A105Q Trail Closed

lillabellelodge

Maybe you should go to one of their club meetings and help them out with their decision making.

Wish I lived in the area.

I'm sure Kenny would love your input.

The Polar Bears (the club) need to notify the interactive map people at the OFSC that the trip planner is still allowing trips to be planned on the A105Q this season.

The free weekend in Quebec is coming on Feb. 6th & 7th and many have used this trail to enter and or leave in past years. Last year it was deep snow and opened just prior to the free weekend. Many may assume that this year will be the same and the map shows it to be a viable trail. That may be the only weekend that this trail gets lots of use?

Riders coming to the Ontario border on Sunday expecting to run through to Cochrane will be faced with great hardships and may try to break trail thus running out of fuel and worse.

Everywhere you look for direction on trails points you to the interactive and it is not giving anyone the correct info about trip planning.

The club has already met their obligations. They have posted the trail as closed on the guide. To ask volunteers to chase after people over and above this is an unreasonable request. Riders have been given the information and it is up to them to research further of the possibilities of the trail opening this winter. If they plan a trip they need to make sure any trails they plan on using are open.

• Like 1

Both A105Q (the closed trail in question) and A103 (Frazerdale dam loop) are red on the interactive. Prudent trip planning would suggest that you wouldn't venture either way since they are closed. 

You can, in fact, light up the A105Q trip and it shows that it 'would' be a 138.1 km trip from Cochrane to La Reine. However, the 'red' trail will likely warn riders. 

It's 138.1 km of straight trail and loneliness. Hope that all riders, at both ends, are aware. 

• Like 2

Visitors to our District 15 can always contact the Northern Corridor office DIRECTLY to find out the status of ANY trail within the district. Remember telephones?? Yes, we have a real live person in our office who would love to chat about the status (present AND future) of our trails.  Her responsibility is to upgrade the STATUS of trails, as per in the information provided to her from the clubs...not plot them onto, or remove them from the ITG. If a trail is indicating RED for UNAVAILABLE, it's very simple: don't go.

Northern Corridor TELEPHONE (TOLL FREE!!) : 1-877-287-2457

E-mail: corridor@nt.net

As for the A103 (Abitibi Canyon Loop), now that the TOP A trail has connected, volunteers from both Arctic Riders SRF Fauquier and Polar Bear Riders are working hard to get both sides of the trail ready to open. I encourage you to LIKE their pages (or send a Friend request) on Facebook so you can stay up-to-date on their efforts.

And that concludes my public service message for today. Happy trails, y'all.

• Like 1

I thank everyone for all the good info put out on this, especially the originator of the post who was trying to inform everyone of the trail closure.

I understand that the interactive map cannot be used to plan a trip as noted in this case, but does a good job of informing all viewers of trail status put forth by the clubs.

If the trail is indeed "permanently" closed, the club needs to ask for it to be totally removed from the ITG. It is a simple procedure.

In my opinion. LOL

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1

If the trail is indeed "permanently" closed, the club needs to ask for it to be totally removed from the ITG. It is a simple procedure.

In my opinion. LOL

I believe the club must decommision the trail before it can be closed permanently. As long as there are any club/OFSC signage out there it is still considered an OFSC trail. 138km is a lot of trail to inspect and decommission. Maybe the club can generate some interest in volunteers coming out to help if the trail is still on the books. It would be nice if things could change once some of the dust settles on all the changes going on.

Not sure if I posted this, but the current Ontario sled magazine had an article about 'off trail' riding catching on. 'Western' concept that Ontario sledders have adopted. I picture the Abitibi canyon climbing, boondocking. They mentioned that Wawa, in particular, was adopting this to generate trail interest.  

Fast forward to this trail closure. Perfect 'boondocking'. Riders will come. Hopefully, associated risks are known and no one gets hurt. Every time I go off trail (even with Doonut, years ago, in a small group) - I get this "who's land am I on" feeling. Not for everyone.

Anyhow, some risk management ahead. Hope they find a way to keep the trail open.

In light of this development, I'm glad that we were able to take this trail a few years ago. A long distance & out in the middle of nowhere, but more fun than riding & watching out for asshats on TOP E on a Sat' afternoon.

I believe the club must decommision the trail before it can be closed permanently. As long as there are any club/OFSC signage out there it is still considered an OFSC trail. 138km is a lot of trail to inspect and decommission. Maybe the club can generate some interest in volunteers coming out to help if the trail is still on the books. It would be nice if things could change once some of the dust settles on all the changes going on.

That all makes sense.

However, regarding another similar trail closure last year - a trail that our club knew we would not be able to groom - we were told by our district that it was not ok for our club to leave the trail on the ITG because it was misleading to sledders. District said it was a simple matter to have the trail removed and supposedly just as simple to have it added back on to the ITG later if circumstances changed. The district administrator put through the request and the trail disappeared from the ITG, for now at least.

Edited by Blake G

There are still loads of signs, bridges and other infrastructure all over D16. Different circumstances, but no one inspected any of it when it disappeared.

There are still loads of signs, bridges and other infrastructure all over D16. Different circumstances, but no one inspected any of it when it disappeared.

And as it happens, some of the adopted clubs from the old D16 are trying to resurrect some of those old trails. Funny how it all works out sometimes.

And as it happens, some of the adopted clubs from the old D16 are trying to resurrect some of those old trails. Funny how it all works out sometimes.

Yes, and I hope they're successful at it.   The Three clubs in question (Marathon, Greenstone and Thunder Bay) have all been adopted into other regions, as you say.  Since they were, to one degree or another still active, their infrastructure is probably in reasonably good shape.  I am aware that MNR is concerned about the OFSC bridges here in the Nipigon and Terrace Bay areas that have not been inspected or maintained in 4 or 5 years.  I know of two that have collapsed and others that would likely be hazardous to use.  I think that will be the big issue in trying to resurrect many of these trails over here, especially since it sounds like the OFSC is already cash strapped.  Bridges are expensive.   

• Like 1

We enjoyed our trip to Dist' 16 a few years ago.  I think it was the last winter A107A was open. Rode the Greenstone Loop & then rode south thru M'wadge to White River.

• 3 years later...

Posted today on QuebecRider:

We were in LaRein last wimter and while the three of us were sitting at the end of town looking towards the west an older fellow pulls,up on a skidoo. Start telling him about the runs I used to do years ago on the A105 into Cochrane and wanted to show my buddies. He says the trail is permanently closed AND that they ripped out those bridges out there. Said the only people that go out there now are boondockers some of which go down in those big ravines and up the other side. They can have it.  I have my memories.

Is that the case? I guess that's 1 less way to access the bush if needed.