Staging Temiskaming/Kirkland Lake

nate27

heading up to cochrane this friday and trying to find a place to leave truck and trailer for the weekend somewhere within a days ride to cochrane, I'm thinking some where between temiskaming and kirkland lake. on the trail map it shows roughly 300km from temiskaming to cochrane, defiantly would be a long day... any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

thanks 

heading up to cochrane this friday and trying to find a place to leave truck and trailer for the weekend somewhere within a days ride to cochrane, I'm thinking some where between temiskaming and kirkland lake. on the trail map it shows roughly 300km from temiskaming to cochrane, defiantly would be a long day... any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

thanks

By Temiskaming I assume you mean the New Liskeard area. Are you driving then riding the same day? If so, what time are you starting to ride? It is a pretty good days ride 7-8 hours through Elk Lake with fuel & lunch stops if the trails are smooth to get from from New Liskeard to Cochrane. You could see if the Quality Inn at the north end of New Liskeard would let you park in the area behind the Motel. You may have to pay them to park there if they would let you. There is also a parking lot down by the Lake in New Liskeard between the Waterfront Inn and the Marina.

By Temiskaming I assume you mean the New Liskeard area. Are you driving then riding the same day? If so, what time are you starting to ride? It is a pretty good days ride 7-8 hours through Elk Lake with fuel & lunch stops if the trails are smooth to get from from New Liskeard to Cochrane. You could see if the Quality Inn at the north end of New Liskeard would let you park in the area behind the Motel. You may have to pay them to park there if they would let you. There is also a parking lot down by the Lake in New Liskeard between the Waterfront Inn and the Marina.

yes thats what i meant, we are leaving the cottage in port loring around 6 in the morning, should take around 2 and a half hours to drive up and then riding up from then. would be an all day ride for sure. but sounds like it could be done. thanks for the info 

another question , it is my understanding there is gas on the abitibi canyon loop at base camp? anyone know of hours or if you need to call ahead ?

Hope for your sake the trail between Englehart and Iroquois Falls are in good shape, cause you won't be by the time you get to Cochrane if they aren't .... long day for sure.

another question , it is my understanding there is gas on the abitibi canyon loop at base camp? anyone know of hours or if you need to call ahead ?

We have never called ahead but were usually there mid day and fuel was available those times. You can call Extreme Tours to check hours at (705) 272-6370 They run the base camp.

Changed the plan a bit, anyone know where to park in Kirkland lake ?

Check with the new Microtel as they have a large parking area.  Next would be Comfort Inn across the highway.  Trail L108 goes right to the parking lots.

Super 8 also has lots of parking space and trail access a block north on L105.  If they are smart, they'll let you park for free to attract you to stay next time.

PM me if you don't get any co-operation from the hotels.

Check with the new Microtel as they have a large parking area. Next would be Comfort Inn across the highway. Trail L108 goes right to the parking lots.

Super 8 also has lots of parking space and trail access a block north on L105. If they are smart, they'll let you park for free to attract you to stay next time.

PM me if you don't get any co-operation from the hotels.

Parked at super 8, no problems at all. Thanks

Archived