Barry's Bay Jan 10 - 12

Blake G

Crawdaddy and Pota waiting for GrizzlyGriff to suit up, at the Madawaska Valley Inn (owned and operated by Warwick and Nancy Fortune):
post-22473-0-98553400-1452229489_thumb.jpg

We enjoyed a ride of a little over 100 miles after arriving this afternoon.

The waterhole that swallowed the District Governor last week has been conquered:
post-22473-0-14519400-1452229588_thumb.jpg

First trail side break by Madawaska:
post-22473-0-54319200-1452229647_thumb.jpg

Algonquin Lunch Bar in Whitney:
post-22473-0-03028400-1452229751_thumb.jpg

Excellent food back at Fortune's Madawaska Valley Inn:
post-22473-0-71745700-1452229823_thumb.jpg

The trails are getting a little tired and bumpy because there has been quite a bit of sled traffic, and no significant new snow in the past few days. Let's hope the weather changes.

Sledjunk and OntaroF7 arrived at the inn late this evening. We look forward to a great breakfast and more happy trails tomorrow morning.

You and Frank at a couples resort :lol:

You and Frank at a couples resort :lol:

The walls are too thin

(for Frank's laugh) :-P

Have a great trip!

We stayed at the Madawaska Valley Inn a couple of years ago when in that area.  Great place!  GREAT food!  We might just have to think about a trip back that way!  

Do they have a secure sled parking area?

Yes indeed. Private property with long driveway off Highway 60.

4 plain, 4 raisin, and 0 pecan.

You inconsiderable swine.

I do admit that I bought the last of the pecan.

We were a happy bunch of OC'ers this afternoon.

Crawdaddy, Grizzlygriff, Sledjunk, OntarioF7, Snocrazy, and Cehyoopers.

post-22473-0-47946200-1452284286_thumb.jpg

I caught a little too much air a few minutes after taking the above photo and bailed off my sled to do some rapid calisthenics in the white stuff. I think I might need to curb my enthusiasm for the next ride. LOL

Innkeeper Warwick Fortune was kind enough to come fetch me so I could spend the rest of the day lying on a hard floor with ice on my back. Ouch. I'll be ready for some more fun in a few days when the back recovers and we get more snow. The sled is totally fine, and GrizzlyGriff generously offered to forego the rest of his ride, and returned to the Inn to get his truck and trailer to retrieve my abandoned Cat.

Glad you are okay.  Also glad you were NOT by yourself.  Take care Blake

I drive much slower when by myself. And yes I was very lucky to be with some OC pals and right beside a road. All part of the adventure.

Some trails up here are beat up or need more snow, but others are in really nice shape.

I caught a little too much air a few minutes after taking the above photo and bailed off my sled to do some rapid calisthenics in the white stuff. I think I might need to curb my enthusiasm for the next ride. LOL

Innkeeper Warwick Fortune was kind enough to come fetch me so I could spend the rest of the day lying on a hard floor with ice on my back. Ouch. I'll be ready for some more fun in a few days when the back recovers and we get more snow. The sled is totally fine, and GrizzlyGriff generously offered to forego the rest of his ride, and returned to the Inn to get his truck and trailer to retrieve my abandoned Cat.

Sorry to hear of your forced bailout Blake, but I'm not surprised Paul stepped up. He's like that.  

Glad your ok Blake!!

The ground seems to get harder as you get older, and we don' bounce as much either. Take it easy Blake.

The ground seems to get harder as you get older, and we don' bounce as much either. Take it easy Blake.

Indeed it does... things that wouldn't phase me when I was in my 20's put me out of commission for varying periods of time these days. Glad to hear you're okay Blake. Nice that people stepped up to help. I like to think that I would do the same stepping up and helping. You never know when you may be the one needing the assistance.

Take care if yourself and I hope you have a speedy recovery.  FYI, the rail trail from Lake St Peter to Whitney and B to B102 to the Inn was brutal tonight.  Certainly needs grooming and more snow.

I once caught about 5 feet of air on my xcr. Went up the football field at about 60 mph, was a steep incline. Landed square though with the handle bars bruising my ribs, since i was leaning forward and ergonomics were terrible on these indy's. That was a painful few weeks. Glad your ok and can laugh about it for rest of the season. I told my parents I hurt myself playing ball hockey at lunch, otherwise that would be end of sled for the season.

Kim and I are here at the couples resort in Whitney. Just finished pouring rain! Yikes!.. Glad this was a getaway weekend, and not a planned riding weekend. Snow and trail conditions looked ok last night on the way here, but this morning things look pretty soggy..

Great ride!! Nice to meet Crawdaddy, Grizzlygriff and Cehyoopers. Glad to hear you are doing better Blake!! Like Blake and Sledjunk said trails were pretty rough in places, and great in others. Grooming and more snow is desperately needed....My back is sore today!!

post-22317-0-33232200-1452358522_thumb.jpgpost-22317-0-84542700-1452358535_thumb.jpgpost-22317-0-20181800-1452358550_thumb.jpgpost-22317-0-85575600-1452358560_thumb.jpg

Kim and I are here at the couples resort in Whitney. Just finished pouring rain! Yikes!.. Glad this was a getaway weekend, and not a planned riding weekend. Snow and trail conditions looked

ok last night on the way here, but this morning

things look pretty soggy..

Sorry about your luck! At least you got a few miles in. I once went to north bay and got rained out in middle of feb. Trails never re opened that year.

GrizzlyGriff, OF7 and Iall headed home today after breakfast.  With the rain and the warm temps, we decided that there will be plenty of riding yet this season and there was no reason to head out.

Get better soon Blake!! We need to get you over here for another run as soon as things turn around.

Livin'

Archived