Shining Tree to Timmins and back

DARKSIDE

Has the moderator team given any consideration to removing this whole thread?

How would you know what it takes to get banned if not for this thread?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I'm glad I went with my gut and didn't take the trip down from Timmins when we were up there.

I really can't understand a business not wanting to help the club bring a trail into the area. When the trail does open I'll be sure to visit the other gas station in town.

Lots changed since my memories at 3 bears and the area several years ago as a real young kid.

I didn't understand him. According to him, 100 sleds come down the 143, Grassey RD. Most fill up at his place, his camp is full of sledders but he said he doesn't make any money off sleds. He buys an $80,000 front end loader so he can use it to create his new trail into is place but can't afford an ad.

He threatens legal action concerning slander, because it's in writing, then in the same post accuses others with tampering with his mail. Poor guy seems to have issues.

I feel for his neighbours.

If we remove the thread he will tell everyone how badly he was treated and we removed the post to cover it up. The man made statements that others challenged. We did not attack him. We challenged his half truths and out right lies.

Has the moderator team given any consideration to removing this whole thread?

Oh NOOoooooo please don't !!!   If only for entertainment and educational purposes !!!

Now that he's gone, where the hell is his camp anyway ?  I've never been in that area, I'd like to have half a clue where he is and what/who else is around there.

Oh NOOoooooo please don't !!!   If only for entertainment and educational purposes !!!

Now that he's gone, where the hell is his camp anyway ?  I've never been in that area, I'd like to have half a clue where he is and what/who else is around there.

In the Shining Tree area on Hwy 560. 

Not sure where it is exactly in relation to 3 Bears & Shining Tree Camp.

In the Shining Tree area on Hwy 560. 

Not sure where it is exactly in relation to 3 Bears & Shining Tree Camp.

What's the place called, his camp ?

Shilling Lake or something like that, about 3 km east of 3 Bears.  I did have the misfortune of staying there once when 3 Bears was booked.  Does anyone know that Teepee, I think it's on C trail somewhere?  His cabins aren't quite as nice....

It's Spruce Shilling Camp. I'll make a note (last resort) on the spreadsheet for the next database update, 

The only teepee that I've ever ridden past was on C101F between Foleyet & Timmins. Not familiar w/ 1 along TOP C

WOW! I love how he throws EVERYONE under the bus. what he said to Rich, was uncalled for. what he said about dom and stg was also uncalled for. people like him usually weed themselves out, by how they act towards others. people can make their own minds up about how people act, and react to situations. Ski

Updating the spreadsheet & I see it had already been noted that it was rustic. 

It's Spruce Shilling Camp. I'll make a note (last resort) on the spreadsheet for the next database update, 

The only teepee that I've ever ridden past was on C101F between Foleyet & Timmins. Not familiar w/ 1 along TOP C

Actually that is a cool Tee Pee on C101F.

I believe Akron means Tatachickapita on C trail north of Gogama.  We stayed their maybe 8yrs ago.  From what I recall, food was good, place was a bit cold (temperature wise) as were the people.  I noticed on some recent ads, it is run by Dick and Dean Neil.  I am wondering if it is 2 brothers.  It used to be run by a husband and wife.   Run by generators when we were there, and they have gas on site.  Overall, it was a decent stay.

Last resort...you would be far better off riding the 50 miles to Gowganda and staying at either of the 2 wonderful places there then riding back to "C" the next day.

Re Teepee: That must be the one.  I've haven't been by it in a few years, that would explain why.

On another note; I wanted to comment on how much I appreciate what the people of Shining Tree and Gowganda do for all of us.  I have had the pleasure of staying at both places in Gowganda; you will not meet more genuine, finer, hard working people.  We stayed at Auld Reekie earlier this year, we were welcomed like family.  We have had similar experiences across the lake at Quicks and at 3 Bears when they were in business.  While I love snowmobiling around northern Ontario, that's only half the attraction, visiting these places and the people is absolutely the other.

^^ amazing people passionate about snowmobiling. Kelly, Auld Reekie, Gowganda Lake lodge, Darcy and Joanne at Cedar Gables, Scott at Blue Spruce, the lovely owners of Windy Lake Lodge near Sudbury...... These are just a few and I know there are many more. I love snowmobiling, but it's the people that make it special.

Wow this turned really nasty  , and I have to stay I did meet darkside sorry I don t remember his name. but he was very friendly and helpful. We stayed a night in one of his cabins , it was rustic but very clean and warm, funny thing is every sled trip we went on this year there was always a conversation about the night in shinning tree at spruce schilling camp and all agreed we needed to do another trip to the place we had a great time there. There is no cell service there and he offered his phone for us to use and recommended Ault Reekie lodge for us to stay because he does not have a restaurant and his cabins where more geared towards the guys working at the mill or logging in the area. We decided to stay anyway and it was ok .

I did in the past meet Urs and did not like him just the way he spoke to me I guess maybe he had a bad day Darkside is a nice friendly guy

The guy who grooms the trials in shinning tree told us himself that he rerouted the trail to his gas station and for us to avoid spruce schilling camp and 3 bears and that he had a cabin he could rent us.

Sorry I am bad with names alway forget them but I did meet the guy from owls nest on the trail very out spoken person as well and not a nice poster either

I have been reading posts on here 6-7 years now and always thought what a great bunch of guys on here lots of good information and humorous stories as well and all you guys did was stir the pot and work the old guy up and than you ban him for snapping back.

This is just my opinion, I did not read the forum rules when I registered several years ago so if I have posted something inappropriate please delete my posts and profile.

Wow this turned really nasty  , and I have to stay I did meet darkside sorry I don t remember his name. but he was very friendly and helpful. We stayed a night in one of his cabins , it was rustic but very clean and warm, funny thing is every sled trip we went on this year there was always a conversation about the night in shinning tree at spruce schilling camp and all agreed we needed to do another trip to the place we had a great time there. There is no cell service there and he offered his phone for us to use and recommended Ault Reekie lodge for us to stay because he does not have a restaurant and his cabins where more geared towards the guys working at the mill or logging in the area. We decided to stay anyway and it was ok .

I did in the past meet Urs and did not like him just the way he spoke to me I guess maybe he had a bad day Darkside is a nice friendly guy

The guy who grooms the trials in shinning tree told us himself that he rerouted the trail to his gas station and for us to avoid spruce schilling camp and 3 bears and that he had a cabin he could rent us.

Sorry I am bad with names alway forget them but I did meet the guy from owls nest on the trail very out spoken person as well and not a nice poster either

I have been reading posts on here 6-7 years now and always thought what a great bunch of guys on here lots of good information and humorous stories as well and all you guys did was stir the pot and work the old guy up and than you ban him for snapping back.

This is just my opinion, I did not read the forum rules when I registered several years ago so if I have posted something inappropriate please delete my posts and profile.

Ed, I remember the day we sledded together two years ago, after meeting on this forum. We talked quite a bit on the trail that day, and I know you are a real stand up guy.

I also personally know some of the guys who conflicted with DARKSIDE in this thread. They too are stand up guys, and I was a little surprised at the amount of push back that DARKSIDE received from them. It was not fun to watch. I believe DS may have offended a few people in one or more threads on earlier occasions, which might explain why this thread ramped up the way it did. Not really sure.

I would like to thank  you very much for speaking on DS's behalf, and for providing a more informed perspective about DS, beyond that which could be formed solely from the posts on this forum. DS eventually crossed the line by making direct bashing statements about forum members, but I tend to agree with you that we could more or less see it coming.

I think certain things happen behind the scenes on this forum, and there may be more to the story than what you and I can know.

Take care, and please don't give up on this forum!

Actually that is a cool Tee Pee on C101F.

I believe Akron means Tatachickapita on C trail north of Gogama.  We stayed their maybe 8yrs ago.  From what I recall, food was good, place was a bit cold (temperature wise) as were the people.  I noticed on some recent ads, it is run by Dick and Dean Neil.  I am wondering if it is 2 brothers.  It used to be run by a husband and wife.   Run by generators when we were there, and they have gas on site.  Overall, it was a decent stay.

We stayed @ TCP a few years ago (even after reading the comments on here) The room were fine & the meals were great. I can see where people that might've been expecting a "party" atmosphere might be disappointed. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the place. 

I had a problem w/ "DARKSIDE" last year when I inadvertently edited his business's name. He got really pissy about even after I re-edited it & apologized for the mistake.

IMO his slagging other businesses in the area while hiding behind a "nickname" isn't kosher. If you own a business that directly benefits from the sport, use your business name. AULD Reekie, GLC & Lillabelle, et cetera  have put their name "out there". I don't ever recall any of them taking shots @ their neighbours.

If you're hiding your name, your hiding an ulterior motive.

Wonder what he's going to do with himself all day now?

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

i would of thought that this forum would be a little more cordial to individuals that post information that is current and correct,considering this is for the benefit and enjoyment for ontario snowmobilers.i find myself posting with great disapointment to how this thread turned ugly so fast.the only direct route from shining tree-timmins is the plowed road known as grassy lk rd up to pine st 

at present there is no direct route as the C is not completed and neither the L143.the plowed road is not problematic at all,until spring thaw

Welcome to the forum "tor428". I appreciate the unbiased insight. The C trail is due to open any day. The trail was groomed yesterday, They're just waiting for final approval on the new bridge. I rode there yesterday and spoke with the groomer operators from Timmins and Shining Tree.

There is still some work that needs to be done on the L143, but it's getting close. Whether or not it actually opens this year is questionable. It will depend on the length of the season.

There are a host of hard working volunteers that anyone can contact for the very latest information.

If you really can't find the contact info on your own, PM me and I'll provide assistance.

Tor428, I believe there has been a breakdown of respect between some members on this subject. Clearly the individual in question has the respect and support of some people on here but the bickering has gone beyond what is acceptable and mud has been thrown. A line has been crossed. I don't know the man personally, never been to that area, but after what I've seen here I wouldn't support his business. Throwing insults and accusations like he's done is not what I'd consider Professional, no matter what issues he's got to deal with.

Archived