New Liskeard ride suggestions

weapon02

A group of us are going to the Quality Inn in New Liskeard on Family day weekend.

We've never ridden in that are before.

Can anyone recommend some nice day loops from there. Say 200 - 300 kms.

I see the trail heading to North Bay is yellow. What is that trail like? Can you make time on it or is it a slow go?

Any advise would be helpful thanks

I've not been out this year but the New Liskeard/ Kirkland Lake/ Elk Lake loop is about 315km long and a good ride.  Many shorter loops can be had if you run through Englehart and Charlton.  The little bit of RED at the Elk Lake river crossing will turn yellow with a short re-route today.  The whole area offers varied scenery so you never get bored of the old rail line, farm fields or lakes, rocks and trees.

I personally can't comment on trails south of New Liskeard as I've never been that far south without trailering.  The New Liskeard locals make trips to Temagami for lunch often I hear.  Check out Tri-Town Sno Travellers on Facebook for more info.

New Liskeard, Earlton and Kirkland Lake Clubs have groomed the crap out of the trails lately and I hear they are all in great shape, enjoy and let us know how they hold up for you and your group.

A trip to Gowganda, 140km is a good trip.  Two places to stay there, Auld Reekie and Gowganda Lake Camp; both are spectacular.  It would be a hike to do there and back in a day.  Both places offer a really nice experience for an overnight stay.  You could have lunch at Auld Reekie then have a ride to Shining Tree then back to where you would stay.  It's a great area regardless of what you decide to do.

Just rode from New Liskeard to Marten River and back.  Not a loop but a fun trip.  

North to Kirkland Lake on the L189 & A108 - Lunch at the Kenogami Bridge Inn which on the A trail where the A110Q intersects.  Then south on the A trail and across L 182 if it is open by then.  Otherwise down the A Trail all the way back to New Liskeard.

The suggestion to go to Auld Reekie and back is quite feasible - about 155 km each way.

Lots of shorter routes by going up to Englehart and Earlton.  Restaurants in both little towns.  

I am likely doing the Kenogami Bridge Inn trip on Saturday.

Have a good time.  Trails here in New Liskeard are great.

Just rode from New Liskeard to Marten River and back.  Not a loop but a fun trip.  

North to Kirkland Lake on the L189 & A108 - Lunch at the Kenogami Bridge Inn which on the A trail where the A110Q intersects.  Then south on the A trail and across L 182 if it is open by then.  Otherwise down the A Trail all the way back to New Liskeard.

The suggestion to go to Auld Reekie and back is quite feasible - about 155 km each way.

Lots of shorter routes by going up to Englehart and Earlton.  Restaurants in both little towns.  

I am likely doing the Kenogami Bridge Inn trip on Saturday.

Have a good time.  Trails here in New Liskeard are great.

This posted yesterday from the Club Echo's Facebook page regarding L162 (Charlton north-west to A trail):

Both our groomers will be working on the L162 monday and tuesday,grooming and brushing,if all goes well,it should be open limited by the weekend,keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks for the weather update. Wasn't aware temp was dropping so much. Gonna catch a few people off guard.

Trails have been great in the area but keep a look out for a lot of traffic.  No snow in the south has the northern trails seeing 10x the sleds we usually do.  Passed too many hot rods on the weekend to count.  A lot as usual over their heads and on the wrong side.  Never understood how people take the middle of each corner...

So, we are booked at the Holiday Inn New Liskeard Sat night and checking out Monday afternoon, Quality hotel was sold out except for a couple of smoking rooms, Will be doing some nice loops in the area and going to try and head towards Kirkland Lake Sunday.

Nunz

So, we are booked at the Holiday Inn New Liskeard Sat night and checking out Monday afternoon, Quality hotel was sold out except for a couple of smoking rooms, Will be doing some nice loops in the area and going to try and head towards Kirkland Lake Sunday.

Nunz

Me and a buddy are heading up to Kirkland Lake Sunday from North Bay maybe we will see you on the trails........ super weird while I type this I get a Facebook friend request lol

Me and a buddy are heading up to Kirkland Lake Sunday from North Bay maybe we will see you on the trails........ super weird while I type this I get a Facebook friend request lol

lol, I saw your post on the Du u wanna club page and figured it was you lol...Shoot me a message on Sunday, There will us and a couple of ski doos, I will watch out for you for sure, haven't set a route yet, Hoping to meet up with Ultrafrozen at some point as well.

Nunz

lol, I saw your post on the Du u wanna club page and figured it was you lol...Shoot me a message on Sunday, There will us and a couple of ski doos, I will watch out for you for sure, haven't set a route yet, Hoping to meet up with Ultrafrozen at some point as well.

Nunz

Sounds good. I will be with another putty cat 6000 el tigre. 

Not sure you would want to do New Liskeard to North Bay and back in the same day.  When starting a loop in North Bay, I usually spend the night in New Liskeard

reevester - you go clear to Kirkland Lake from NB in the same day?  Isn't that kinda long?

Trails are doing well in the area, including some beauty rides on the "L" trails. Le Grand Boulevard in Earlton was tested Saturday and is a fine stop for a bite to eat. There are 2 other restaurants in town but we didn't review them. :-)

I've eaten at Cousins in Englehart before and it was good too. Going past their lot on Friday things looked quiet. The lot is plowed but no cars/sleds at the door. Might be worth a call in advance if you want to stop there. Not sure what else is close to the trail.

If you're coming out of NL the A up to Earlton, through Elk Lake and on up to Kirkland is a great ride. Come back to NL on the A108 to Earlton and A home.

This past weekend I found the trails superb. Maybe they aren't as good as they usually are in this area at this time of year but they are better than anything you'll find in your area in the best of years.

Not sure you would want to do New Liskeard to North Bay and back in the same day. When starting a loop in North Bay, I usually spend the night in New Liskeard

reevester - you go clear to Kirkland Lake from NB in the same day? Isn't that kinda long?

Roughly 200 miles. Should be a good day. It's been done before!

Trails are doing well in the area, including some beauty rides on the "L" trails. Le Grand Boulevard in Earlton was tested Saturday and is a fine stop for a bite to eat. There are 2 other restaurants in town but we didn't review them. :-)

I've eaten at Cousins in Englehart before and it was good too. Going past their lot on Friday things looked quiet. The lot is plowed but no cars/sleds at the door. Might be worth a call in advance if you want to stop there. Not sure what else is close to the trail.

If you're coming out of NL the A up to Earlton, through Elk Lake and on up to Kirkland is a great ride. Come back to NL on the A108 to Earlton and A home.

This past weekend I found the trails superb. Maybe they aren't as good as they usually are in this area at this time of year but they are better than anything you'll find in your area in the best of years.

Thanks!!!

BTW, KL CTC gas bar to Elk Lake via Earlton is "quick". <wink>

Perfect, just what I need to know lol

I'm hoping all the people from the South remember GEM, Eco, Tri Town, Golden (kirkland) for their permits next season since they will be doing 2x the work now with the lack of snow in the south the grooming $ will run out sooner.

I'm hoping all the people from the South remember GEM, Eco, Tri Town, Golden (kirkland) for their permits next season since they will be doing 2x the work now with the lack of snow in the south the grooming $ will run out sooner.

I understand what you mean and agree however I thought that with the new system of equalization payments it wouldn't make much if any difference any more what club you buy from in terms of the total dollars the club gets. Maybe someone in the know will chime in here with the real lowdown on how much difference it makes where you buy since I think a lot of other sledders may be thinking like me.

PLC, I believe you are right, assuming there is enough money in the provincial equalization pot to be distributed according to the formula. Presumably that would be the case most winters, especially in a winter like this when many areas are grooming less than their normal amount.

This funding reality has existed for the past three years or so, as far as I know, since the Framework For Change initiative.

PLC, I believe you are right, assuming there is enough money in the provincial equalization pot to be distributed according to the formula. Presumably that would be the case most

winters, especially in a winter like this when

many areas are grooming less than their normal

amount.

This funding reality has existed for the past three years or so, as far as I know, since the Framework For Change initiative.

Does it still have a lag using averages of how long trails were open in previous years to distribute the funds this year? I bought from dub, since they do a good job and have lots of kms of trail. So a boast in numbers can make a difference there as long as it doesn't cut the funds coming in?

Archived