Shining Tree to Timmins and back

DARKSIDE

First time we had the sleds out this year because we haven't had time.  Took Grassy Road which is the old L143 to Timmins.  Had lunch, visited with a few other sledders and road back.  One heck of a beautiful ride.  Hope we get a chance to do it again before the snow gets too deep....lol.  But then again, that's why we ride Yamaha Apex's.  Just had 4 guys from Timmins stop for gas and they agree with us.  Beautiful ride!!!   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent to hear! Any word on the L143? Obviously you can take grassy lake road down from Timmins.

Was planing on possibly heading to shinning tree and the on over to new liskeard next Tuesday after family day.

You do realize this is the old L143.  I don't know where the new L143 is because they won't tell me.  And I don't really care.  We've got over 100 guys a weekend coming down Grassy L143.  Ride where you want.  Grassy is fun and a wonderful ride.  

The grassy rocks , used to see lots of moose up there

You do realize this is the old L143. I don't know where the new L143 is because they won't tell me. And I don't really care. We've got over 100 guys a weekend coming down Grassy L143. Ride where you want. Grassy is fun and a wonderful ride.

Yes I realize it's the old trail. Thanks for the info. Maybe we will see you soon.

Always loved that trail.

I always loved that trail too. When it was a trail. Now, it's a plowed road. Has been for a while. Not sure you have to worry about the snow getting too deep on a plowed road. Not sure why anyone gets their kicks out of driving that far on a road. Unless you don't have a trail pass.

I always loved that trail too. When it was a trail. Now, it's a plowed road. Has been for a while. Not sure you have to worry about the snow getting too deep on a plowed road. Not sure why anyone gets their kicks out of driving that far on a road. Unless you don't have a trail pass.

I don't know the last time you were on Grassy Road, the old L143, or where your information came from, but last year they quit plowing it in the middle of January.  I just went down there in one of my trucks and it has not been plowed, except earlier in the year and then only to the access road.  When we went up there over the weekend, there was a little over 2 feet of snow on the road.  And like I said, I just got back from there and there is still over 2 feet of snow on the road.  And as far as the trail permits go, I don't know if the guys using it have them or not but I see a great number of them on the machines when they come in here.  And they are riding a lot farther than just here.  They are going on to Kap, Cochrane & Wawa.  And if they didn't have the permits, I'm sure sooner than later they would get caught.  I've been here 50 years and I deal daily, if not weekly with all the logging companies all year long, not just in the winter.  And if you don't believe that, call them and ask them about me.  

Just now had 5 guys come in from there for gas.  And one of them owns one of the largest logging companies in the province.  He doesn't want his name used because he doesn't want all the nasty emails.  I took a picture but I don't know how to post a picture.  So if somebody will tell me I will post it.  Also I quizzed him about Grassy, since one of his companies is the one that uses Grassy and plows it.  I asked him how come we can't use that road anymore for the C trail and this is what he told me.  He said he has tried several times to reach a happy medium with the clubs and it didn't work out because the clubs didn't hold to what they said they were going to do.  Sleds still coming down the middle of the road at 70 mph.  Jumping off the groomed trail and splattering snow all over the road, which his drivers complained about drastically.   He said he would entertain the notion of using it again if someone like me would want to get involved (pat myself on the back) but that's not going to happen the way things are around here.  

I'm not sure I'd pat yourself on the back.  I've only see you post when you are complaining and trying, for some reason, to discredit the local club.

I'm not sure I'd pat yourself on the back. I've only see you post when you are complaining and trying, for some reason, to discredit the local club.

X2! Something fishy here. Local club is saying this Is all false and new L143 Is ready to open to avoid going down grassey road.

I'm not sure I'd pat yourself on the back.  I've only see you post when you are complaining and trying, for some reason, to discredit the local club.

I'm not patting myself on the back Domino.  I know you own this site and can cancel me at any time, which I think you are pretty close to doing because I won't let your "Groomer God" and the Gogama Club, which is not a local club to us here, it's 70 miles away in one direction, shut everything in Shining Tree off.  You say he is a volunteer, he gets paid for every damn thing he does.  If he didn't, he wouldn't do it.  I was here years before he got here and I'll be years after he's gone.  I don't know why you have such a hard on for me, maybe it's because you misread a lot of the posts, or reconcile what is really happening here.  Or you can't take any comments about the "Groomer God".  When they needed my property to get to the old L143, I could do no wrong.  Now I'm just an ass but I will not let them run over me.  I have a tractor coming in this week and I will show you how to open trails next year with or without sanction.  Your choice.  And just a little bit more information for you, the old L143 on Grassy Road is my BHA and BMA areas, I don't need a permit, even though I do get them.  And yeah, we don't ride a lot each year because we are too busy.  I get an average of 10 to 15 calls a day in here from sledders and that will continue whether I am on this forum or not.  You need to do a little more research before you start slamming me.  For 2 to 3 months at the best of trade from sledders is not going to make or break me now or any other time.  The "Groomer God" it will.  Money rules their domain.  Not mine.  

I'm sorry to hear you don't want to get involved. Tough to improve things if you are not part of the solution.

Like many busy business owners around here, there are not enough hours in the day to attend to business plus volunteer for the club. For those, supporting the club in other ways can be equally beneficial to the sport. Like a map ad, for instance. I don't see yours on the map. Urs and Ron, who you cited elsewhere, devote substantial hours to organized snowmobiling and I note they also have good sized ads on the map.

I hope you consider getting involved. Our sport needs it.

I haven't been to the area in a while. Seems like you have allot of knowledge about area darkside. Now that three bears is closed, you could recurve allot more sled traffic. A trail to your door step with a map add on ofsc guide, would re assure us passing sledders. Most of us that don't know the area well are avoiding it. Most sledders are return customers, so potential is huge for you.

I was in Shining Tree last weekend from Sudbury; I don't think I saw 100 sleds all weekend, maybe 20 around Capreol.  Regardless of which L143 it is; it should be goal to get more sleds on the trail, any trail.  If there's more traffic, we all win.

I'm sorry to hear you don't want to get involved. Tough to improve things if you are not part of the solution.

Like many busy business owners around here, there are not enough hours in the day to attend to business plus volunteer for the club. For those, supporting the club in other ways can be equally beneficial to the sport. Like a map ad, for instance. I don't see yours on the map. Urs and Ron, who you cited elsewhere, devote substantial hours to organized snowmobiling and I note they also have good sized ads on the map.

I hope you consider getting involved. Our sport needs it.

X2

...He said he has tried several times to reach a happy medium with the clubs and it didn't work out because the clubs didn't hold to what they said they were going to do.  Sleds still coming down the middle of the road at 70 mph.  Jumping off the groomed trail and splattering snow all over the road, which his drivers complained about drastically. He said he would entertain the notion of using it again if someone like me would want to get involved (pat myself on the back) but that's not going to happen the way things are around here.  

I'm not here to pile on. The way I read this, there are some sledders causing the problem on the Rd/Trail. Its not the clubs fault but the riders. Unless your going to stand on the trail with the OPP I don't see how you are going to change things. 

...Also I quizzed him about Grassy, since one of his companies is the one that uses Grassy and plows it.  I asked him how come we can't use that road anymore for the C trail and this is what he told me.  He said he has tried several times to reach a happy medium with the clubs and it didn't work out because the clubs didn't hold to what they said they were going to do.  Sleds still coming down the middle of the road at 70 mph.  Jumping off the groomed trail and splattering snow all over the road, which his drivers complained about drastically.   He said he would entertain the notion of using it again if someone like me would want to get involved (pat myself on the back) but that's not going to happen the way things are around here.  

Sound like the trail is being moved due to safety reasons. Yet you said you basted down the old trail and tell others to. That does not sound very helpful or wise.

Also I quizzed him about Grassy, since one of his companies is the one that uses Grassy and plows it.   Sleds still coming down the middle of the road at 70 mph.  Jumping off the groomed trail and splattering snow all over the road, which his drivers complained about drastically.  

His company plows it. Middle of road. Splattering Snow all over road. Drivers. Sounds, from your post above, that it is plowed.

Nope. just what he said why we had to stop the use of it.

Just to clarify for you.  The Grassy Road is not plowed right now and they have no plans to plow it until the middle or end of March.  And that will be to remove excess snow so the melt and runoff doesn't ruin the road.  Now that is as of right now.  That could change tomorrow, next week or whenever.....it's their choice.  

Ok, it looks like I've made a mistake posting any news or opinions about Shining Tree.  It appears I've ruffled people who have a lot more feathers than me.  For that, I apologize but I was just voicing my opinion and comments about the area.  Most of you don't live anywhere near here or really know anything about what's going on here.  But don't worry about me because I'm through posting anything about the area, or comments.  And again, I apologize for voicing a different opinion than the owners on here.   You guys have a good season and ride safe!  Me and my wife were ALS Paramedics for 20 years and I think we may have seen it all from snowmobile accidents.  You name it.....we've attended them.  

Once again, ride safe, ride sober and hope we will see you again.

That's your call. There's nothing wrong with having a different opinion. When you make a strong statement not everyone is going to agree with you, but we are not stopping you from voicing it.

This might be relevant, from Marc Lapalme of Timmins Snowmobile Club ....

So a little update on the progress. For the L143, the Elk lake Trailblazers will be packing from the south heading north and is looking good to reach 1/2 way.Timmins is working on packing and clearing to meet with Elk Lake hopefully at the same time but it could be by early next week. Our goal is to open it as soon as we can. C trail, by late next week the forestry company should have the new bridge in place. Also, the groomer on the Gogama side has broken down (not looking good to have it repaired), so we are in the process to sending another unit from another club to Gogama. The C101D is progressing well, Stay tuned to see a change in colours!!! A big thank you very much to our dedicated volunteers from all our clubs as well as our members! This has got to be one of the most challenging season I have seen in a while!! Whoa!!!

This might be relevant, from Marc Lapalme of Timmins Snowmobile Club ....

So a little update on the progress. For the L143, the Elk lake Trailblazers will be packing from the south heading north and is looking good to reach 1/2 way.Timmins is working on packing and clearing to meet with Elk Lake hopefully at the same time but it could be by early next week. Our goal is to open it as soon as we can. C trail, by late next week the forestry company should have the new bridge in place. Also, the groomer on the Gogama side has broken down (not looking good to have it repaired), so we are in the process to sending another unit from another club to Gogama. The C101D is progressing well, Stay tuned to see a change in colours!!! A big thank you very much to our dedicated volunteers from all our clubs as well as our members! This has got to be one of the most challenging season I have seen in a while!! Whoa!!!

That's good news.  I can't wait to ride the new L143 but the Falls bridge is one of my favorite places to stop.  Maybe I'll just ride around in 200 mile circles for a few days!  We should be in Hearst on Tuesday 3/1.

Just came down from Timmins on the Grassy Road (old L143) along with 12 other sledders.  The good news is, they did a little plowing at the Timmins end, but the way they did it was done on purpose and left more than enough snow on the sides for snowmobiles.  That's only for a few kms.   Because as far as I know, this is the only way to get from Timmins down here.  Because from what I hear, the New L143 is not up and running and probably won't be this season.  I could be wrong.  And just so Slow Touring Guy will know, all the machines had trail passes.  LMAO.  Nobody is trying to beat you out of money.  They are just trying to find a place to ride their sleds.  And Akron, you must have been on the wrong trails on the Family weekend, because I had over 80 guys on sleds in here as well as my camp was full.  So the bosses here don't raise my points anymore because their pissed at me.  So be it!  

Right now, I guess there is no money for the money making clubs, which is much needed and I understand that.  But you guys shouldn't deny guys who have trail permits and looking for a place to ride.  

And I have anywhere from 25 guys or more a day, calling here wanting to know our hours and if I have gas.  And I am open from 9 AM to 7 PM, 7 days a week.  I am a normal gas station.  I have 15000 gallons (not litres) of Premium gas.  Been here 50 years.  Didn't drag a tank in for 2 or 3 months out of the year.  I guess all the phone calls is because the Groomer god is not answering his phone.  I hope this post makes it but I seriously doubt it.  

Archived