Ramp to load Snowmobile in Pickup Truck

Muskoka_Mike

2 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

The ctc trifold ramp is further reduced until Thursday at $199.  I picked one up today.  

Bastards!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-10-19 at 11:37 PM, kimrr said:

Just get a pair of tail gate supports they work great. I use them with my roll on ramp in short box.

here is a pic of them 

Sorry guys my video did not work. If anyone is interested in 

seeing the rolling ramp I use with the tailgate supports

shoot me your email and I will send them. I can't figure out 

how to post pics/videos on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I want to thank everyone for their advice and opinions on what ramp I should get. This past weekend, I made up my mind and went out and purchased the Lock and Roll system from Team K-Os. I met Sean, who is a really nice guy. I could have talked to him for hours about sledding, but he seemed busy. I told him about Ontario Condition, and he said he will check it out.

Anyways, the winter tires are on, the sled has been turned on and tested, everything is a go for this season. All we need is snow. Looking forward to seeing you all on the trails.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

1/2 A days work and $60 and you get this..lol...works great with false floor and all...then slides under and can still close tailgate...

alderdice 05.jpg

alderdice 06.jpg

I like it.

2 hours ago, Diceman said:

1/2 A days work and $60 and you get this..lol...works great with false floor and all...then slides under and can still close tailgate...

alderdice 05.jpg

alderdice 06.jpg

We built two of those. Back in the day you could put 2 sleds side by side in the box but as sleds evolved and became wider, only one would fit. We built the false bottom a little different but the ramp was not nearly as rigid as yours.

10 hours ago, catinental couch said:

We built two of those. Back in the day you could put 2 sleds side by side in the box but as sleds evolved and became wider, only one would fit. We built the false bottom a little different but the ramp was not nearly as rigid as yours.

Trucks got narrower too 

3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I should measure my classic body against the kids Silverado body and my youngest son's square body. I have never checked to see if there was much inside measurement difference.

As far back as I recall the traditional p/u box inside was 4' between the wheel wells and 8' front to tailgate. That's going back to 1978. Could be wrong or perhaps it was brand specific. I always thought it was standard across the brands though. It covered the ability to put in a 4X8 sheet of plywood for example.

It's not between the wheel wells that we are concerned with. It is the inside measurement between the top flats of the box. With the false bottom, the outside skis ride over the inner fenders. On the "67" to "72" Chev and GMC pickup trucks, the top flats of the box were quite narrow but I don't know what the inside side to side measurements were.

I found a YouTube video of an old guy unloading a sled without a ramp.

Didn't seem to have any problems.

So used my tri fold ramp to haul my sled over to the Erin Santa Parade staging garage on the weekend. A couple of things learned:

Make sure the little ramp extenders go UNDER my plywood deck protector next time. I was little too vigours with the go juice and my skis ended up sitting on top of the Avalanche bed gutters. So I let the machine slide back a bit. And the backs of the skis went under said little ramps. A bit worrying. lol. Anyways just folded the flexible portion of the gutters out of the way to let the skis come back underneath it, jumped on and drove the machine on the rest of the way. 

Make sure that the track is high enough off the tailgate or bed protector to get that middle ramp extender into place for off loading. NOTE: Adjustments to me made to my bed protector to provide said clearance. 

Maneuvering a trifold ramp with a long track sled on a short track box into place for the offload is not easy for one person. I will be adding some sort of lock mechanism to the ramp to hold it all sturdy while getting it into place..

Sliding the back of my sled to one side or the other allows for the ramp to be loaded in at an angle and slides right up under the belly pan. Didn't get that in a pic.

And don't worry, the machine was held in with ratchet straps. I just took them off before I remembered to take some pics.  

mysledloaded.jpg

27 minutes ago, mczed38 said:

So used my tri fold ramp to haul my sled over to the Erin Santa Parade staging garage on the weekend. A couple of things learned:

Make sure the little ramp extenders go UNDER my plywood deck protector next time. I was little too vigours with the go juice and my skis ended up sitting on top of the Avalanche bed gutters. So I let the machine slide back a bit. And the backs of the skis went under said little ramps. A bit worrying. lol. Anyways just folded the flexible portion of the gutters out of the way to let the skis come back underneath it, jumped on and drove the machine on the rest of the way. 

Make sure that the track is high enough off the tailgate or bed protector to get that middle ramp extender into place for off loading. NOTE: Adjustments to me made to my bed protector to provide said clearance. 

Maneuvering a trifold ramp with a long track sled on a short track box into place for the offload is not easy for one person. I will be adding some sort of lock mechanism to the ramp to hold it all sturdy while getting it into place..

Sliding the back of my sled to one side or the other allows for the ramp to be loaded in at an angle and slides right up under the belly pan. Didn't get that in a pic.

And don't worry, the machine was held in with ratchet straps. I just took them off before I remembered to take some pics.  

mysledloaded.jpg

Personally I would be using several heavier duty ratchet straps to ensure that $15,000 sled remains in the pickup box.

13 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Personally I would be using several heavier duty ratchet straps to ensure that $15,000 sled remains in the pickup box.

Like I said the straps were there...before the pic. 

30 minutes ago, mczed38 said:

30 minutes ago, mczed38 said:

31 minutes ago, mczed38 said:

Sorry about that.

Archived