2016 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

ChainsawCarver, The trails have certainly been groomed this year. Trail conditions were not reported properly this week due to circumstances beyond my control. The issues that resulted in the poor trail conditions and inaccurate reporting have been resolved. Please refer to the trail conditions report on http://www.hcsa.ca/trails as the interactive guide is currently not up-to-date. This will be corrected before the end of the weekend.

Effective immediately, HCSA’s first-class team of groomer operators and myself are once again handling grooming operations.

Livin'

I rode the trails from Kinmount to Whitney (and to Deep River) Monday and they were insanely good. I rode Deep River to Kinmount in Thursday and they were rough for 20 km before I past a groomer. You can't expect these guys to groom every night and they also had 2 groomers go down. They also get a lot of traffic and can't do much during the week. I have been pleased with the effort.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode the trails from Kinmount to Whitney (and to Deep River) Monday and they were insanely good. I rode Deep River to Kinmount in Thursday and they were rough for 20 km before I past a groomer. You can't expect these guys to groom every night and they also had 2 groomers go down. They also get a lot of traffic and can't do much during the week. I have been pleased with the effort.

Come up and ride the B from Carnarvon to Hawk Lake. There has been a tree partially blocking the trail for over two weeks and the bumps are 2-3 feet high. We ride this trail every couple of days. You can believe us when we tell you this section has not been groomed for a long time. Its been at least 2 weeks and probably closer to 4 weeks since its seen a groomer.

Other than this section HCSA trails have been very good this season. Not slamming Livin' as he's done a great job but for some reason this section has been totally ignored.

ChainsawCarver, The trails have certainly been groomed this year. Trail conditions were not reported properly this week due to circumstances beyond my control. The issues that resulted in the poor trail conditions and inaccurate reporting have been resolved. Please refer to the trail conditions report on http://www.hcsa.ca/trails as the interactive guide is currently not up-to-date. This will be corrected before the end of the weekend.

Effective immediately, HCSA’s first-class team of groomer operators and myself are once again handling grooming operations.

Livin'

So who was handling the grooming before?

Come up and ride the B from Carnarvon to Hawk Lake. There has been a tree partially blocking the trail for over two weeks and the bumps are 2-3 feet high. We ride this trail every couple of days. You can believe us when we tell you this section has not been groomed for a long time. Its been at least 2 weeks and probably closer to 4 weeks since its seen a groomer.

Other than this section HCSA trails have been very good this season. Not slamming Livin' as he's done a great job but for some reason this section has been totally ignored.

John, I am 100 percent unfamiliar with that section of trail, but I've read several comments about its current condition. Since the problem is so well known, maybe some local riders should get together and remove that tree. Then maybe a solitary groomer operator might be able to do some grooming?

Not directing this in any negative way! Just trying to be helpful. LOL

As Livin' says "once again" I read that as, he was looking after the grooming among all the other stuff he does, but that at some point someone else took over the grooming responsibility. 

I don't think a groomer has been on this trail at all! Maybe packed but not groomed! This trail should not be green, I feel sorry for anyone planning a route on this trail as it horrible.

I offered to go help remove trees that were interfering with trails last week. One of them was done by, I'm assuming the club. If someone wants to help I'm all for going and removing the section of tree thats reducing the trail to 1 sled wide.

I offered to go help remove trees that were interfering with trails last week. One of them was done by, I'm assuming the club. If someone wants to help I'm all for going and removing the section of tree thats reducing the trail to 1 sled wide.

Right on! 

From my limited experience, coordinating willing volunteers is one of the most difficult tasks facing snowmobile clubs. I hope you guys get that trail smoothed out!!

PS: Is the tree near a roadway, or accessible only by sled?

jrhz06, I spoke to you this aft. You know better than anyone what's up, I came away with support and things will get back to the new normal asap. gobills, you know it was me,chill.Just not this week and it went sideways.

Livin'

Only sled accessible. I would have taken a chainsaw to it a while ago but I'm not going to try strapping a chainsaw onto my sled and bounce through the bumps. The tree is probably about 6-9" across and has a 4-5' section cut out of it already. I would think that a groomer should be able to push it off the trail but if someone wants to help I'll go meet them and get rid of it.

It's a short section of trail thats not the easiest to groom and there is a swampy area in the middle. A few years back they cut a bypass around the swampy section and it saw regular grooming. Its only been the past few years that it seems to be getting neglected. Don't know why as it is a Top trail and the main access to most of the lakes and Tall Pines area. Very frustrating for those of us on this side of the HCSA system as their other trails have gotten so much better in the past few years.

Livin' not slamming you at all. You've done a great job with the club. You have my support 100%. If there's anything I can do to help with this section of trail you have my number.

jrhz06, I spoke to you this aft. You know better than anyone what's up, I came away with support and things will get back to the new normal asap. gobills, you know it was me,chill.Just not this week and it went sideways.

Livin'

Don't take offence man we support everything you do and have done, just seems this side of the system is getting neglected this year. We're not the only ones noticing the Facebook page seems to have some input as well. If I had a chainsaw scab for the sled I would have got the trees out of the way no problem., even if I did three or four weeks ago the trail would still be the same.

Yesterday afternoon, I was out for my first ride of the season. The start of the ride was on  B from Maple Lake up to Little Hawk Lake...  well, it has all been stated already. This area of HCSA is always the first to fall between the cracks. I also found B from Redstone back to Beech River less than stellar. I kept up with the reports while working out of town all of February and I was stoked for a first ride yesterday. Very much a let  down. I'll have to just think "cross country enduro" and tell my wife we'll never do 2 up riding again in my home area. She has arthritic hands and gave up solo riding, but loves to ride with me. I'll have to take her to the Haliburton Forest for smooth trails.

Sorry to hear that Cayuna. We really did have some stellar trails. This week wasn't the best of the season on HCSA trails. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a good week, but the good news is that Livin' is back looking after the grooming on a go forward basis. I'm confident that once we get past this rain and we get a bit more snow that the trails will once again be good.

Sorry to hear that Cayuna. We really did have some stellar trails. This week wasn't the best of the season on HCSA trails. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a good week, but the good news is that Livin' is back looking after the grooming on a go forward basis. I'm confident that once we get past this rain and we get a bit more snow that the trails will once again be good.

Yes, great news that Livin' is back looking after the grooming. He has made a huge difference in the HCSA, and it looks like he is way over-loaded doing everything. As a hard core sledder, there is always next week, next month, but probably next season ! I'll be back for 2 more trail passes from HCSA even though this year is almost a write off.

Also, I'm free for the next couple of weeks and can help out with some trail grunting if needed. 

thanks for forgiving the sins of last week!! Came out of the other end better off ! All broken machines are going to be back at the shop today and we will regroup. Cayuna you couldn't of picked a worse week to return Im sure things will be fine after some snow and we will be back at it. jrhz06 I will call on Monday to deal with that tree. 

Livin'

You have my full support Livin. I'm available to work as well.

Any one know the status of the lakes with all this rain? I can handle bumpy trails but don't want to run on slush. sitting at 35 118 wondering s what to do. some input would be great.

2up no one local to Dorset has answered you yet.....my very uneducated expectation would be SLUSH...

Four Mile Lake in Coboconk is horrible. So much water on top, your sled water skips. I think the ice is good underneath (8" still) but not exactly my cup of tea. I am not reconmending it.

Tall Pines Trail 62 north from Kennisis Dam is being groomed tonight Feb. 19, 2016. It is really a GREAT tool that they can post in real time where their groomers have recently been. I

really like "Where are our groomers?" on their

website. Why can't other clubs do this? I think

that groomers are now equipped with gps.

Main reason I heard is clubs are afraid riders will flock to the freshly groomed trails.

I see puddles on Bosh. All we need now is cold and snow.

Livin' the trails over the past 2 seasons have been such an improvement. You've done a great job, and we appreciate it.

It would be pretty easy to access that tree via atv once this crap we've had all day freezes again. Wouldn't take much either, few cuts so a groomer can push it out of the way. It will likely be quite frozen in with this rain.

So is everything shut down up there for now.

Archived