Abitibi Canyon

ravinerat

So who has been and is it worth going? Bee up through the area many times but never had time to go up into the canyon. I know gas is expensive but hey.....it's a trip. What else is up there besides the trailer. We were thinking of maybe camping up there since we winter camp.bso looking for ideas.

RR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing at Fraserdale other than the trailer, very expensive gas and a 330 MW power dam.  If you go very far into the canyon, you may die unless you are a mountain rider.

I went all the way to Moosonee.

post-22018-0-35580900-1448318735_thumb.jpg

post-22018-0-15974500-1448318711_thumb.jpg

post-22018-0-93054400-1448318754_thumb.jpg

post-22018-0-95446200-1448318791_thumb.jpg

BP

It's fun , but if you go in you may never come out if you get stuck unless you are an expert mountain rider

Hey! She's back! :)

Thats what i was thinking ,its been awhile .

Hey! She's back! :)

I have never done it. Did ride over to dub and back from cochrand though. Great four day trip and since chapleau is open again, can take the short way home, making for an amazing loop. Love the scenery and terrain that way. Why ride in circles when you can actually go some where.

Why do people keep commenting on being a Mountain Rider? Not too many Mountains in Ontario or what we would call Mountains.  Are there lots of mountain riders here from out West? I don't find any recorded snowmobile deaths in the Canyon. I do consider myself being pretty competent on getting sleds un stuck. Even on a slushy lake.  I see tons of people going up in there on touring sleds, short tracks, crossovers. Actually a girl from work and her 12 year old sister went up there. Is it really that bad? The pics of the Hydro lines are pretty standard in Ontario if you break off the trail. I have Avalanche training. Taught winter survival. Lived in Northern Ontario and travelled through some of the most remote area's by snowmobile, skis and ......well you get the idea. We tour on sleds with a tent as we get to spend longer in areas without having to come out. Don't have to worry about reservations. If you want some great wilderness head up the James Bay rd on the Quebec side. We got within 44 km of Hudson's Bay.  

RR

Got to watch a few YouTube videos of the canyon. It was mostly on the Hydro line. Snow was nice and deep and I can see why people get stuck. Especially if the dig a hole. A 154" track and 10" skis would help. 10" skis I can do but no 154". I'm sure I'll be fine on my Renegade.

RR

Lots of guys play in the hydro lines up there Don. It's when you get on the rivers that you want a guide. I was there last year December 29th and the Cochrane side trail was freshly opened and smooth rock side was only packed. Was a great ride up and worth the $80 in gas. The hydro line was all ready tracked out when we arrived. With your experience you would be fine out there.

Why do people keep commenting on being a Mountain Rider? Not too many Mountains in Ontario or what we would call Mountains. Are there lots of mountain riders here from out West? I don't find any recorded snowmobile deaths in the Canyon. I do consider myself being pretty competent on getting sleds un stuck. Even on a slushy lake. I see tons of people going up in there on touring sleds, short tracks, crossovers. Actually a girl from work and her 12 year old sister went up there. Is it really that bad? The pics of the Hydro lines are pretty standard in Ontario if you break off the trail. I have Avalanche training. Taught winter survival. Lived in Northern Ontario and travelled through some of the most remote area's by snowmobile, skis and ......well you get the idea. We tour on sleds with a tent as we get to spend longer in areas without having to come out. Don't have to worry about reservations. If you want some great wilderness head up the James Bay rd on the Quebec side. We got within 44 km of Hudson's Bay.

RR

Maybe I miss under stood your first post. Are you wanting to go OFF trail in the canyon OR ride the OFSC trail up and down each side for the first time (or play in the power on the side of the trail/hydro line only).

Don't know. Just wanted to know if there was anything interesting to see besides the dam. See tons of them in my travels. I do lots off off trail especially when I lived in Hornepayne. Tons of powder runs. Was just looking for some options for trips. Can't afford Labrador this winter since I will be there in in the summer on bikes.

RR

Usually when I'm up there now it is early season and there is no gas up there at time.

RR

Usually when I'm up there now it is early season and there is no gas up there at time.

RR

I would rather ride over to kap! Terrain is more interesting over that way. The canyon loop is like running a flat logging road for 300 kms, I hear. Lots of people do that loop too. I like to get away from the traffic. The trip our on the ice to moose factory would be awesome. You could camp out in your tent. That would be a near experience. Need a polar bear gunmen though.

I would rather ride over to kap! Terrain is more interesting over that way. The canyon loop is like running a flat logging road for 300 kms, I hear. Lots of people do that loop too. I like to get away from the traffic. The trip our on the ice to moose factory would be awesome. You could camp out in your tent. That would be a near experience. Need a polar bear gunmen though.

Typical you haven't rode it but know what it's like. Very scenic up the Cochrane side.

Typical you haven't rode it but know what it's like. Very scenic up the Cochrane side.

Side effect of the avian flu

LOL. I get the chicken farmer thing but he does eat a lot of crow too most times.

We need people to eat less chicken! The market is crazy! Everytime I get additional kilio's my overall price goes down by a certain percentage. End up doing more for less overall. The avian flu is no joke either. Almost affected me last year the last quartine road was bleams just south of highway 7 and 8.

I've watched videos of a guy on a mxz 550 fan running through those power lines with ease... What's the big deal? Play safe and you should be fine no?

I've never been up there and it's not on my list of priorities .... except to say that I've done it.  Why ? 2 reasons.  1. I don't enjoy long straight runs, enough of that around Hearst.  2. I'm not a huge fan of powder running, so the canyon for me is just something to take pictures of.... (and not because I've just got a shorttrack, but because I don't get off from riding powder.)

To each his own, I'd likely drive up to the dam in the pickup and have more fun .....

For RR, I'm sure you'd find something interesting there .... good topography, the canyon must be cool to see and experience if you like off-trail excursions.  If you do go and it's not 50 below, let me know when, in case I get the urge ...  :D

i have ridden up both east and west side power lines,and have ridden in the canyon 2 x a year for the last eight.

The canyon is fun if you like the powder and have some off trail experience and enjoy verticals.

The biggest thing is that there is a trail around most of the hills till you come to the "three sisters"

There you either go up and over or turn back.Most turn back.If you do get past them the its virgin snow and lots of great challenges

Worthy of video.

The trail riding up and back is what you make of it.The east side is very scenic and is a good run.The west side is fast and i advise it gets cold quick when the sun goes down.

Try it once i think you will enjoy it.

I know me and my group have lots of interesting stories with regards to our travels there.

Nice explanation RedGreen from some one who actually does it rather than just hear say.

Denis007 . Why don't you just lead a trip on the old logging roads from Hearst to Oba. I did a run from Hornepayne to Oba. Virgin powder all the way.

For the rest. Northern Ontario is littered with logging road. You just need to know where they are. We used to be able to get maps off the logging companies but they no longer share the info. I still have some old MNR Topo maps which show lotss of the old roads.

I have left Barrie on snowmobile and run all through Northern Ont doing big loops. I used to have my holidays in the winter. It was getting hard to find someone who wanted to spend 10 days on a sled. No I Don't know if my body can take it.

I guess a Canyon run is in the books.

RR

I'd say giver a shot. It's a great scenic trip. I've done it a few times and enjoyed it. Last year towards the end of February I took my son up stayed in cochrane and did day loops. -38 to-40 all 4 mornings we woke up which took the fun out of it for me and have a brown dead spot on my right cheek to prove it lol. I've enjoyed reading a few of your trip stories RRat and a trip up to the canyon IMO looks like it's right up your alley.

Archived