Shining Tree....very, very close call today!

DARKSIDE

I went to pick up my mail today on my way to Shining Tree Tourist Camp, where the groomer is, on a road that is 2" deep in ice, driving a truck with a 7' plow raised.  Two sleds came tearing out of that driveway, 20 ft. in front of me on a blind curve.  Put my truck to the ditch or somebody would have been killed or very badly hurt.  Don't know if you guys are members here or not but they went another 30 or 40 ft. to where the groomer has went across Hwy. 560 and did the same damn thing.  And it's not just me.  We have an excess of 100 logging trucks come through here a day.  And if you think those boys are going to put their truck in a ditch to keep from hitting you, you need your head examined.  They will kill you!  And it will be your fault because you are not stopping and looking.  When you hit the throttle and cross two roads within 50 yards of each other, without looking or stopping, sooner or later somebody is going to get it.  This is a sad situation and I'm afraid before the season ends, this is going to get a whole lot worse.  If you don't watch what the hell you are doing, before you cross these two roads, R.I.P. posts will be coming.  Lay off the libations at that groomers camp and quit trying to show off before it gets you killed.  I have called the OPP, MTO and TATA.  So expect some company on these roads from now on.  That includes a whole lot of STOP officers with breathalizers.  Forwarned is forarmed.  Slow down and live longer!

This should really help business to your establishment there DS 

I agree... There's no need for stupid to ruin what we have, it's not good if someone gets hurt or killed. What I find funny is when most of these yahoos are showing off there's nobody actually watching, except for maybe a chipmunk or a deer hiding in the trees.

There certainly used to be heavy libation at 3 Bears. I know first hand. LOL. But we only had to stumble from Bears Den to our cabin. I hope it is not happening at Shining Tree Tourist Camp. And it doesn't make sense. He is very active with the club, a big-time volunteer. Hardly the type to condone drinking on the trails. He also makes a donation from his fuel sales to the Gogama club with every fill-up. The area could use more volunteers and supporters like this!

Lay off the libations at that groomers camp 

Did  you speak with these people and observe a state of inebriation?  That's a serious accusation that seems to be an assumption only.  

I've seen lots of bonehead moves on the trail by sober riders.  

It seems like a good warning to watch for Logging Trucks, but the accusations need to be warranted before they will be tolerated on OC. 

Trails are super busy up north with the lack of snow in the south.  I see more guys stopped for a "pop" on the trails that I care to admit.  Its down right scary when you have lunch somewhere that serves alcohol how many people have multiple drinks then hit the trails.  I have been of the mind set for a while if you walk in wearing a helmet and suit they should be be legally allowed to serve you.

Trails are super busy up north with the lack of snow in the south.  I see more guys stopped for a "pop" on the trails that I care to admit.  Its down right scary when you have lunch somewhere that serves alcohol how many people have multiple drinks then hit the trails.  I have been of the mind set for a while if you walk in wearing a helmet and suit they should be be legally allowed to serve you.

Not that I typically partake in the cocktails at trail side lunch stops, but why would there be zero tolerance on a snowmobile vs a Road Vehicle, Transport Truck or Boat?

I have also witness what appeared to be excess in alcohol consumption during lunch stops, however it is not my place to judge.  Now if you are impaired on the road, trail or water to the point where you are a danger to others, I'll be the first to take action.

We need to be careful what we ask for.  It should not be the government that makes laws that over protect us to the point of ridiculous.  The distracted driving law is one recent example of this.  Should most people be restricted from reading emails or texts while driving, yes.  Can most (not all) people talk on a phone while driving without being distracted, yes. How is talking on the phone while holding it any different that smoking?  Why is is now illegal to check your phone (even touch it) while stopped at a red light?  Yes, maybe some people do not get moving as quickly as they should, but the law goes way to far to enable the police to have the ability to charge easier than if they had to prove you were texting rather than talking, etc.

Ultimately, you can't legislate common sense.  Maybe we should have a test at birth and if the infant cannot respond in the "typical manner, then we dispose of that one and try again?  (Extreme ridiculous to make a point)

And the simplest statement of them all....  You can't fix stupid!  :)

Domino.....I didn't say he served them.  He doesn't have that kind of license.  Some of them came down here in a truck and got beer.  And I went up an hour later to get my mail, they were all out in the driveway with machines everywhere, drinking the beer.  I didn't say they were drunk nor did I insinuate they were.  But that is the reason I called the OPP.  They were very careless and reckless about crossing 2 highways.  They just hit the throttle and out of the driveway and didn't slow down for nothing.

SlowTouringGuy......The Gogama Club owns those gas tanks and they own the gas, and the fuel tanks for the groomer and the fuel.  So it doesn't make any difference if you give them 5 cents a litre or not.  They own it all and get it anyway.  He gets paid for driving the groomer and any other work he does by the Gogama Club.  Also, there are only 12 people that live in this town.  And most of them are retired and don't own snowmobiles. 

And make no mistake, I'm not saying that Shining Tree Tourist Camp is serving them alcohol.  They are just standing in his driveway drinking it.  Because I won't allow that here from guys that are on sleds.  I think that's one of the reasons they came down here in a truck to get it.   I doesn't matter now, it's all over with.  And Domino, if you want to ban me, you go right ahead.  Next time I'll take pictures for you and get sled numbers.  I really don't want anybody arrested or charged.  That's why I haven't done that.

I think it does make difference if he is giving them 10 cents (not 5 but 10) because that means he is getting diddly for pumping and, in my world, if you are giving away your labour for free it is volunteering.

Darkside, you were driving a pickup truck with a plow, and put YOURSELF in the ditch to avoid them?!?

You're a better man than me ........

Darkside, you were driving a pickup truck with a plow, and put YOURSELF in the ditch to avoid them?!?

You're a better man than me ........

I agree with that ! I'm having trouble with other content but I certainly

agree with that !

He said "to" the ditch not "in" the ditch.

I appreciate all oft the clarification.  I've spent a lot of years and a lot of money supporting many of the businesses in Shining Tree.  I'm sad to see 3 Bears gone.  It was a good place regardless of some of the problems they had.  They looked out for us and it was a safe place to stay.  I enjoy that we can come to Shining Tree and get fuel at 2 locations and would hate (selfishly) to lose either one; I'm not sure if I can go from Capreol to Gowganda for gas and I do want to have to find out.  And, if I'm going to Timmins, I don't want to go to Gowganda. 

He said "to" the ditch not "in" the ditch.

Close enough ........

Archived