Accident/Situation just N of Searchmont?

Ox

This from Facebook:

12376131_10153092933056148_4751187486013

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our brothers who lost their lives in the snowmobile accident north of Searchmont. We are all deeply saddened by this tragedy and ask the entire Halfway Haven Family to keep them lifted up in your thoughts and prayers too.

very sad.

http://www.saultstar.com/2016/02/22/names-release-in-fatal-snowmobile-collision

76 klicks actual trail would put it on either Point Lake Rd or Ranger North.

Shirley this didn't happen on Ranger North... but possibly Point. 

Unless it is as a raven flies .. which would make more sense and put it on the hydro line.

???

EDIT:

I guess I didn't read it very closely the first time. :o  It says that it was on Ranger North.

I don't know how you could collide on that stretch. ???

Single or just a bit more wide groomed crest of a blind hill head on.......... This trail is not always straight either.

Years ago, Going real fast, I crested a blind hill on the D108 heading up to Hornepayne from Dub and it was groomed real wide and flat there. I had a guy fly past me in the other direction over the hill TO MY RIGHT!!!

God saved me that day and I will never forget my fear that he would now hit one of my kids who were following me. We were all going fast and had spread out because of the snow dust so all made it OK.

I guess you never know what is coming and I will never understand why anyone would ever be all the way on his left side of a double wide pretty straight double groomed road trail with a blind hill crest? Just glad I was running the middle of the right side groomed half rather than all the way right. Some parts of that road even had a raised center divider.

I have felt terrible for all involved since hearing about the crash last Saturday.

Crest of a blind hill and very narrow, i was through there that day, one group ahead of the unfortunate group,  and back through the next day. 64.3 km south of halfway haven by my odometer.

So your saying that the groomed path was just 1 full groomer sled wide? No overlap? No 2 lane?

I don't think that there is any place on Ranger North that two trucks can't pass on it. It can't be that the road is narrow.

???

Crest of a blind hill and very narrow, i was through there that day, one group ahead of the unfortunate group,  and back through the next day. 64.3 km south of halfway haven by my odometer.

The groomer is 9 feet wide making the minimum width 9 feet . If the trail narrows slow down and stick to your side 

Single or just a bit more wide groomed crest of a blind hill head on.......... This trail is not always straight either.

Years ago, Going real fast, I crested a blind hill on the D108 heading up to Hornepayne from Dub and it was groomed real wide and flat there. I had a guy fly past me in the other direction over the hill TO MY RIGHT!!!

God saved me that day and I will never forget my fear that he would now hit one of my kids who were following me. We were all going fast and had spread out because of the snow dust so all made it OK.

I guess you never know what is coming and I will never understand why anyone would ever be all the way on his left side of a double wide pretty straight double groomed road trail with a blind hill crest? Just glad I was running the middle of the right side groomed half rather than all the way right. Some parts of that road even had a raised center divider.

I have felt terrible for all involved since hearing about the crash last Saturday.

Yeah - I remember Luc grooming a N and a S bound lanes through there - on his side of the Kabi.

I have not been on a groomed trail for more than 3 klicks(?) in the last 6 years prolly. Now your scaring me into staying off of them?

I've seen a whole crew come flying over a drop-off on the hydro-line - between Halfway and the first warm-up shack (Bauparlante Rd crossing) and most every one of them catching air, and all mostly in the middle of the trail. We had just dug a guy out of the snowbank* near the bottom of this slight drop-off when we heard them coming on with full coal. We scooted the sled about 1/2 way back off the trail and all stood off the side and watched them come through. As they came over the hill and seen us there, about 1/2 of them grabbed brake while in the air - which only produces a pile up in the landing zone. 

We had been playing off-trail while the kids were "following" along on the trail. Actually I think it may have been their first trip up too. So if the timing were different - the kids could have met them on the hill, and it was not wide enough for the other group to have gone through down the middle and not taken out anyone that would have been on their own side.

Only one of them went out in the bushes. We went over and helped him out of the bush and back on the trail and didn't say a thing. We were not happy campers, but it's not like we are always angels either. I've drifted over center before too at times. I just never drew the short straw - yet. Then we went to find our kids that were s'posed to be holed up at the warm-up shack.

* I think that you'll find that a FIII 700  in stock trim doesn't doo well off trail at all.  ;)

I'm all over the trail when riding...but only when I can SEE far enough ahead to avoid any problem

In plenty of time. All else...STAY TO THE RIGHT. If someone coming at me would have flown by to my right.... I think I would chase them down and break a nose or jaw.

Archived