Bill 100 and the O.L.A. may have closed our trails for good!!!

old sledhead

This is an excerpt from the NDP MPP Paul Miller from Hamilton presentation. 

MPP Paul Miller:

“Some of the commentary has been well-informed. Others, unfortunately, have been influenced by the incredibly misleading statements and commentary put out by the Ontario Landowners Association. I really want to commend the member from Lanark–Frontenac–Lennox and Addington for speaking loudly and forcefully against this misinformation, because we know of his roots in this organization. The member said:

“Bill 100 does not grant any new authorities over private land, nor does it infringe or impair private property rights. It is indeed unfortunate that the OLA”—a landowners’ group—“does not have people who are knowledgeable providing advice to them.

“They’re suggesting that easements can be imposed on private landowners, and nothing could be further from the truth. It’s not based on fact.”

I couldn’t agree more with the member from Lanark–Frontenac–Lennox and Addington. This misinformation has had some very detrimental effects already on people in northern and rural Ontario. We’ve had enough trouble with trust in government—much of it is caused by the numerous scandals surrounding the Liberal government—without people spreading patently wrong information and casting aspersions on constructive and well-intentioned legislation. We may as well close up shop and sell off the furniture here if people start believing that nothing can be done in this government or this building.”

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to read that people are calling the OLA out on their "misinformation campaign".

This is an excerpt from the NDP MPP Paul Miller from Hamilton presentation. 

MPP Paul Miller:

The member said:

We may as well close up shop and sell off the furniture here if people start believing that nothing can be done in this government or this building.”

Yikes....stop giving them ideas. After they've finished selling off Hydro and the LCBO, the Liberals just might consider this....

.....there has been nothing in the media about bill 100 - overshadowed by the wave of suicide attempts I guess.

Yikes....stop giving them ideas. After they've finished selling off Hydro and the LCBO, the Liberals just might consider this....

.....there has been nothing in the media about bill 100 - overshadowed by the wave of suicide attempts I guess.

and Uber/taxi regs in T.O.

I see another good Letter to the Editor Manitoulin Expositor (Soupy) Need to keep this awareness up. Write your MPP, push for clarity, its a good bill badly worded on one specific line. Push for public consultations (dog and pony shows) (STG??)

The government has sent Bill 100 to committee, thats a good thing. Presentations are in early May in Toronto. Time to rattle your MPP's chain to voice support or concerns.

Our man in Parry Sound - Muskoka, Norm Miller of Bracebridge (Progressive Conservative), seems to be up to speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Parry Sound-Muskoka MPP Norm Miller May 10, 2016 letter to the editor (see below).

To the Editor,

With the passage of Bill 100 through second reading, there has been renewed interest at my office regarding the Supporting Ontario’s Trails Act. I would like to take this opportunity to provide some insight as to where Bill 100 stands in the legislative process, as well as potential implications as it moves forward.

As of April 14th, 2016, Bill 100 has passed 2nd reading and is currently before the Standing Committee on the Legislative Assembly.

First off, I would like to say that we are fortunate to have some of the best trails in the Province of Ontario. Every year, thousands of outdoor enthusiasts travel to Parry Sound – Muskoka to hike, bike, ski, ride, and snowmobile. For decades, this network of trails has been maintained and grown through relationships between trails organizations and private landowners. I would like to thank the private landowners that allow trail use across their property.

These personal and often informal agreements to allow for trail access across private property are part of the local success story. These agreements will not be affected by the passage of Bill 100.

Even though the snowmobile trail season has ended for this winter, there is already concern that misinformation about the easement section (12) of Bill 100 could lead to trail closures next year.

I have spoken personally with Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Sport, Michael Coteau on this and he has provided in writing that: “An easement pursuant to Bill 100, if passed, would be a voluntary agreement between a landowner and an eligible body or bodies. No property owner would be compelled to provide an easement unless they agreed to do so”. During my allotted time to speak to Bill 100 at second reading I specifically asked that this statement be put into the Bill as landowners have requested.

To be clear, this is all voluntary. No property owner will be compelled to provide an easement unless they agree to. Also, Landowner rights are strengthened in Bill 100 with the following changes:

Maximum fines for trespassing are increased from $2000 to $10,000, and the current $1000 cap on damages caused by trespassing is eliminated thus allowing for greater fines when warranted. There is also a reduction and clarification of liability for the property owner.

If there are any questions regarding the progress of Bill 100 or if you have any individual concerns to add, please do not hesitate to contact my office. The full text of my remarks during 2nd reading debate of this bill can be found at www.normmillermpp.ca.

Sincerely,

Norm Miller, MPP Parry Sound – Muskoka

So reading that, more so the part about trespassing fines. Does that mean a permitless freeloader could now face a fine of up to $10,000? Slap a few of those down it might wake up those who ride with out paying.

So reading that, more so the part about trespassing fines. Does that mean a permitless freeloader could now face a fine of up to $10,000? Slap a few of those down it might

wake up those who ride with out paying.

Higher fines would help, but who is around to enforce it? Ontario federation of agriculture tried to increase trespassing fines and government shot down the proposal. They wanted a min fine of 1000 and a Max of 20,000 I believe. Now it still stands at 200 I believe and Max of 1000.

Higher fines would help, but who is around to enforce it? Ontario federation of agriculture tried to increase trespassing fines and government shot down the proposal. They wanted a min fine of 1000 and a Max of 20,000 I believe. Now it still stands at 200 I believe and Max of 1000.

Should the law pass and allow fines increased to $10,000; the authorized would build a budget for enforcement, IMHO. Furthermore, a public awareness campaign announcing the increased penalties may be a strong enough deterrent. 

Should the law pass and allow fines increased to $10,000; the authorized would build a budget for enforcement, IMHO. Furthermore, a public awareness campaign announcing the increased

penalties may be a strong enough deterrent.

Only problem is very few land owners will sign this bill! Does that mean increased fines are only valid on properties that owners have signed the bill?

Landowners and other interested parties can have input until the Bill becomes law. If the Bill is passed by the Legislature and receives Royal Assent, it will become law for all.

Only problem is very few land owners will sign this bill! Does that mean increased fines are only valid on properties that owners have signed the bill?

The landowners don't sign the bill. They don't have to do anything.

if fines hit $ 10000,police better get pursuit sleds & have a chopper in the air.bandits will run,specially when you add a no insurance fine,no val sticker...etc...etc

hello everyone,hope all is well & happy may 24

if fines hit $ 10000,police better get pursuit sleds & have a chopper in the air.bandits will run,specially when you add a no insurance fine,no val sticker...etc...etc

hello everyone,hope all is well & happy may 24

The fine for evading the police is much larger 

Good that the maximum fine is going up, but when was the last time you heard ANYBODY getting the maximum fine or any fine over the minimum for that matter.

They would have been much better off to raise the minimum up over $500.

All bill 100 is going to do is push the fence sitting land owners over the fence and close trails.

Get used to it boys !!!!!

Good that the maximum fine is going up, but when was the last time you heard ANYBODY getting the maximum fine or any fine over the minimum for that matter.

They would have been much better off to raise the minimum up over $500.

All bill 100 is going to do is push the fence sitting land owners over the fence and close trails.

Get used to it boys !!!!!

Ya I agree. I've chatted a bit about this with a couple landowner/friends of mine and they say the same thing,"awe maybe just be best we don't allow trail thru then,don't want any bs". I'm working on them tho and keeping hem up to speed on how things are going. I think in the long run we should be good tho......I hope lol

How much was their bill for?

as the punchline goes....."but I thought this is private property?" A little moron and big moron are sitting on a fence, who will fall off first? Of course, the little moron because he is a little More On. Fitting for this individual.   

as the punchline goes....."but I thought this is private property?" A little moron and big moron are sitting on a fence, who will fall off first? Of course, the little moron because he is a little More On. Fitting for this individual.   

Good one OF7..

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a report from our District Gov regarding Bill 100 and the standing committee recommendations. Looks the committee is recommending amendments to the definitions of Eligible Bodies, clarifying the voluntary nature of an easement, as well the covenants that are required in any such easement. It also deals with the contentious issue of assignability of an easement.

Hopefully there is enough there to put our landowners at ease so we can put this issue behind us. The amendments still need to be debated in the house and passed before the bill goes to third reading and royal assent.

Amended bill attached.

b100rep.pdf

Thanks for the info BP.  Fingers crossed this works out!

Bill got passed today. Not looking too bad.Wording changes. Read the bill!

Archived