Ramp to load Snowmobile in Pickup Truck

Muskoka_Mike

Hi Everyone. I hope you all enjoyed the summer and are looking forward to this winter.

I just got myself a pickup truck (my first truck) and I would like to load my sled in the bed. I need a ramp, but this would be the first time that I will be doing this, so I would like the easiest ramp to use. I am terrified about damaging my truck or sled when I use it. I have been doing some research and found a few options.

The Revarc looks like a real good ramp that is easy to use, but the warranty is voided if I have studs on my sled (which I do).

Team K-os (Good Ontario company) has a ramp that you park your sled on a slant, and you have to push it into the bed (I think it is called a Lock and Roll system). This is a good option for me, but I emailed the contact a bunch of questions, last week, and have yet to hear back.

The Black Ice Tri-Fold ramp looks good, and it has protection against studs, but I cannot find it anywhere in Canada, and with the exchange, it seems to be very expensive.

I found instructions for building my own, but I don't have many tools (nor do I trust my handyman skills), so I am a little hesitant to try.

Anyways, I am open for suggestions, and I am sure the people on this forum will be able to help me out. Thanks.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am biased to this design since I know the owner/designer. Great product. http://www3.sympatico.ca/lynwood2/index.html

Jerry

There is a really nice one on sale at Royal this week at their tent sale and it is on display...

Rampman's lock and roll is a great unit and well built.  He is on here (rampman) so you can send him a PM.

I've been using an aluminum tri-fold from Princess Auto for three or four years. Cost was less than 300. Works fine on my older Ram but is a little trickier on my higher four x four Ram. Would be fine on the taller truck if the ramp were a little longer. The trifold is light enough to man handle. To be honest I use it to load only. For unloading I simply drive the sled carefully off the truck (standing beside the sled, not on it). Half the time I can find a snowbank for loading and don't even need the ramp. Nothing quicker than driving off to a level parking lot, then reloading later from a snowbank. The ramp isn't needed in such instances.

I've looked at the lock and roll a few times. Sounds good in theory, and works well in demonstrations done on bare ground. Not sure how well it would actually work in heavy snow or slush, or fluctuating temperatures. I would be afraid of the sliding ramp freezing to the bed of the truck. Not saying this would actually happen, and a person could try to keep it swept out and clean all the time, but when you are in a hurry.....With the trifold this doesn't happen because the device is stowed on it's edge beside the sled and is lifted and moved every time you load or unload.

Royal has several in their catalogue......some of them look longer and better built than the one I bought at Princess. They cost more too.

Hey Muskoka Mike!

Last year I debated the same thing and I ended up getting a tri panel folding aluminum ramp from crappy tire. Its 85" long which for me was close to the length I wanted for getting it on and off my truck. I was surprisingly happy with it and they are light weight around 50lbs or less. All I did was tied the one ratchet strap to it and my safety strap hole on the truck to keep it from kicking out. An the price was right for me at 299.99. They also had the carbide protection on the sides of the ramp for your skis. I do highly recommend it. it worked really well for my 137" track sled without studs.  Heres the blurb about it  from crappy tire...

FEATURES

• Tri-Panel Loading Ramp includes built-in grooved polyethylene ski guides for safe and easy loading of your snowmobile equipment
  • Extra-wide 54" (137 cm) ramp deck is also suitable for loading equipment year-round including ATVs, dirt bikes, lawn equipment and other wheeled items
  • Long 85” (216 cm) overall ramp length makes for shallow and easy loading angles
  • Accommodates a maximum loading deck height of 34-1/2" (47.5 cm) from the ground
  • Lightweight and durable aluminum construction with 1,500 lbs (680 kg) maximum total capacity/ 500 lbs (227 kg) max. per panel
  • Three-panel accordion fold for easy and compact storage and transport
  • Includes two cam buckle tie-down straps for added stability while loading
  • Always ensure loading ramps are securely fastened before loading to avoid slipping. Where possible, it is best to remove tailgates (or check their capacity) and winch your load up the ramp or walk it from the side. Always use caution when handling folding ramps near pinch points.
  •  

Build one, I filmed my buddy loading and unloading his sled, I have the same basic design

3 or 4 2x3s 9-10ft length

4x8 3/4" thick sheet of plywood treated is preferable

4 caster wheels

some aircraft cable

old bedliner to use for ski guides

old track  for traction 3-4ft length or in my case I used  old sliders cut 18inchs wide  to use as traction

real simple to make and $150-200

here is pictures of mine

10408580_10153860663910021_8557343683677

I built a ramp & platform out of planks & 2x4s, ramp slides out from under the platform. I'd take pics but 3 sleds are sitting on the 2 pieces out in the tempo ...

How well is your sled going to fit your truck box. If you happen to have a 4 door truck and a short box you might find most of the sled's track sits on the tailgate. On some trucks there is not much space between the bumper and tailgate when the gate is down and a slight twist or bump and the gate may hit the bumper. I guess the easiest ramp would be an electric operated one but that would be at a price. Look up Ramp Pro on Powermodz and check out Youtube for more options and ramp failures, more so when loading ATV's and motorcycles.

RW

How well is your sled going to fit your truck box. If you happen to have a 4 door truck and a short box you might find most of the sled's track sits on the tailgate. On some trucks there is not much space between the bumper and tailgate when the gate is down and a slight twist or bump and the gate may hit the bumper. I guess the easiest ramp would be an electric operated one but that would be at a price. Look up Ramp Pro on Powermodz and check out Youtube for more options and ramp failures, more so when loading ATV's and motorcycles.

RW

I have a short box Dodge and a 144" longtrack Polaris, does not stick out too far, never had issues with the tail gate rubbing the past 4yrs

11046477_10153854526325021_1736129242261

the only time weight goes on the tail gate is lo loading

once I got the sled on the ramp inside the box the weight is all on the caster wheels in the box

the weight of sleds is over the skis for the most part which should be wheel  wells in the box

I believe a regular cab short box is 6.5 ft box. A 4 door pickup short box is only 5.5 ft. Not sure how much of a difference that would make to his sled hanging out. I don't recall how long he said it was but with your sled it would hang another foot out

Just do like the stand up guys, lift the rear of the sled way up and close the tailgate .... don't even need straps.!!!!!

A 2006  GMC 4 door has a box length of about 69 " with a box liner.  On a Ski Doo XP it's about the same distance, 69" plus/minus from the ski tip to where the front of the track touches the bed of the truck. Depending on the length of the track , most of it' would be on the tailgate. Don't know any details from the OP. He was looking for suggestions and I offered him something to think about.

RW

Hey Mike,

I have the E-Z loader and it works great. I got out with you near the end of the season last your with Nunzio. I have loaded everything from a 1991 Mach to a 2009 MXZ ( and hopefully a 2015 renegade if all goes to plan ).

I never had any issues getting my sled on the back of my truck, it is though a little intimidating the first couple of times. If your ever in the Markham area, your more than welcome to come by and have a look.

Paul

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am hoping that there are a few options at the snowmobiling show in Toronto for me to take a look at and possibly purchase. Also, for those wondering, my truck has a 6.5 ft bed. I can easily fit the sled in it. Also, another question. I have bed spray done in my truck and I want it to look nice after I put my sled in there. Do people protect their bed by putting plywood or some other protection against the carbides? What about the plastic cap at the top of the tailgate? I was told that part is going to get chewed up.

I took a look at the ramp for sale at Royal Distributing, and it seemed a little too short. The one at Canadian tire is a better length and the price is really good. I am not going to buy anything until after the snowmobile show.

Right now, though, I am leaning towards a lock and roll system because that would minimize the scrapping of my bed. I saw 09 MXZ's (Paul) ramp last year, and it looked really easy to use. Can you tell me where you got it? Still looking for suggestions, so if you have a good idea, please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Mike, just a thought, why not just pick up a single sled trailer, also would be fairly easy to load and unload, I know a couple of guys that have them and are quite happy with them.

Mike, just a thought, why not just pick up a single sled trailer, also would be fairly easy to load and unload, I know a couple of guys that have them and are quite happy with them.

Thanks for the idea Nunz, but I would prefer to load it in the bed. I just don't have the space to store a trailer anywhere. My dad has a single trailer and I had it in my garage once, and it took up too much space. I am going to be spending around $500 on this ramp, so I just want as much input as I can possibly get. All opinions are welcomed here. Thanks.

I have a Revarc in good condition works great easy to use and no problems with studs, I used it for one season don t need it anymore , reasonable offer and its yours

The Revarc protects the plastic cap on your tailgate and I use a piece of plywood for my box with 2 door hinges for a piece to flip over on the tailgate 

Hey Mike, I bought it about 12 years ago directly from E-Z loader. They were based out of Collingwood, I think that they are still around but they have modified the ramp a bit. I think that I paid about $350 for it back then.

FYI putting a piece of plywood in the back of your bed will make it more difficult to load your sled, trust me I've tried!

I run the CT ramp in an 09 Avalanche. I have ski guides on 5/8 plywood in the bed. Front Section of that is on hinges to allow my tailgate to close when not in use. The ramp loads nicely in the summer, no chance to try winter load yet. I put the flip down guides on the bottom of the rampto protect my runners. The plywood in the bed needs work to give it some traction as well as take some weight off the tailgate.

You can also check out ramps from Team K-OS in Erin. Good stuff there and Sean will be at the show..

I bought this one years ago from Princess Auto on sale and it works great.  Its a tri-fold and 84" long (worth the extra len) so it does not have a steep incline.  Its also fairly light and come complete with the guides.

8329989.jpg

That's the type I use too. Does the trick.

That's the type I use too. Does the trick.

Where do you keep the ramp while out riding to ensure it will be there when you come back?

Archived