Zrtkat and Crew in Cochrane

zrtkat

Zrtkat and Crew Arrived in Cochrane tonight temperature really dropped tonight,we had a Horrible day Today left New Liskeard this morning to groomed trails to Earlton turned on A108 towards Kirkland Lake and the A trail thru Mattheson,well I will say that trail was the worst I have ever ridden in Ontario ,it was Mogul after Mogul for 160 miles ,steady rolling going down trail, 

From Earlton all the way to Cochrane was Moguls after Moguls, it has taken its toll on Zrtkat ,I was so exhausted when we got here ,we did see a Groomer in Cochrane it was a welcomed sight,

When we checked into hotel the people ahead of us where also complaining , hopefully tomorrow towards Hearst will make up for today,what could have been a nice day turned into a disaster.

I did get to meet maddmaxx today on the trail his group came by while zrtkat was resting LOL.I know they made it to cochrane way before us.

zrtkat has his pajamas on and ready for bed we are just ordering out tonight and will be back at it in the morning.

New%20Liskeard%20to%20Cochrane%20001_zps

New%20Liskeard%20to%20Cochrane%20002_zps

New%20Liskeard%20to%20Cochrane%20003_zps

New%20Liskeard%20to%20Cochrane%20004_zps

New%20Liskeard%20to%20Cochrane%20005_zps

A suggestion ... when you hit Moonbeam, take the L123 South, bypassing Kap. The A was much rougher than the 123. If I get news that Kap & VAL Rita has been groomed I'll let you know. IMHO I'd go by the South trail from Kap or earlier if nothing got groomed since Saturday evening.

Thanks for the report and pics! We will be heading that route this coming Friday and Saturday! Like Denis said, try the L123 from moonbeam to Opastika, then take the L155 into hearst. Much better than the A trail, and you guys can open up those turbo's..

A suggestion ... when you hit Moonbeam, take the L123 South, bypassing Kap. The A was much rougher than the 123. If I get news that Kap & VAL Rita has been groomed I'll let you know. IMHO I'd go by the South trail from Kap or earlier if nothing got groomed since Saturday evening.

thanks Denis for the info we need good trails for tomorrow

Also I am thinking going Elk Lake way would have been a bit better..Ride safe guys..

good Idea stay on the A trail bypass the A108 thru Kirkland Lake , we did run into the groomer 5 miles out of Cochrane got to open the turbos wide open felt good after running 10 miles a hour thru Moguls.

Hopefully they will groom the trails by the time u get up here.

have a great night 

Greg

Sorry to hear about the rough trails, seems to be a theme up here lately and the warm spell didn't help.

We went north on A108 from KL then back down the A trail to Kenogami and home on A110Q.  A108 was rough and not typical at all considering it was groomed just before the storm we had Friday.  A trail was a little better but not up to our usual late February status.  I spoke to a few sledders that had come down from Cochrane and they said it was really bad as well.  I hope the rest of your trip improves.

Sorry to hear about the rough trails, seems to be a theme up here lately and the warm spell didn't help.

We went north on A108 from KL then back down the A trail to Kenogami and home on A110Q.  A108 was rough and not typical at all considering it was groomed just before the storm we had Friday.  A trail was a little better but not up to our usual late February status.  I spoke to a few sledders that had come down from Cochrane and they said it was really bad as well.  I hope the rest of your trip improves.

Thanks UltraFrozen

it was just a rough day on me I get wore out fast on Moguls ,I am resting up and ready to get after it in the morning

you have a great night

Greg

good Idea stay on the A trail bypass the A108 thru Kirkland Lake , we did run into the groomer 5 miles out of Cochrane got to open the turbos wide open felt good after running 10 miles a hour thru Moguls.

Hopefully they will groom the trails by the time u get up here.

have a great night 

Greg

A108 between Englehart and Kirkland Lake is always in worse shape than the A trail through Elk Lake.  Everybody should treat these two as opposite to regular trails and stick with the A trail instead of expecting less traffic on the local A108 trail.  A108 gets pounded by the local daytrip crews either coming to KL or going to Englehart for lunch.  The A trail looks longer on the ITG, maybe one more reason it gets less traffic but I bet it takes less time to travel than the A108.

This is a trend we're seeing everywhere I think.  I believe we're seeing a result of a late start, minimal frost in the ground, too many warm spells and rain got into the base and now it's not holding a solid base.  It's worse in corners just about everywhere, some areas worse than others (traffic) but the theme is the same.  Bad base, too much traffic, not enough quiet time for the trail to set up after grooming, and erratic temperatures.  Calling for mild temps by mid-week again, hopefully not too much ...........

Here's an update I got from the Kap Sno-Rovers, this as of last night....

The L-123 from opaz. , the L-145 from the L-123 to the Lost River, L-123 to the Kap River and the " A " trail to walker road is groomed. Tomorrow the L-123 from the L-138 to the Kap River and the L-123 from the L-141 to Fanning Lake will be done.

Here's an update I got from the Kap Sno-Rovers, this as of last night....

The L-123 from opaz. , the L-145 from the L-123 to the Lost River, L-123 to the Kap River and the " A " trail to walker road is groomed. Tomorrow the L-123 from the L-138 to the Kap River and the L-123 from the L-141 to Fanning Lake will be done.

Thanks Denis for the up-date

There is a gas station in Moonbeam if you need gas before starting the long bypass since you will skip Kap if you stay on it all the way.

Have a better ride today!

Scott

There is a gas station in Moonbeam if you need gas before starting the long bypass since you will skip Kap if you stay on it all the way.

Have a better ride today!

Scott

Thanks Scott for the info bright sunny day outside this morning looks like a great day for riding

Greg

It was nice to meet zrtcat on the trail. It was brief as my group was also somewhat tired from the A trail ride.

Thanks for the report and pics! We will be heading that route this coming Friday and Saturday! Like Denis said, try the L123 from moonbeam to Opastika, then take the L155 into

hearst. Much better than the A trail, and you

guys can open up those turbo's..

Come on up to Elliot lake trails are Mint and no one is riding. Best trails I have been on in awhile.

It was nice to meet zrtcat on the trail. It was brief as my group was also somewhat tired from the A trail ride.

Same here maddmaxx nice to see you also one more day riding then heading back to ohio

Greg

Archived