides right up under the belly pan. Didn't get that in a pic.

And don't worry, the machine was held in with ratchet straps. I just took them off before I remembered to take some pics.  

mysledloaded.jpg

ratchet strap in the rail holes NOT in the way you have it

I just bought  ramp pro by caliber. Got it on amazon, free shipping no tax for 260$ Its 400$ on their webiste. I spent along time researching and found this to be the best. I have already used it a few time and LOVE IT. I have a 15 renegade XRS and load it in a new F150. EASY BREASY.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:21 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I just got the Canadian Tire Flyer for sale starting this Thursday. The TRI FOLD RAMP is on sale for $179.99 which is $150.00 off regular price.

Bought this as well, haven't even opened the box yet, but will be tonight!!

I saw a truck going down the road yesterday with a deck above the box and two sleds on the deck. I suspect similar to this but not quite as slick.

I'm curious. Doesn't this make the truck real top heavy and prone to side winds and also real slow on bends. I would suspect you need some heavy suspension to counter the centrifugal force on the bends. Especially with a couple of 4 strokes.

I travelled with a friend to a mountain boondoggle in Whistler with that set-up, O2Sled. Except with a yellow halter top. They travel short distances and the top heavy aspect is 'fine' for the half 
hour trip. They use lightweight skidoos for the mountains, so weight was not an issue.

At most parking lots, the have wooden ramps ‘up’. The truck just backs up to the ramp that’s onsite.

Not an Ontario - 8 hr drive -  solution, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

So several hauls with the ramp and some lessons learned:

1) a tri fold ramp, long track sled on a short bed truck, and a bed protector such as mine is a ticket to no fun when off loading. Fix is in the works to mod the tri fold to prevent it from re-folding whilst trying to get it positioned for off load solo.

2) Load into in a narrow bed such as the Avalanche or a step side truck can be tricky. Case in point when I load out of the garage into the Avy with it backed up the driveway. Just the angle of the driveway to the street causes the buttend of the truck to ride higher hence increasing the angle of approach. This will cause my skis to run on top of the Avy gutters and aforementioned no fun times will ensue. Only fix I have for the home load is to make my way to the street hoping not to etch the driveway with carbides too much. 

3) I will be adding  spring loaded side guides to help keep the skis on the rails. 

Overall this is still the most affordable option for my situation and waaaaaaaay easier than hauling the 19ft Neo around when solo riding. 

I'll refrain from posting any more pics to this thread. Well maybe one more.

56045064.jpg 

Thanks for your updates, Captain :)

I'm presently using a 4 bed trailer to haul 2 sleds, and at times sense it will only be me, driving solo to meet buddies  either at cottage or further north. Your input and humour is appreciated.

On 2016-12-27 at 4:35 PM, mczed38 said:

So several hauls with the ramp and some lessons learned:

1) a tri fold ramp, long track sled on a short bed truck, and a bed protector such as mine is a ticket to no fun when off loading. Fix is in the works to mod the tri fold to prevent it from re-folding whilst trying to get it positioned for off load solo.

2) Load into in a narrow bed such as the Avalanche or a step side truck can be tricky. Case in point when I load out of the garage into the Avy with it backed up the driveway. Just the angle of the driveway to the street causes the buttend of the truck to ride higher hence increasing the angle of approach. This will cause my skis to run on top of the Avy gutters and aforementioned no fun times will ensue. Only fix I have for the home load is to make my way to the street hoping not to etch the driveway with carbides too much. 

3) I will be adding  spring loaded side guides to help keep the skis on the rails. 

Overall this is still the most affordable option for my situation and waaaaaaaay easier than hauling the 19ft Neo around when solo riding. 

I'll refrain from posting any more pics to this thread. Well maybe one more.

56045064.jpg 

Tri fold ramp. I've done a 30$ fix for the solo load and most of all unload. A piece of plywood and two hinges. I posted earlier about it being near impossible with one guy to get the tri fold under the track to unload as well as the skis catching the ramp and slipping under the the outer ramps. The plywood gives enough height to allow room under the track and studs to slip it underneath and allow the skis to glide over and onto the ramp during off load. I also have a spray in bed liner which the carbides grab and smoke belts. I just need a few ski guides to keep the plywood from getting destroyed. I can fold the tail gate section up into the bed when not in use and close the gate. As you can see in the second photo my ramp doesn't have the orange hangers just on the framing. It has 4" of extra length. If need be a carry a 2x4 to put under the ramp on the ground to prevent the outer portions from folding up when the weight starts in the center portion when unloading on unlevel ground or deeper snow. IMG_2401.JPGIMG_2402.JPG

• 11 months later...

Bump

Use to be a guy on here called ramp man. He had a slick truck bed setup. High mileage had one of his ramps, best easiest ramp I have ever seen. 

Archived