LAKE OF BAYS - STAY OFF

mxzexpress

was out there today along with pressure cracks about a foot high there were 2 spots at least that were wide open between dwight and dorset..i dont mean slushy i mean WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and where you get on the lake from dorset garage looked reallly iffy!!!! just a heads up for everyone

Can you be more specific?  Are you referring the run from Dorset to 10 Mile Bay?  Where exactly is it wide open? 

Mxzexpress. Thank you for posting this information.

i met a couple guys yesterday at the shelter in dorset that said they ran it the day before and said it was ok,it wasn't staked,but I'm not recommending anything after lake of bays

I hear you, thanks.

Looks like some more snow coming next week.

I hear you, thanks.

Looks like some more snow coming next week.

Winter wasn't cancelled.... just arriving late.

Can confirm OP's comments on the open ice directly west of Dorset. This morning while waiting for our meet up, I went down to the shell station to have a look, and indeed there is plenty of open water, much larger than last weekend. The OPP and paramedics were at the marina doing some rescue exercises, and there was quite a bit of open water beyond the docks. I would warn all to not access the lake from the shell station.

Today I saw some nice blue water in Torrance Bay of Lake Muskoka.

Great ride today, awesome work by the clubs getting trails in decent shape

Glad you had a good ride. Met infernobuster and we went from Kinmount to Whitney, had lunch and rode back. Total of 230 km's. Trails were very good on way up but a little bumpy on way back. Good day.

Today I saw some nice blue water in Torrance Bay of Lake Muskoka.

we are working in torrance ,with a couple warmer days this weekend there will be lots of blue by Mon

Maybe people are a little nervous, rightly or wrongly?

Maybe people are a little nervous, rightly or wrongly?

1/2 the ice per normal in many cases. Less than 1/2 to zero in others. Water is flowing fast in areas that are usually tight right now.

There is a reason some clubs haven't staked lakes that have been staked forever.

Good advice by the op. I won't be riding lob either or cruising around as I normally would just about every laKe in the area. Just Feels like mid January.

Was in Dorset Thursday - Friday - Saturday.  Can confirm open water from the channel goes out pretty far.  Watched probably 15 sleds come in from the lake past the shell when we were gassing up, and then when we went across the bridge to head up the lookout, probably another 10 coming in which looked pretty sketchy to me with the foreground open water. Both my buddy and I wouldn't touch LoB this year for sure.  Clearly people were 'making it' fine but better safe than sorry IMHO.

For reference other lakes we did run that were all staked (remember conditions can change quickly!):

Raven lake was solid (home base - so did this bunch) and staked to lions camp too BTW.

Saturday we also ran (first time for me so I don't know what is 'normal'):

the 11 - sherborne, big hawk, clear, red pine lake which were solid

Kennisis has a pressure crack in the middle of the lake

lttle redstone fine but watch the entrance/exit as open water in channel into paddy's bay, and channel to big redstone (watched a couple puddle jump a section of it as I was coming in)

Pressure crack on big redstone about 50ft off the shore right as leaving little redstone that around noon was ice, and on our return around 8pm was full of water.

Guilford was fine.

anyway be safe if you choose to go on the ice and happy sledding!

Archived