Thinking of going back to SKI DOO....HMMM

SuperG

After watching that video I now want to go sledding. ..... still no interest in buying a ski doo though lol

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell it like it is, Sledguy74. LOL

Just being honest Blake.

Thanks for busting that myth, no oil ran out of it. Maybe two new four strokes this winter, hummm. .

After watching that video I now want to go sledding. ..... still no interest in buying a ski doo though lol

:D

Thanks for busting that myth, no oil ran out of it. Maybe two new four strokes this winter, hummm. .

So you gave the dealer your current sled without having made a deal on a replacement first?

I'm sure the dealer won't take advantage of that situation. Really, I'm sure. No, I mean it,

Sorry, but there's nothing to love about the sound of the 900 in that video. My B&S lawn mower sounds that good!

That is a problem with both the 600 and 900 ACE motors - they are so quiet that riders are worried something is wrong with their tracks in that the motor doesn't drown out track noise which is suddenly more than apparent. BRP sells an "adaptive kit" part # 29220-99852 - consists of a stiff piece of cardboard and a clothes pin - attached to one of the track supports, it flaps on the lugs and creates a two stroke sound.

isnt that what we did with our bicycles when we were kids, stuck a card between the spokes to get that 2 stroke sound or was i the only one.. Now fast forward to present day and now Ill be doing the same thing to my sled. Man it sucks when history repeats itself.  

isnt that what we did with our bicycles when we were kids, stuck a card between the spokes to get that 2 stroke sound or was i the only one.. Now fast forward to present day and now Ill be doing the same thing to my sled. Man it sucks when history repeats itself.  

You weren't alone :lol:.  And if you doubled or tripled the cards (thicker) it was even louder!

• 2 weeks later...

Just get a 1200 and be done with it all. Welcome back to the one and only SKIDOO. irReverents new 1200 is awesome ! Polaris.... Bahahahaha ha.

LOL, Thanks and i'll think about it. Still leaning more towards the 900 though. 

The new 1200's are as good on gas as a lot of the more Eco sleds like the 900 and it even has that option so the Power is there if need be. Not sure a 900 will be enough. I know bill Cudney went to a 900 and even tuned by him he ended up back at the 1200. It's so comfy for cruising not as great for how I like to ride it. But for what you want I think it's best of both worlds.

Yes I hear where your coming from and really would like to have the power when I want it but the biggest thing for me is the difference in the weight going from a 900 to a 1200 for going off trail. Its already going to be a bit worse being a four stroke for weight but getting that much more weight going off trail is not good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments guys. I know that the 900 wont have the snap or hp of my current 800 2 stroke, but realistically im a cruiser for the most part. I really dont go much over 100 kph, as trail conditions and speed limit on them are big factors for me and the big hp really isnt much of an issue to me. I do like the quieter ride that the 900ace offers and last year i found after longer rides i was starting to get a bit of a headache from the 2 stroke smoke. I tend to value the mpg better than hp.

Thanks for your input IrRev, I did stop in the other day to northland rec on my way to work and had a peak. I have heard good things about northland especially with their service. The Cove ive heard mixed reviews about. I love the link q system, cant beat it. Along with that rear air shock. I do think i will stick with the 900 as i do a bit of off trail and the lighter the better for that.

Sorry Nunz, I think my poo days are over :(. I just find that I do miss the 4 stroke capabilities and longevity of them. Yes I think my sled was just not set up properly for me maybe and it was a good sled but ultimately is just not for me. I know when I put it up for sale or trade it in i will take a bit of a hit on it but thats the game you have to play. An god help me when WD finds out! dun dun dun....

I think that you are making a wise decision going to the Skidoo 4 stroke. However. Please believe me when I say get the 1200... I have owned a few now, my latest being a 2016 1200 MXZ X. The 1200 has unmatched lower end pull and more mid range that any of the 2 strokes. My dealer sells a pile of these 1200s and no complaints. Trust me, even you will get tired of the 900 ACE. But if you have your heart stuck on an ACE please pm me. I have several low cost mods that will have you doing 100mph all day long and will not void any warranty.

Hey Nunz... This is what we talked about bud.

Thanks for your input ATK. I must say that I am considering getting the 1200 more and more now. The only downside obviously to going with the 1200 is the added 30lbs. I just dont want to go off trail an get stuck like i did with my old apex. 

Thanks for your input ATK. I must say that I am considering getting the 1200 more and more now. The only downside obviously to going with the 1200 is the added 30lbs. I just dont want to go off trail an get stuck like i did with my old apex. 

Then if that's the case, have your dealership install the skis from the Expedition, put a bit more aggressive carbide on them and you'll have the best of both worlds.  They're wider, with a deeper keel, so better support and steering in off trail conditions and fresh powder on trail.  Personally I wouldn't keep skinny skis with the weight of the 1200 even on a trail sled.  Amendola2001 has a short-track 1200 with some light mods, and even with the short ride I had with it I found it cumbersome with all the extra weight, and a higher center of gravity than my S-chassis. We all want the power of the 1200 but not the weight penalty.  I also found it has a shortage of track and traction, in the trail chassis.  Studs are almost mandatory, unless you swap out the track for something in the range of 1 3/4" with an aggressive lug pattern (probably the best performance upgrade you could put on a 1200 anyway).

I highly recommend the 137" skidframe no matter how much more it costs, as it'll work better off trail, and give better manners on-trail.  An added benefit is the ability to put 2 LinQ accessories instead of just 1 on the short-track, if that's of any interest to you (mind you this year there's an optional stackable fuel tank that accepts a LinQ bag on top, which wasn't available last year).

Rocker Dan would be a good guy to talk top. He told me, he replaced exhaust with a lighter after market one, he said it shaved off 10 Ibs. I think he put wider ski's on and a few extra goodies to lighten weight. He had it down to about 15 ins more then an etec 800. He was very happy with it. It is possible to shave weight if you throw more money at it.

Yes I hear where your coming from and really would like to have the power when I want it but the biggest thing for me is the difference in the weight going from a 900 to a 1200 for going off trail. Its already going to be a bit worse being a four stroke for weight but getting that much more weight going off trail is not good. 

It looks like the 1200 is only 25lb more than the 900ACE.

http://www.ski-doo.com/ca/ski-doo/renegade/renegade-enduro.html

post-22643-0-61560400-1472579338_thumb.png

Saving weight on the 1200 is all good but the extra weight is at the front . So take your 800 etec and put 30 pounds of weight on the front bumper. Now see how it handles.

Dont get me wrong the 1200 is a great cruiser, great touring machine, decent on fuel, reliable. If your trying to save weight buy a 600 etec. Same power, feathery light, last 15000 km no issues.

Oh and fuel consumption is not even close.

Correct, and the ACE is about 20lbs heavier than the e-tec also.  So that 1200 is some 45-ish pounds more piggy than an e-tec.  Like mentioned above, like hanging a pail of hydraulic fluid from the bumper .... lol !

If I was really hell-bent on buying a 1200, I'd go with the Expedition WT chassis all the way .... it's the only chassis that does the engine justice ... akin to driving a 3/4 ton diesel standard with a load of wood on ... it just doesn't give a sh!t how much weight or body it has to haul, it'll haul it anyway without knowing it's got a load on ... lol !

Try this on for perspective.  The Expedition LE 1200 will powerslide a 20x156" track for as long as you can hold the throttle pegged.  Nuff said.

Yes I know the 800 etec is a lighter engine but its still a 2 stroke the same with the 600. im wanting to go back to a 4 stroke so for me its only a toss up between the 900 ace and the 1200 right now. 

I've got a 1200 Skidoo TnT and it has almost 22000kms on it. I have done some suspension bushings,rebuilt the shocks,changed the track and wheel bearings. It has been a relativity low cost sled to own .The only item that was a concern on mine is the stock tra clutch. The 1200 is hard on primary clutch parts.I fixed that by putting a Powerblock 80 clutch on. Yes that cost 500 bucks but believe me i spent enough money on the stock tra to buy two pb 80's. Skidoo has tried to address this problem.The new 1200's have a different style of clutch on it with a different style of buttons.  I have not heard too much about how they are standing up once they have some miles on them.  Hope this helps.       

IMO, the 900 ace is a good option if your looking for a all around cruiser, with great economics. If you want some power, and more top end, then go with the 1200. Both sleds will give you years of trouble free riding. I currently have a 2015 skidoo-renegade 1200, and have no complaints at all. I have ridden with guys with the 900ace, and was pleasantly surprised at how well that sled works. Best of luck with your decision.. We are currently awaiting the arrival of a 2017 Ski-doo 1200 in some form or another. Will post pics once it's picked up..HEHE!.... 8-)

Thanks snowchopper and IQ turbo! 

IQ- How well does your sled handle off trail? What kind of track and lug length do you have? 

Archived