Friday day ride out of mactier!!!

Baylaker

I'm booking this Friday off work and doing a day run from mactier up through parry sound east to dunchurch, south to the seguin and through Orville and back to mactier. Should be around 250km day.

I'm hoping a buddy comes with me so I can put my sled in his enclosed trailer. But if not oh well, anybody is welcome to join. Starting at 8am. Let me know if your able to join! Hoping to see some of you out there after this big storm wed/thurs!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm booking this Friday off work and doing a day run from mactier up through parry sound east to dunchurch, south to the seguin and through Orville and back to mactier. Should be around 250km day.

I'm hoping a buddy comes with me so I can put my sled in his enclosed trailer. But if not oh well, anybody is welcome to join. Starting at 8am. Let me know if your able to join! Hoping to see some of you out there after this big storm wed/thurs!

Hopefully we do get that big storm. Otherwise the MacTier portion north to Parry Sound may be a bit thin and icy in spots. We were on the Sequin C103D and C101 toward Dunchurch. yesterday. The Friday night rain killed an awful lot of snow real quick. It seems there is more snow in MacTier and the area east of Parry Sound than there is in between the two. If you run any road it will be road rash for sure. C101 until it crosses road 518 is bare road and nothing for cooling or lube of the sliders. Just before you get to the intersection of C103D and C101 there is a very large washout at the bottom of the hill. This is where the trail is running parallel to the road. It isn't very deep but it is big. Everyone is doing a quick jog out onto the road and then back on the trail. There was lots of places, particularly hill crests where rock is starting to show through and snirt starting to show up. We took a look at some of the trails south of Horseshoe Lake (C trail) and it didn't look pretty. Lots of slush and bare spots. The further east you went from the 400 the better it got. You may want to take a hard look at whether you want to start in MacTier or perhaps a bit further north. I'm thinking I may trailer to Kearney and set out from there for a day. When planning your route look out for lake crossings as well.

Did a short loop in mactier sat afternoon. 9-c102-10-C-14-8. Of those trails the only ones with any descent amount of snow left was 14 and 8. The other trails were finished in my opinion, slush puddles, rocks, mud and water with the odd stretch of snow. We cancelled our plans to take the ladies out sunday since the conditions were to poor.

Crap! You guys are supposed to say it's good! Lol. Appreciate the heads up guys. I guess if we get that storm, I'll go to mactier. If not, I'll probably drive up to Kearney and meet up with you 02sled.

You give the time and place and I'd be there...

Just looking at the options and hoping things get better snow wise and looking for a route that doesn't include lake running. Google maps show that from Port Severn to Sprucedale is 1 hr 20 min up the 400 and across road 518 and 1 hr 40 min to Kearney after I drive the 1 hr 30 min to Port Severn from home to pick up the trailer and sleds. Damn I hate not having snow without having to trailer.

I look at the local options and C101 will get me to Dunchurch and Ahmic Harbour which then have you on C104D then on ice. If you go off C101 and west on 803 or 804 you also end up on ice. 801 heading west off C101 take you on ice so some sort of a loop using C101 isn't a good option. West of Sprucedale or Kearney seem to be the best options for possibly avoiding chains of lake running and good snow.

So far I am considering starting out in Sprucedale and heading west

post-21351-0-03998100-1456158708_thumb.jpg

Round trip seems to avoid ice. The ITG doesn't show ice crossings as well as the paper maps do with their dotted lines. D123 shows 0.6 km as limited while the rest of the D123 is available. It doesn't seem to come near any water and seems to be a straight line through the tree cover when you zoom in.

Total would be about 130 km which I have been told will be a good day based on the current trail conditions with twists and low snow.

Now I need to convince the others I ride with to invest the extra 1.5 hr drive to get to Sprucedale after the drive to Port Severn. One of them comes from Woodstock then the 1.5 hr drive back to Port Severn at the end of the day.

Sure glad that my 75% refund cheque for my trail permit is in the mail. It should be here any time now.

Anyway to make it a 200km day?

see my recent post # 2 in another thread, for today's report re Kearney and the Seguin Trail:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16058-snowmobiling-kearney-north-this-week/#entry213843

Anyway to make it a 200km day?

Not sure. I have been trying to get a sense from some others as to what realistic speed you can do on those trails with the current conditions. Also not real familiar with how much is the slow twisty turns and how much is good flat straight ahead. The conditions I saw on the Seguin and C101 meant having to slow down considerably from the usual. a few washouts that suddenly appeared. soft spots that came out of nowhere that would suck one ski in and they were not on the sides but in the middle of the trail, rocks popping up etc.

Either way it will be a long day but if I can ride some good snow it will be worth it. Likely 6 hours in the truck that day.

Hopefully the storm brings a lot more snow and improves the conditions significantly allowing a bigger loop. I'm guessing it can be adapt as you go to the conditions. If they are better than hoped spread the range.

The other thing is trying to avoid the ice unless staked.

Understandable. I guess we'll just wait and see what this storm brings. I would also be in the truck for 6-7hrs if I ride in Kearney. That's why I was thinking mactier as it's only 2hrs each way for me. Really hoping this storm brings a good pile along with it!

see my recent post # 2 in another thread, for today's report re Kearney and the Seguin Trail:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16058-snowmobiling-kearney-north-this-week/#entry213843

Seems like they are ok Kearney way...

Just looking at the options and hoping things get better snow wise and looking for a route that doesn't include lake running. Google maps show that from Port Severn to Sprucedale is 1 hr 20 min up the 400 and across road 518 and 1 hr 40 min to Kearney after I drive the 1 hr 30 min to Port Severn from home to pick up the trailer and sleds. Damn I hate not having snow without having to trailer.

I look at the local options and C101 will get me to Dunchurch and Ahmic Harbour which then have you on C104D then on ice. If you go off C101 and west on 803 or 804 you also end up on ice. 801 heading west off C101 take you on ice so some sort of a loop using C101 isn't a good option. West of Sprucedale or Kearney seem to be the best options for possibly avoiding chains of lake running and good snow.

So far I am considering starting out in Sprucedale and heading west

attachicon.gifroute.JPG

Round trip seems to avoid ice. The ITG doesn't show ice crossings as well as the paper maps do with their dotted lines. D123 shows 0.6 km as limited while the rest of the D123 is available. It doesn't seem to come near any water and seems to be a straight line through the tree cover when you zoom in.

Total would be about 130 km which I have been told will be a good day based on the current trail conditions with twists and low snow.

Now I need to convince the others I ride with to invest the extra 1.5 hr drive to get to Sprucedale after the drive to Port Severn. One of them comes from Woodstock then the 1.5 hr drive back to Port Severn at the end of the day.

Sure glad that my 75% refund cheque for my trail permit is in the mail. It should be here any time now.

?????

?????

Being facetious on the refund. It looks like the smiley face didn't make it in for some reason. Surprisingly though there have been people that wanted a refund. You know the old "the cheque is in the mail" but that is the cheque that never arrives.

South Seguin's groomer was out yesterday morning and again today. Went out around 1230 on the seguin heading to sprucedale. Trying to get rid of the slush ruts before they iced up making things worse. At this point not much the groomers can do until we get more snow. Lets hope for the best as we need more snow! 

Baylaker and 02, if I can get fri off I wouldnt mind joining in if im invited? I am off all weekend too if you are up for a ride then as well.... Ill just be busy on sat during the early part of the day as ill be with my FD doing med standby for our radar run then good to go.  

South Seguin's groomer was out yesterday morning and again today. Went out around 1230 on the seguin heading to sprucedale. Trying to get rid of the slush ruts before they iced up making things worse. At this point not much the groomers can do until we get more snow. Lets hope for the best as we need more snow! 

Baylaker and 02, if I can get fri off I wouldnt mind joining in if im invited? I am off all weekend too if you are up for a ride then as well.... Ill just be busy on sat during the early part of the day as ill be with my FD doing med standby for our radar run then good to go.  

The crew is working hard at making the most of the trails 

The crew is working hard at making the most of the trails

I have no doubt the volunteers and crew are doing absolutely everything possible to do the very best they can for the trails. Thanks for all they do. I am hoping to make the Friday trip as long as the planets stay in alignment and my wife doesn't mess things up. Personally the more the merrier. Always nice to meet and ride with new friends.

Super G you weren't doing TP on the Seguin Sunday afternoon by any chance were you

Thanks 02, they are doing the best they can with the conditions they have. An yes was out on sun afternoon, headed to my orrville bakery for my pulled pork sandwich then got a call to play hockey in humphrey for 6 so had to head back quicker than id have hoped :(

Thanks 02, they are doing the best they can with the conditions they have. An yes was out on sun afternoon, headed to my orrville bakery for my pulled pork sandwich then got a call to play hockey in humphrey for 6 so had to head back quicker than id have hoped :(

So that was you that waved us through as we were headed back to the petrocan. We were already past when I thought about the red and white sled and wondered if it was you or not

The more the merrier wherever the ride takes place! I'm still not %100 positive where I'll be riding whether it be mactier or Kearney with 02. Hell, I haven't even got an invite yet..kinda just invited myself! Hahaha.

I guess if we get good snow and I've got somebody to ride with in the mactier area that's probably where I'll ride.

If there's no new snow in mactier I'll be hoping to meet up in Kearney. Just not looking forward to the drive.

If there is an issue sledding north out of Mactier, you might consider unloading at the Petrocan /Timmies at 400 and Seguin.

If there is an issue sledding north out of Mactier, you might consider unloading at the Petrocan /Timmies at 400 and Seguin.

That's where we usually set out from when we trailer to the area. This time though thinking of things like avoiding lakes and road rash with the winter we have had we were thinking to avoid the long essentially straight run from the petrocan to a point where we can head north from the Seguin.

The C101 is the first option really to head north. You can get to Ahmic Harbour or Dunchurch but are going to hit ice if you continue. Same with 803 & 804 which run west from C101. Not far until you hit ice.

The next options to head either north or west are Sprucedale or Kearney. We figured rather than spend the time riding to there drive to there and spend the riding time on trails we haven't run a lot, have more snow and are likely to give a better ride for that day.

Draw back to not starting at the 400 is missing the Orrville Bakery

That's basically the start of the seguin right? Timmies/petrocan right beside hwy?

Hopefully very body gets the 15-20cm they are calling for. Then I don't think it'll be a problem riding anywhere.

So that was you that waved us through as we were headed back to the petrocan. We were already past when I thought about the red and white sled and wondered if it was you or not

Yes that wouldve been me then lol. I try not to make people stop completely as long as I can visually see their permit and then just wave them through. Cause we all just want to get out an ride while we can. 

Yes that wouldve been me then lol. I try not to make people stop completely as long as I can visually see their permit and then just wave them through. Cause we all just want to get out an ride while we can. 

The more the merrier wherever the ride takes place! I'm still not %100 positive where I'll be riding whether it be mactier or Kearney with 02. Hell, I haven't even got an invite yet..kinda just invited myself! Hahaha.

I guess if we get good snow and I've got somebody to ride with in the mactier area that's probably where I'll ride.

If there's no new snow in mactier I'll be hoping to meet up in Kearney. Just not looking forward to the drive.

Sounds good BL, We will know more by thurs what will be good or not and yes hopefully everyone gets the 20cms of nice snow! 

That's basically the start of the seguin right? Timmies/petrocan right beside hwy?

Yup. Park in the lot in front of Timmies with the other trucks and trailers. The Seguin runs east from the intersection at the end of the 400 off ramp

Archived