OVR/CPR Rail Trail

revrnd

VR700 - The OVR trail does not go to the city of Ottawa, just skirts the edge of what is now city of Ottawa some 40kms away. But yes the city has certainly created more bicycle lanes.

Blake -  That story is from a local paper and I get that people are wanting non-motorized use instead of mixed. The old argument of noise all night, safety for the kids, the environmental impact and on and on and on. The fighting and bickering from both sides of the argument may keep this "trail" from opening for a while, and by then it will be a grown over ( getting narrow along the stretch behind my place as it is) and then who will get the job of cleaning it up??  That's when I see them allowing mixed use - have the good old volunteer snowmobile club clean it up every fall so the others can use it the rest of the year with little to no investment.

Honestly not looking forward to either group using it, would rather have the trains back. Miss having my back yard privacy.

• Like 2

The "do-gooders" will want it paved, so it can be plowed in the wintertime to allow walking.  B)

10-4 on the snowmobile club doing the clean up for free. People (on-users) will freak if they hear of municipal money being spent on it so hooligans can rip up and down it.

• 2 years later...

On 4/29/2016 at 8:29 AM, revrnd said:

Great news up in Dist' 6:

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2016/04/28/renfrew-county-signs-historic-rail-trail-deal

I wonder how this will affect the current route of TOP A?

wheres the article, can not seem to find it with the link?

3 hours ago, Diceman said:

wheres the article, can not seem to find it with the link?

Thats wierd? I see that too.

I checked the website & the article seems to have disappeared.

We need to get Doug on a sled. 

I bet he'd fit right in with some of the live-wire characters I've met recently.

(Names omitted to protect the innocent)

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Big investment.

Assuming this is good news!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Big investment.

Assuming this is good news!

From what I've read it is. Guys have posted that riding on the ballast on stretches west of Pembroke was hard on tires. I know it likely would be difficult to bike on it unless you were on a fat bike. I MTBed from near Dranoel (south of Bethany) up to Lindsay several years ago. They had spread crushed stone along 1 stretch & it was like trying to ride thru the ball pit @ McScrawny's.

• Like 1