TOP A Reroute @ Hearst

revrnd

It was brought to my attention on DooTalk that my mileage for the route between Hearst & Hornepayne was way off.

Just looking @ the ITG & I see that TOP A west of Hearst has been rerouted north around on what is known as the Fushimi Loop. That'll definitely add miles to the route!

The new route using L115, L159, L165 & L163 is now 212 klicks/131 miles to Hornepayne. This doesn't include the 14 klick round trip into Calstock.

Denis do you know if this is permanent or just for this season?

Never heard that one. ... no one ever tells me anything.

I'll ask a friend and get back to you ....

At any rate I'd be surprised as that trail hasn't been open for the last 2 years.

Edit. No reroute for the A. The Fushimi loop if opened will be rerouted. No change in mileage to Hornepayne.

I see 2 sections of the A are showing in grey ... probably just not reported yet as per their status.

Just got a reply from Erin Van Alstine, D15 new bosslady.

"Nope I don't believe so. If it's on the interactive map possibly but we're not doing any work on that. The only reroute west of Hearst is on the A trail is to go around private property and it'll be a 1km switch."

Right from the source.

OK, that's much better. I'll just have to watch the ITG the next few days.

Thanks guys.  It's always been about 100 miles of excitement from Hearst to Hornepayne.  I've pushed this sled to 120 miles once, not sure it would make 130.

The day we gassed up in Calstock it hadn't opened yet though it was after the set time in the morning. While we were waiting for someone to show up. A car w/ 2 people pulled up to the pumps. A BFI got out of passenger side & asked what was up. We said nobody had showed up to open up for the day. The guy was bigger than me (I'm 6' 2") & he stormed over to the neighbouring mobile home. He started pounding on the wall beside the door & yelling. We thought he was going to pull the door off its hinges. About 15 minutes later somebody came over & opened up the store.

Revrnd, did you try creating a route from Hearst to Hornepayne on the ITG ?  I'm asking because it's possible that the guide doesn't add a track when it's in the Grey / unreported mode ... just tried manually and it accepted that one track.  Maybe you can do a route with the ITG and it won't accept the tracks in Grey.  The trails are basically the same as last year ... Erin mentioned she'll recheck the details, but is all but sure there's only the one 1km reroute for the A trail.

I remember back in 2001 the trail from Hearst to Hornpayne was about 20 miles longer. It went over a long bridge I think an old RR bridge. I think it was rerouted and ran along Rt 11. This was just before the old Bambino's restaurant and gas stop.

Thanks guys.  It's always been about 100 miles of excitement from Hearst to Hornepayne.  I've pushed this sled to 120 miles once, not sure it would make 130.

I have 2013 turbo limited. I can get 130 miles on a tank. last year ran 112 miles on 7.5 us gallons. I cost me a dollar more than my buddy driving a 600 sdi doo

I have 2013 turbo limited. I can get 130 miles on a tank. last year ran 112 miles on 7.5 us gallons. I cost me a dollar more than my buddy driving a 600 sdi doo

Thanks.  That's good to know.  I try not to push it that far.

I remember back in 2001 the trail from Hearst to Hornpayne was about 20 miles longer. It went over a long bridge I think an old RR bridge. I think it was rerouted and ran along Rt 11. This was just before the old Bambino's restaurant and gas stop.

I think you mean the old RR bridge that was on the A107A just pat Bambino's on the way to Longlac.  Not sure how a reroute to Hornepayne would have been possible, but 2001 was before I was riding that far west.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15375-last-winters-fun-updated/

Scroll down to post #19.

I always liked that stretch of trail.

As of 6 PM TOP is red not grey west of Hearst. Thanks for the help Denis & pass this along to your friend the "boss lady" @ D15  :right_on: Always helpful up there in the office.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15375-last-winters-fun-updated/

Scroll down to post #19.

I always liked that stretch of trail.

As of 6 PM TOP is red not grey west of Hearst. Thanks for the help Denis & pass this along to your friend the "boss lady" @ D15 :right_on: Always helpful up there in the office.

10-4 Revrnd... will do. I was impressed how quickly she replied to my message ... nice to ask for an information about the trails and not get snubbed ....

I think you mean the old RR bridge that was on the A107A just pat Bambino's on the way to Longlac.  Not sure how a reroute to Hornepayne would have been possible, but 2001 was before I was riding that far west.

I remember going over that bridge a couple of times on our way to Hornpayne. It was on the north side of highway 11 and you came out to Highway 11 on a road which if I remember correctly was just a bit west of Bambino's. One of those times would have been when Bambino's was still open I think.

heading from hornepayne to hearst,... you crossed directly over hwy 11 at bambinos, accessing the trail on the north side of 11. you crossed a few bridges, inc the one above, on an old rail grade. at the end of the rail grade,  you turned right, and headed east,  toward Hearst, which took you back to hwy 11 where you crossed it again,  and rode the right of way on the south side of hwy 11, crossing several culverts and the river again. then you crossed hwy 11 very near the town of hearst to access businesses, food, fuel, lodging ect... running the entire right of way south of 17, was a faster, easier to groom, and shortened the mileage from hornepayne to hearst, after the closure of bambinos to help with fuel range issues on sleds.

bring back the old A trail from Joges' to hornepayne. NOW, THAT WAS A TRAIL!  Ski

One trip thru there I remember crossing 1 bridge (the 1 pictured). Then another trip we crossed 2. The 2nd (further west) had been decked for truck use & had a deep "trough" between the planks. It was just wide enough for you track to drop into. We weren't impressed. I think the year we rode to Longlac was the last time the trail used the railbed. If it wasn't so far away I'd like to check out that area w/ the Ranger.

BTW, for those of you that have read us mentioning Bambino's, you didn't miss much. We never ate there (not needing or wanting to) but did gas up. The restaurant was pretty scuzzy. It reminded me of a run down truck stop on I-79 between Erie & Pittsburgh that I was in years ago. YUCK!

Well the OLD route went east out of Hornepayne and came out to the road at Oba, and then ducked back in and out of the bush and went N to Hearst. 

However - this route takes you accrost the KB with no bridge. 

Not sure what the justification was to clear the trail up to Mooseland. (Later Bambino's)

A baily over the KB (it crosses at a narrows) would have much easier.

I guess it was just b/c of Mooseland there - as they had fuel and such. ???

???

Got some incredible air time on the way south out of Hearst. Groomer along the road went over a driveway smooth as silk, and we couldn't see the "ramp" and then the other side of the driveway fell way off. I love to have my skis in the air, but not so much the track... That was exciting, but we never stopped to go back and doo it aggin either. 

the reason they routed to mooseland/bambinos is to appease the owners of bambinos, to send the trail by their door, for more business opportunities, and a fuel stop to hearst and longlac at mooseland... with the promise of them being open for fuel, food, and lodging. bambinos was only open a few years, and the economic collapse of north America helped to close their doors early. the time that had elapsed on the closed old A trail, made it a cost prohibitive nightmare to reopen the trail, even though it was a shorter route, between the two towns.

I wished we could get that one back, and keep the current trail like they did, the first year bambinos was open. you had an AWESOME weekend local loop. A trail to hearst, ride hearsts local loops, over night, and back another trail to hornepayne. if more locals in both towns were interested in this option, it would have probably stayed open. glad I was able to take the family on that, at least once. my daughter was on her own sled for her first year when she did that loop with us. at 11 years old, she rode 2500 miles that first year. GOOD TIMES! Ski

One trip thru there I remember crossing 1 bridge (the 1 pictured). Then another trip we crossed 2. The 2nd (further west) had been decked for truck use & had a deep "trough" between the planks. It was just wide enough for you track to drop into. We weren't impressed. I think the year we rode to Longlac was the last time the trail used the railbed. If it wasn't so far away I'd like to check out that area w/ the Ranger.

BTW, for those of you that have read us mentioning Bambino's, you didn't miss much. We never ate there (not needing or wanting to) but did gas up. The restaurant was pretty scuzzy. It reminded me of a run down truck stop on I-79 between Erie & Pittsburgh that I was in years ago. YUCK!

That place was a dive, dirty place, the food bad... would only eat a grilled cheese and soup and they screwed up the soup it was sour.....  was better with the old owners.

the reason they routed to mooseland/bambinos is to appease the owners of bambinos, to send the trail by their door, for more business opportunities, and a fuel stop to hearst and longlac at mooseland... with the promise of them being open for fuel, food, and lodging. bambinos was only open a few years, and the economic collapse of north America helped to close their doors early. the time that had elapsed on the closed old A trail, made it a cost prohibitive nightmare to reopen the trail, even though it was a shorter route, between the two towns.

I wished we could get that one back, and keep the current trail like they did, the first year bambinos was open. you had an AWESOME weekend local loop. A trail to hearst, ride hearsts local loops, over night, and back another trail to hornepayne. if more locals in both towns were interested in this option, it would have probably stayed open. glad I was able to take the family on that, at least once. my daughter was on her own sled for her first year when she did that loop with us. at 11 years old, she rode 2500 miles that first year. GOOD TIMES! Ski

That place was there before the trail system.

When it was sold (name changed to Bambino's) they did add on a bit, but the facility had been a truck stop for some time before that.

That place was a dive, dirty place, the food bad... would only eat a grilled cheese and soup and they screwed up the soup it was sour.....  was better with the old owners.

That's putting it mildly. The restaurant walls were bare studs that looked like they had been salvaged from a garage, talk about filthy.

I don't remember much about it before sledding past it. I think I had been thru Hearst via the highway before my sledding days in 2000. That year & '01 we ran the route that ran NE from Hornepayne. I don't recall being in Oba, sure you don't mean Coppell or Jogues? The next time thru there in '03 we went by Bambino's. What I heard back in those days was that the LC Poos w/ their smaller gas tanks couldn't make it from Hearst to Hornepayne. 

Luc, do you recall any chatter on the old Trail Conditions message board about that trail?

you didn't go through oba proper but, you were in the vicinity of it, as you went from the kabi area, toward jogues. same area of real estate. Ski

Archived