A105Q Trail Closed

lillabellelodge

Thanks for the heads up. It was raised in the OFSC New Groomers thread but is very helpful as a standalone thread for trip planning.

IQ The groomer was old and already cost them 2 grooming trips with the tow job etc. Not much traffic on that trail for the amount of work that had to be done

Are you closed for good now too? I remember you stating you were going to put in apartments? How did that work out for you?

That sucks. I'm guessing that cross border traffic won't be popular w/ the stud ban in Quebec.

Just read that on their site! Can, or do I ask why the district has to reduce the groomer fleet?

As part of the OFSC's More on the Snow initiative, new groomers are being purchased for every district. In return, each district is required to retire one old groomer. This particular trail sees the least amount of traffic, is the last to open in the district, and that particular groomer has racked up a lot repair costs.

As part of the OFSC's More on the Snow initiative, new groomers are being purchased for every district. In return, each district is required to retire one old groomer. This particular trail

sees the least amount of traffic, is the last to

open in the district, and that particular groomer

has racked up a lot repair costs.

You think they would have a plain to keep a good old groomer from another club to keep key tourist trails open.

You think they would have a plain to keep a good old groomer from another club to keep key tourist trails open.

Apparently the system can no longer afford that. 

• Like 1

Apparently the system can no longer afford that.

Get rid of free weekend or charge 100 bucks for the 3 days. I bet we could afford to keep some of the older groomers from the proceeds.

Get rid of free weekend or charge 100 bucks for the 3 days. I bet we could afford to keep some of the older groomers from the proceeds.

You know, instead of always spouting about it, why the h--- don't you get involved and actually do something to help these situations!
  • Like 7

My group will miss this trail but I can understand the struggle to justify maintaining an under utilized trail. I doubt this would go anywhere, but was the Quebec side asked if they would help maintain the trail? They enjoy 50% of the economic benefit of the trail being open.

• Like 2

My group will miss this trail but I can understand the struggle to justify maintaining an under utilized trail. I doubt this would go anywhere, but was the Quebec side asked if they would help maintain the trail? They enjoy 50% of the economic benefit of the trail being open.

The winter we ran A105Q we stayed in Amos. I wonder how much sled traffic in that part of A-T is due to Ontario riders doing loops?

You know, instead of always spouting about it, why the h--- don't you get involved and actually do something to help these situations!

Ok who do I contact?

Ok who do I contact?

Any local club for a start. Get involved. Lend a hand. You live in a town with one. Shouldn't be rocket science for a wizard like yourself to look them up on the internet. They are even listed on this forum.
  • Like 2

Any local club for a start. Get involved. Lend a hand. You live in a town with one. Shouldn't be rocket science for a wizard like yourself to look them up on the internet. They are even listed on this forum.

I see!

Ok who do I contact?

The Nith Valley Sno Surfers are your local club. Their meeting is the 3rd Wed of the month (this week) held at the Murf upstairs starting at 7:30 I believe. They are always looking for volunteers to help keep the clubhouse open on the weekends. Most of the trail work is long time finished. If that doesn't suit you there are a number of other clubs in close proximity that you have claimed to been a member of in the past. It doesn't matter what club you belong to. Just get out and help. Time to put up or shut up.

Edited by Nith Valley Sledder
  • Like 3

The Nith Valley Sno Surfers are your local club. Their meeting is the 3rd Wed of the month (this week) held at the Murf upstairs starting at 7:30 I believe. They are always looking for volunteers

to help keep the clubhouse open on the

weekends. Most of the trail work is long time

finished. If that doesn't suit you there are a

number of other clubs in close proximity that you

have claimed to been a member of in the past. It

doesn't matter what club you belong to. Just get

out and help. Time to put up or shut up.

I always enjoyed talking to Sean! Great leader for sure! Thought you stopped going to meetings, is your daughter still attending as well?

Wow!

Had a big trip planned using this trail to enter and exit Quebec from Cochrane.

We start in the Soo and run up through Halfway, Chapleau, Foleyet, Timmins, Cochrane, and then use the A105Q trail to get into Le Reine

and all places beyond. Great people and places way north in Ontario and Quebec. Love exploring uncommon routes way north.

Then coming back west around the top and back down to Dub. The northern corridor is fantastic.

This takes Cochrane out of the Quebec trip as I will most likely run direct to Smooth Rock Falls before starting west.

I just checked the trail map and there is no disclaimer about this trail being shut down this season! Just figured it was still closed

due to an all around slow start this season.

Why use the maps to plan when they do not protect you by passing along changing trail info?

I am glad I finally heard it on here and can cancel lots of reservations for our group trip.

I was in Cochrane 4 times last season, but now it looks like we won't be going at all this year.

A BIG Thanks to Lillabelle Lodge for informing everyone!

This would have been a great big mess otherwise, but I am still greatly disappointed!

I think it was a fly by knight decision. Club is in a tough spot. Hopefully it can be opened next season.

How much traffic does this trail get?

Very little from locals apparently. All tourist traffic. That is one reason they picked this trail, locals won't miss it.

You think they would have a plain to keep a good old groomer from another club to keep key tourist trails open

Well, the District did send an older groomer from Hornepayne to Longlac (amalgamated with Geraldton to become the "Greenstone Snowmobile Club") to help that struggling club get back on it's feet.  Seems to me there was (is) a lengthy thread in this forum about re-connecting the old District 16 clubs. It's ironic that I have yet to read a thread about staying connected with Quebec.

These kinds of decision are not fly by night....as ANYONE who is involved in a club/district and the OFSC will appreciate. BUT I encourage everyone who is disappointed or who disagrees with the District's decision to contact them and let them know.

• Like 1