Shining Tree....Three Bears...End of an Era!

DARKSIDE

We shook hands and told Brandon Baker goodbye for the last time yesterday.  I was over there this morning, put the closed sign up and chain closed the road.  We were here when the Bakers bought the place and there were many, many parties there...good and bad, which I for one will thoroughly miss.  The campfires and parties are all over now.  Being there today was very hard on me.  There was no one and no noise.  It was like being in a cemetery at midnight.  It made tears come to this old mans eyes.  Even if the place does sell, it will never be open as a restaurant and tavern again.  And there will never be gas there again.  If it sells it will be as a private camp.  Brandon is looking not too bad but the wear and tear on his body is showing.  So long my good friend.  Best of luck to you in the future.  

I have been told on more than one occasion that the groomer is being pulled out of Shining Tree because there is no place for them to groom.  The logging companies have closed all the roads to snowmobile traffic.  The meeting they had with them did not go well.  Money talks and bullshit walks fellows.  I've repeatedly contacted TATA and asked them to confirm or deny this.  So far they won't.  So that tells me the talk is probably true.  So you guys have a good season, if and when it starts.  And don't forget, Spruce Shilling Camp will always be here with Premium gas.  

Cheers to everyone!

Leon & Rhonda

I saw this on the lodging thread and contacted Kelly to confirm.  It is a sad time.  I remember the place well and have so many great memories...  It was the first place I said "Wow" look at this there's nothing anywhere near here and there's this.  Every time I rode in it was a relief, like finally we made it.  They'll take care of us here.   If we were late they called around to check on us.  They cared!  There aren't too many places where, once a year you can arrive an feel like family.  It didn't matter if it was Cindy, Kelly or Brandon, they welcomed us, and helped us if we needed it.  The first time I was there was my first trip north beyond Muskoka, we stayed at some place across the lake.  we raced across for dinner and asked Cindy what was on the menu.  She said "HOW'S STEAK?".  We were thoroughly intimidated by her 90 lb. frame and each of said "great" timidly.  We stayed there 20-30 times from then to last year where we spent a little time with Brandon.  He was weak, Kelly was gone and it was never going to be what it once was.  I hoped they would survive but the writing was on the wall.

Thank you all (Brandon, Kelly and Cindy) for your help, caring and the experiences you made for me.  These are some of the best snowmobiling experiences I will ever have.

Best to all,

AO

Looks like I'm most impacted by this.  Too bad again.  Sorry those who have been there didn't appreciate it the same way I did, really sorry for those who had never been.  Thanks Leon for starting the post and thanks for your help with fuel and company at 3 Bears in recent years.  I wish you and Rhonda well.  I'll be sure to stop by if we're in the area.

Anytime a place closes their doors it's a sad thing. We stopped in there a couple years ago, met Kelly and had a nice lunch. I wish all parties the best of luck.

Was through there running late one night on the way to Gowganda Lake Camp. Kelly called there and told them we were on our way. It was already dark and cold. Was only my second time there and she didn't know us from Adam.Very sad to see places like this close.

OK - I'll come out and ask it:

From all the posts on this subject over the last year - am I to piece together that a divorce was involved?

Yes, 10 years ago that was true.  But 3 heart attacks and 2 strokes later that's where we are now.  Any way, it doesn't make much difference why, it's just too bad to see it happen.  Because now there is no groomer, no restaurant and no bar.  

Yes, 10 years ago that was true. But 3 heart attacks and 2 strokes later that's where we are now. Any way, it doesn't make much difference why, it's just too bad to see it happen. Because

now there is no groomer, no restaurant and no

bar.

That sucks but is the new reality. Is George still running the sportsman 100 miles away?

That sucks but is the new reality. Is George still running the sportsman 100 miles away?

Now THAT I have been to, in the summer once back in ??? 2002 ???.

Actually it was Labour Day weekend, and we were the only ones there.

Yes, George is still running the Sportsman, we stayed there for the first time last year.  And for the record, last year there was gas in town in Shining Tree and a groomer was parked there as well.  There is also gas and lodging in Gowganda about 25 miles from where A107C intersects with "C".

• 1 month later...

WOW....I can proudly say that Three Bears in Shining Tree was my favorite place to stop. Something about It just made my trip up north worth while. Kelly was always so nice and it was so warm in there after the long ride to the place. I have no connection to Shining Tree or the folks that ran it but feeling sad at this moment due to their closure. I guess if you want to look on the bright side I do feel blessed to have been able to experience the place while it was open. R.I.P. Three Bears in Shining Tree!!

Boy I sure wish I could go back and edit my post from yesterday but I see no way to do so. Anyways I know that Shining Tree is a communtiy and meant to edit my post to stating "Three Bears in Shining Tree". I figure you guys know what I meant but thought I would clearify. R.I.P. Three Bears in Shining Tree.

Boy I sure wish I could go back and edit my post from yesterday but I see no way to do so. Anyways I know that Shining Tree is a communtiy and meant to edit my post to stating "Three Bears in Shining Tree". I figure you guys know what I meant but thought I would clearify. R.I.P. Three Bears in Shining Tree.

All fixed up!

Archived