Ramp to load Snowmobile in Pickup Truck

Muskoka_Mike

Where do you keep the ramp while out riding to ensure it will be there when you come back?

Tied onto the back of his sled....makes for a nice picnic table for his lunch of buttertarts and pies....hahahahahahahahahahahaha where else would he put it, the back of the pick up truck?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a padlock and good quality length of shiny chain that I keep behind the seat of the truck. I usually leave the chain inside the cab, though, if I figure I could reload by using a nearby snowbank should someone steal my ramp. Most times I just leave the ramp lying in the bed of the truck with the tailgate up, and hope nobody rips me off. If I am in an area without nearby snowbanks, I tend to secure the ramp with the chain and padlock.

Only the lowest of the low would steal a ramp from someone's truck. I like to think that would never happen when a group of sledders park for the day. Also, some would say that I am overly idealistic in my thinking. Old school - sledders only help other sledders. They do not steal.

Tied onto the back of his sled....makes for a nice picnic table for his lunch of buttertarts and pies....hahahahahahahahahahahaha 

We really have to be nicer to Blake, moving forward .... :-P

Tied onto the back of his sled....makes for a nice picnic table for his lunch of buttertarts and pies...

Best idea I've heard all week.

I bought this one years ago from Princess Auto on sale and it works great.  Its a tri-fold and 84" long (worth the extra len) so it does not have a steep incline.  Its also fairly light and come complete with the guides.

8329989.jpg

Yes pretty close to the same one i got from CT. Im really impressed by it and its simple! does the trick for sure. As for securing it while your riding if your that worried about it other than putting in the back of your truck with the tailgate up, I just drive one tire over it and locked your truck. No ones getting it then. .

Yes pretty close to the same one i got from CT. Im really impressed by it and its simple! does the trick for sure. As for securing it while your riding if your that worried about it other than

putting in the back of your truck with the tailgate

up, I just drive one tire over it and locked your

truck. No ones getting it then. .

That is a good idea, :)

Yes pretty close to the same one i got from CT. Im really impressed by it and its simple! does the trick for sure. As for securing it while your riding if your that worried about it other than putting in the back of your truck with the tailgate up, I just drive one tire over it and locked your truck. No ones getting it then. .

How well does it work if you have studs. I would think the studs would damage the aluminum rungs.

Mine fits closed in my 6.5 bed.  Did the trick, now I have an enclosed trailer.

Seen that many times while hunting, a truck tire driven over top of the ramp. I think if i had an expensive set Id do the same or cable lock it to the trailer at the very least.  I only use my older trifold for the atv, so if it does go missing theres usually other ways to get it loaded up in a pinch.  

I've been using the one like ArcticCrusher posted a pic of but from CanTire. Ratchet strap from about the 3 or 4th cross bar to the hitch chain hook locations and it works fine. I use a small 2x6 under the track near the end of the gate to lift the last bit of track off the gate so the ramp will fit under for loading and unloading. I find that the studs pinch the ramp under the track and makes it more difficult to pull out after load and to get under the sled to unload. I cable lock it to one of the tie down points inside the box when I'm off riding. 

Any pics available of a sled and the ramp loaded together? Is there a preferred way to load the ramp in with the sled? Besides or maybe underneath. Here's what I've done to make a bed protector that can stay in full time. I have to double hinge because the gutters that support the bed cover on the Avalanche are narrower than 48". 

bedprotect1.jpg

bedprotect2.jpg

bedprotect3.jpg

bedprotect4.jpg

14713790_10155219637555021_6676614014692

14572380_10155219637790021_8003532230170

one hand on the rear bumper and the other on the ramp, real easy to lift as all the weight is at the front

Great advice here. I'm tempted to load the Viper onto my Toyota Tundra, but bought the 5' cargo bed. Seeing the Avalanche (which I think is similar) gives me hope. I've used the Tundra with a sheet of plywood underneath a few times (dealer/service). Quite the overhang (Yamaha Viper on a 5' bed). 

Never thought I'd use the cargo bed as a permanent means of transportation, but enjoy the mobility it offers.  Enjoyed Blake G's photos over the years (cargo bed, not him :icon_photo: ). Thanks again for the pics and advice.

On 09/10/2016 at 6:40 PM, whiskywizard said:

I think the post above ^ landed in the wrong thread.  

It seems to happen more often lately ....

Don't know what I'm gonna do this season, got a cap on the pickup now, and have no plans of removing it for the winter.  Ramp that I have slides under a platform, which is full width of the box and 6" high.  I'm not sure I have that much headroom under the cap door to clear with the platform in place, but I believe it clears without.  We'll know more when I get into the tempo a bit more in coming weeks.

My other option was to use the same ramp I have now (without the platform), but cut in half lengthwise and reinforced, and use it in 2 halves, so it'd be easier to handle the halves than the whole 4' wide piece.  And it's just wood, so I don't care so much if it disappears.  Might be easier to build a new setup that's 2 pieces, lighter and longer.  6 1/2 feet is a bit on the short side, prolly add a foot so they still fit in the box crossways standing on edge with the tailgate closed .....

I purchased the CTC ramp today. My brother and I own a 2 place enclosed trailer when we bought sleds 3 years ago. I picked up a used Polaris 600 this spring as a spare/extra sled. I think the ramp will be perfect for the few times I want to bring the extra sled and my girlfriend or one of my sons with us. I would have preferred a trailer but i really dont have the room to keep it here in the yard. 

Here's my 2013 Switchback 600 parked as if the mid gate was up. I had it down when I hauled my sled upto Orillia. I'm still concerned about the weight on the gate. But others say no sweat. Other pic is a buddy's Freeride in a Dodge short-ish box. I think for short hauls, like my place to Belwood Lake, Erin, Tiviotdale, Atwood, Shelburne should be fine. Don't think I'd want to go 8 or 10 hours with that weight on the gate. I'm thinking about getting a bed-extender but undecided.

freeride in a dodge.jpg

switchback mid gate up.jpg

On 2016-10-13 at 10:43 PM, mczed38 said:

Here's my 2013 Switchback 600 parked as if the mid gate was up. I had it down when I hauled my sled upto Orillia. I'm still concerned about the weight on the gate. But others say no sweat. Other pic is a buddy's Freeride in a Dodge short-ish box. I think for short hauls, like my place to Belwood Lake, Erin, Tiviotdale, Atwood, Shelburne should be fine. Don't think I'd want to go 8 or 10 hours with that weight on the gate. I'm thinking about getting a bed-extender but undecided.

freeride in a dodge.jpg

switchback mid gate up.jpg

Just get a pair of tail gate supports they work great. I use them with my roll on ramp in short box.

here is a pic of them 

24 minutes ago, kimrr said:

Just get a pair of tail gate supports they work great. I use them with my roll on ramp in short box.

here is a pic of them 

Sorry when I tried to post pics disappeared. You can goggle them... images of tail gate supports by dg manufacting. There are pics on the page

Kimrr, likely you uploaded the pictures when you were posting, but then there is a button for each to add it to the post that you may have missed.

On 2016-10-19 at 11:37 PM, kimrr said:

here is a pic of them 

IMG_1217.PNG

On 10/19/2016 at 11:47 PM, kimrr said:

tail gate supports by dg manufacting

Kim, have you ever watched closely for tailgate deflection during loading?  How have they been for you?  I ask this because the OEM tailgate cables are anchored to points that are purpose-designed to support heavy loads on the tailgate.  I see these bars are anchored to the tailgate's latch points, which were designed to just keep the tailgate closed, which makes me wonder if these points can really support this load.

Is there anything that uses the trailer hitch?  I'd trust a post in compression more than these bars attached to latch points. 

here is a pic of them 

Wiskey I find they work great , they seem very solid been using them for two years now. They would be very easy to make for any metal fabricator. They are much stronger than the wire supports. The wire supports work good when truck is new but when they get older or if coating has been damaged they rust and weaken. Will cause a lot of damage if they let go. I use them for extra insurance. It is not 

recommended to transport with them , they are to be used for loading only.

Archived