North Bay Snowmobilers Club Report - January 22, 2016

bbakernbay

Well done!

Congratulations on your initiatives re: best trail signs. Distances as well!

Another superior newsletter. A successful, well run club.

You guys do a great job!  Thank you for many years of great experiences; except that ice heave I found on Nippissing in 02.  That wasn't your fault it was mine, I wasn't on the trail.

We were hoping to ride out of Parry Sound next weekend to Sudbury, Gowganda then back to Parry Sound though North Bay, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to do that yet.  We'll be though North Bay at the end of February. 

Interesting read about the portable washrooms. The pit never gets cleaned out, just move the toilets each season and fill pit in the spring with dirt? Just curious that is all. Great job on the trails so far. Keep up the good work!

You guys are fantastic. If I get to Dinner Bell again this year there will be another date square waiting for you. :-)

I'll be driving by the dinner bell tomorrow. I'll stop in and have a few date squares squirrelled away for him. He definitely goes above and beyond for us.

Bought 3 date squares for Brian and his crew today at the Dinner Bell. The nice lady behind the counter will hold onto them until he stops by.

Bought 3 date squares for Brian and his crew today at the Dinner Bell. The nice lady behind the counter will hold onto them until he stops by.

Thank you very much, I will stop in at DB tomorrow.

Where did you ride?

All 3 of our groomers out yesterday and today.

Hydro One working all along A112A plowing sections of trails to replace poles.

North River bridge is useful this year as River hasn't frozen.

Have fun, report on what you find.

Brian

Bringing a newbie up to North Bay the last week of February... Wondering where we can buy the multi-day permit (5-days) on Sunday when we arrive?  Seems more difficult to get permits each year.  I couldn't see where you can buy these ahead of time (online).  That would be ideal.

Bringing a newbie up to North Bay the last week of February... Wondering where we can buy the multi-day permit (5-days) on Sunday when we arrive?  Seems more difficult to get permits each year.  I couldn't see where you can buy these ahead of time (online).  That would be ideal.

This should help you Greg:

https://permits.ofsc.on.ca/faq-contact

Did you get your sled out in the snow you guys got the other week?

This should help you Greg:

https://permits.ofsc.on.ca/faq-contact

Did you get your sled out in the snow you guys got the other week?

OK... thanks.  I guess you can't see anything regarding permits on the OFSC site unless you first log in... I would rather buy online, but I'm not going to pay some huge transaction fee to do it.

The snow we got Friday/Saturday 22nd - 23rd was incredible.  We had about 4 inches (i.e. not ridable) on the ground Friday morning - the most so far this winter.  Began snowing hard Friday night after dark - snowed so hard it was eerily quite.  Woke up the next morning to 24 inches (about 61 cm).  Blew out the driveway and went road riding (back roads).  I have a 137x1.6 lug track and got stuck in my yard.  Very sugary snow.  It snowed another 8-10" at my house that day - locally some places got 40" (about a meter of snow).

Rode a bit in the fields near the house on Sunday - still pretty tough sledding (pun intended).  Then Monday night through Tuesday night we experienced 50 degree weather with high winds (hair dryer on ice cream)... at least HALF the snow was gone.  Got one good ride in on Friday after a cool down and 5 more inches... rode 120 miles on the local trails.

Mid to upper 50's on Saturday and Sunday - snow is almost completely gone.  It's heartbreaking.

Here is a pic from Saturday night... this was not drifted.  That deck is empty today.

post-20071-0-83836300-1454443669_thumb.jpg

Here is the permit buying link

https://permits.ofsc.on.ca/

If you haven't bought one before you need to register as a newbie.

I don't think there is any handling fee because you print from your computer.

$25 per day, two day minimum

You choose the day to start so you can do it in advance of your travel.

Print an extra or two and keep in your pocket or bag, supposed to put in a Baggie and tape to your windshield.

Ontario Free 3-day Family Day Weekend pass is done the same way with no charge.

Brian

GREAT WAYS TO ENJOY ONTARIO TRAILS!

Experience Ontario Trails On Us!

Fun for the whole family!

Test drive the trails with our compliments on the Ontario Family Day Long Weekend (February 13-15, 2016).

With your 2016 Try Our Trails permit, you get unlimited access to any of the trails that are open and available for your riding pleasure.

Click to Register Today!

NEW FOR 2016! Multi-Day Permits

Pick your days to ride this winter!

New for 2016, our flexible multi-day permit gives you access to the trails for only $25/day (minimum 2 consecutive days). Multi-day permits are available from the convenience of your home so what are you waiting for?

BUY, PRINT and RIDE TODAY!

Click to Buy Your Permit Now!

How is the rain in North Bay?

The rain and mild weather did hurt but we got 4-5" of good wet snow on Tuesday night which was very helpful.

3 Groomers running today and the North Groomer did over 15 hours yesterday.

We are still showing Yellow - Limited due to a few water crossing trail issues plus Hydro One plowing of our A112A trail.

We are keeping our trails Limited due to a few areas where water is running across the trail and of course the a Hydro One plowing on A112A which impacts the run out to Mattawa on the north side.

North groomer did 15 hours yesterday and you can read his report on our Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthBaySnowmobileClub

Generally our trails are satisfactory but not great and we need one more good snowfall to go green but it doesn't appear likely in next week.

The Mattawa and Bonfield trails are reported as being satisfactory to good.

Snow is better up in the Kirkland Lake area.

Archived