C101D

Grimmer

It's been a while since we could do the big loop again.  Thanks to all the hard working volunteers for getting the C101D trail open this season.  We are planning what might be our last ride of the season and I have a few questions.  Here is our itinerary.......

Day 1 (Friday March 11) - KL - Hearst

Day 2 - Hearst - Chapleau

Day 3 Chapleau - Timmins

Day 4 Timmins - KL

My questions are around Day 3......any idea what the conditions of the C101D trail will be like this weekend? Any plans to keep grooming through the warmup? Any other comments on our loop (spots to look out for etc.) would be great.   

PS.  I am also hoping that we can run the Magpie to cut some time off.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks everyone. 

Simmer, I don't know what day your are starting, but I will be right behind you.  I have a group of 5 of us from Wisconsin starting Saturday and have the same weather concerns.  hopefully the trails hang on long enough for our loop.  We are planning:

> Saturday 12th, Wawa to Timmins via C101D

> Sunday 13th, Timmins to Canyon and then Hearst

> Monday 14th, Hearst to Wawa

If conditions are good we may add a day between Timmins and Hearst ( run down to shining tree and over to Kirkland, etc ) as we have off till Tuesday or Wed.

I see the trail from Soo to Halfway went yellow this AM, so I'm getting nervous.

Leaving KL to Hearst Friday AM.  Friday night in Hearst !! :o

Back to truck in KL on Monday aft.  Should be a good ride.  I'm not worried about temps.  It's below 0 every night so hopefully grooming will continue through the weekend.  I think it might be a beautiful spring ride on Sat/Sun. 

Ride safe bro!

Back to truck in KL on Monday aft.  Should be a good ride.  I'm not worried about temps.  It's below 0 every night so hopefully grooming will continue through the weekend.  I think it might be a beautiful spring ride on Sat/Sun. 

Ride safe bro!

I suggest you watch the weather closely. As of about 40 minutes ago they just issued a weather warning for Hearst

Periods of freezing rain or freezing drizzle will continue until this afternoon. A changeover to rain is anticipated late this afternoon as temperatures rise above the freezing mark. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. Take extra care when walking or driving in affected areas. Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to storm.ontario@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

All through the next 7 days day time highs are hovering around the freezing mark but Fri & Sat are +8C and +9C. With the longer days and sun high in the sky snow will be disappearing fast.

simmer.... Not sure where you are starting from in hearst, and ending in chapleau on day two BUT... you do know how far it is to chapleau, from hearst on the EXISITING TRAIL SYSTEM, CORRECT???

the F trail from missanabi to chapleau IS NOT OPEN, AND HASNT BEEN FOR 2 YEARS.

with the trails that are open now, hearst to hornepayne is roughly 110 MILES, hornepayne to dubreuilville is 90 MILES, Dub to wawa is 60 MILES, Wawa to halfway haven is 80 MILES, halfway haven to chapleau is 60 MILES. if my math is correct... THAT IS A 400 MILE DAY! THAT IS A BIG DAY, WE ALL WISH YOU LUCK, WITH THE COMING WEATHER, TOWNS, AND PLOWED, MAINTAINED ROADS, ARE GOING TO SUCK. 

The magpie really wont cut, that much time or mileage from the planned day. some of your day two is REALLY FAST, and some is REALLY SLOW. it will be difficult and a LOOOONG DAY, NO MATTER WHAT. without over night lows below well zero, it will hurt the trails more, if the clubs try to groom. don't expect perfect table top, with all the warm and rain forecasted. Ski

Lol....yup.  We've been riding these trails for 25+ years.  If I wasn't partying in Hearst the night before, I would say no problem.  With a Hearst hangover.....it's gonna be tough.  Wawa might be it for us.  We will have to wait and see how it goes.  

Ride safe bro!

Will be no grooming happening until temps drop below minus 6C and some new snow arrives. Ice scratchers will be a must to ride early morning, late evening. Have a good ride!

Part of the trail is closed now and I'm sure more closures are imminent.

the first part of the trail from chapleau to flyet crosses a lot of canadian shield

it was 90 percent 2 weeks ago

with the warm weather i am sure there will be more granite sticking thru

there are quite a few places where you have to run down the side of highway 101 and it was scratchy to say the least

be careful of traffic

Part of the trail is closed now and I'm sure more closures are imminent.

Plus 9 by the weekend. Cochrane groomed yesterday and are today. The snow looks thin in town already with bare roads and parking lots.

With some traffic and plus 9 by the weekend,

going to do some major damage. Might be it for

the season.

Are you in Cochrane? Didn't see anything you are talking about.

Plus 9 by the weekend. Cochrane groomed yesterday and are today. The snow looks thin in town already with bare roads and parking lots.

With some traffic and plus 9 by the weekend,

going to do some major damage. Might be it for

the season.

Archived