Abnormal track wear

signfan

Have a look at the pics. Anybody seen one wear like this before? I've had studs pull, but never grooved lines of this type. Did I get a defective track? Looking for a good buy on a replacement if anyone knows of any.

post-23277-0-23445200-1458505118_thumb.jpeg

post-23277-0-81523500-1458505149_thumb.jpeg

That is normal as the track wears. You are just seeing the cords of the track, become more visible. As long as it isn't splitting or opening up, the track is still good.

Have a spare heat exchange on hand. B)

If that track blows on kevlar lake, he will need more then a heat exchanger. I don't see anything ab normal with that track. All tracks look like this after the miles pile on.

timebomb

Hard to tell whether the rods are broken.  Would help to see the inside of the track.  The lengthwise tears almost appear to line up with the inner 2 rear wheels.  Any rubber left on them?  Or maybe something sharp on the drive axle drivers?

Looks like the track has been run real tight. When you change sliders need to readjust the track tension. Also back it off during the summer. Just a thought. 

I have seen lines like that on my tracks without issue.  As long as you are not getting any pull-throughs, or broken rods you should be OK, from my experience.  How many seasons and / or Km on the track?

I was concerned the first time that I saw lines like that, but they didn't prove to be an issue for me.  YRMV.

Good luck.

Exposed cords crossways are somewhat typical with age/miles but the lengthwise cuts would be worrisome.

What you didn't mention was how old/how many km of use it has?

Time for a replacement for sure. Maybe look on Kijiji for a new "take off" track. Or you could look into tracks made by Composit. They seem to have competitive prices vs Camso. http://canada.composit-usa.com/

07 phaser. 10,000 km on it. I think it's a camoplast rip-saw track. My rev has 20,000 km on it and the track is in much better condition. Can't figure out why this broke down this way and so quick. I agree ticking time bomb.

07 phaser. 10,000 km on it. I think it's a camoplast rip-saw track. My rev has 20,000 km on it and the track is in much better condition. Can't figure out why this broke down this way and so quick. I agree ticking time bomb.

Likely overheat at the sliders causing bars to breakdown

07 phaser. 10,000 km on it. I think it's a camoplast rip-saw track. My rev has 20,000 km on it and the track is in much better condition. Can't figure out why this broke down this way

and so quick. I agree ticking time bomb.

You worry to much. That track is good for a few seasons yet. Just check it once in awhile. My viper track looked exactly like that and lasted for another 8,000 kms before I sold the sled. New owner rode it another 5,000 kms no issues and hard too.

You worry to much. That track is good for a few seasons yet. Just check it once in awhile. My viper track looked exactly like that and lasted for another 8,000 kms before I sold the sled. New owner rode it another 5,000 kms no issues and hard too.

Take a better ook it is worn through from the inside 

Take a better ook it is worn through from the inside

I can't see the inside edge very well. Slider's getting hot and transfering heat to the bars, makes perfect sense. My viper track did the same thing, but the inside was fine. Seems odd getting hot with studs though. They should chip up enough lube, to keep slides cool. When in doubt replace track, drive bearings and insect sprokets. Good summer project!

I cant believe guys are telling you to ride with the track like that....really.....

It would be silly to push your luck!

It would be silly to push your luck!

Yeah. No track = no brakes. Very dangerous.

I ran my sled 15000 kms after the track looked like that. Changed it out at 30000kms and sold it to a guy still using it, the new track I put on has 20000 kms on it and looked like that after about ten. One inch hacksaw same as the one pictured.

Looks like the same track i have on my 02 viper. Will have to go have a look at it.

Yeah. No track = no brakes. Very dangerous.

A co-worker had that happen on Scubog years ago. Scared the crap out of him.

Archived