Abnormal track wear

signfan

If there was any doubt at all I would err on the side of caution and replace it. Far better than having the track come apart in the middle of nowhere, possibly rupture the heat exchanger and damage other parts of the sled. Especially if it happened while riding alone.

If you are planning on keeping the sled for more than 2 seasons I would change it out. Judging by the look of rust on the studs and condition of the bent and broken studs the track is definitely had some miles on it.

The damage that can occur if it lets go outweighs the $800 for a new track. IMO.

MS

I ran my sled 15000 kms after the track looked like that. Changed it out at 30000kms and sold it to a guy still using it, the new track I put on has 20000 kms on it and looked like that after about

ten. One inch hacksaw same as the one

pictured.

Most of it is cosmetic and normal wear and tear. Doesn't mean track is going to blow apart, either.

Some of it is serious structural failure

The longitudinal lines are not as serious a concern The latitudinal ones are a big failure.

Some of it is serious structural failure

I guess I got real lucky in the past! Sounds like a track and new bearings might be a good idea!

Looks like it was run too tight and over stressed for most its life, I wouldn't gamble with it. Replace and leave the new one looser then that one was, if it ratchets snug it just a little till it stops ratcheting. 

What is the condition on the inside of the track? I've seen used tracks where the inner surface looks like  it's "delaminating".

Archived