Good News for the North

AkronOrange

I received a reply to an email I sent to D15 about a trail to Longlac.  The news is good in that it appears D15 would like to expand back into Longlac.   I think they're referring to the old A107A and not the "A" trail through Hillsport.  Either way it doesn't matter; even if they're only thinking about it, bringing back some of those closed trails is good news!  I've removed the names but the message is below.  If you would like to ride some of these trails I encourage you to send a message to D15 and let them know. 

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  I am brand new to  the job and it took me a while to find the answers you were seeking.

With regards to the trail between Longlac and Hearst, yes, there is the possibility of it re-opening unofficially this year.  Longlac and Geraldton are now part of District 15. 

Unfortunately, as of right now there are no plans for this year to re-open the A107 through Hillsport.  It is however on our radar and I would suggest you keep referring back to the online interactive map for the most up to date trail conditions.

Thank you so much for your interest in District 15 trails.  We hope to see you on the trails.

Northern Corridor du Nord Snowmobile Association

77 Brunelle Road North

Kapuskasing, On  P5N 2M1

P: 705-335-2110  877-287-2457

F: 705-335-2112

That's Great,, Snowmobiling coming back in my Backyard.     I talked to the Marathon Club, They are now in D-13, my district.  They had a meeting with the town of White River, they agreed to lend them a place to park a groomer and work with them, they plan on parking a groomer in White River and groom both sides of the D trail.  They want to come down and connect back to the Dubreuilville Alouettes trails.... the Only thing is logging has restarted in the area and they will be logging on the D trail west this winter.  Twin lake Road and 12 mile road...  there is no way around these areas.     We will see what we can do....

we talked about grooming trail 7 this season...  maybe we can hook up to them via paintlake road and McCormick road on the south side of Hwy 17.

Our new Motel owner Bought a Skid-Steer machine with a brusher and we will have all our trails brushed this fall.  Will keep you guys posted.

That's Great,, Snowmobiling coming back in my Backyard.     I talked to the Marathon Club, They are now in D-13, my district.  They had a meeting with the town of White River, they agreed to lend them a place to park a groomer and work with them, they plan on parking a groomer in White River and groom both sides of the D trail.  They want to come down and connect back to the Dubreuilville Alouettes trails.... the Only thing is logging has restarted in the area and they will be logging on the D trail west this winter.  Twin lake Road and 12 mile road...  there is no way around these areas.     We will see what we can do....

we talked about grooming trail 7 this season...  maybe we can hook up to them via paintlake road and McCormick road on the south side of Hwy 17.

Our new Motel owner Bought a Skid-Steer machine with a brusher and we will have all our trails brushed this fall.  Will keep you guys posted.

More good news!   Longlac and Marathon again; that's awesome.  Hope Manitouwadge can be next!

The Esso station in Heyden (corner of HWY 17 and 556) which closed last season now has new above ground fuel tanks.  Although not confirmed, It looks like there will be fuel available.  This was a big loss to the area since running from Sault Ste Marie all the way to Aubrey was too far without a fuel stop in between.  Hope it works out for this riding season!  

Last Sun' the girl @ the D15 booth was talking about the developments in the Longlac area.

The Esso station in Heyden (corner of HWY 17 and 556) which closed last season now has new above ground fuel tanks.  Although not confirmed, It looks like there will be fuel available.  This was a big loss to the area since running from Sault Ste Marie all the way to Aubrey was too far without a fuel stop in between.  Hope it works out for this riding season!  

Welcome to the forum Chad!  There's a lot of great info here.  Hope to get out your way this season!

Welcome to the forum Chad.

This is all great news. I really love the talk of opening trail 7 again luc.I miss that trail. It is right in my backyard at camp. Was always great to ride up d and back down 7. Makes a great loop.Either way it's exciting to hear talk of re opening these trails. Thanks for the hard work

This is all great news. I really love the talk of opening trail 7 again luc.I miss that trail. It is right in my backyard at camp. Was always great to ride up d and back down 7. Makes a great loop.Either way it's exciting to hear talk of re opening these trails. Thanks for the hard work

It's not 100% but there is a good chance.   Pat from 'Magpie Relay" Motel is helping us out, he get's it and he bought a Skid Steer  (Bobcat Style machine) and has ordered a brush cutter to go on the unit.   The Club will be able to use it to brush our trails.  All we have to do is pay for fuel... cost of running the machine.  AS soon as the Brush cutter gets in we  will give the trails a goo trim.

He get's it

The Dubreuil's have always been a big part of the club eh?

• 8 months later...

Thru Heyden last week & it didn't look like much if anything was going on @ the Esso station. No vehicles parked around the lot nor was their a price shown on the sign.

Thru Heyden last week & it didn't look like much if anything was going on @ the Esso station. No vehicles parked around the lot nor was their a price shown on the sign.

That never did open, but it really does little good at that part of the trail system as far as connecting to the east. Goulias River is actually better, but Searchmont is what makes it all possible for all sleds. We still carry a bit of fuel and the new sleds get better mileage so we go through in all directions. It just makes it better for all to have fuel.

I hope that the golf course trail connection will go through to St. Joseph Island this year. That would make it good for heading east from SSM.

One of the highlights of attending past AGM's was talking to the folks from SSM and points north. Great district and people. 

Attended a few informal gatherings with Luc, The Groomer Guy. That helped :-P 

• 3 months later...

I see in the new D15 map that A107 from "Bambino's/Mooseland" to Longlac is shown on it. :right_on: 

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

I see in the new D15 map that A107 from "Bambino's/Mooseland" to Longlac is shown on it. :right_on: 

It's not showing on the Interactive guide yet.

Last year there was talk about Bambino's location being rebuilt, there's only been some cleanup going on at that location, and very slowly at that.  This fuel stop would have been key to riding to Longlac, as the only other fuel alternative is Klotz Lake, which isn't confirmed yet.  

• 5 weeks later...

[I may have asked this in some other thread at one point?]

So, Mooseland is in rubble?

What happened to it?

Yet another mysterious fire in the middle of the night when no-one was around, like so many other insured and failing businesses up through that way?

12 hours ago, Ox said:

[I may have asked this in some other thread at one point?]

So, Mooseland is in rubble?

What happened to it?

Yet another mysterious fire in the middle of the night when no-one was around, like so many other insured and failing businesses up through that way?

Just closed, left for dead.  Dismantled, most of the rubble is gone now.  A bit left still, but nothing new being developed.

While working out at the club here on the weekend on a couple of projects I was told that a not insignificant amount of money was spent brushing and otherwise prepping the Longlac trail this summer.  I am going to assume (although we all know what that means) that the plan is to open it.  

5 hours ago, matt17 said:

I am going to assume (although we all know what that means) that the plan is to open it.  

I heard similarly.  (not for the brushing though).  They have full intention to open the trail again.

Has anyone done this run lately ?  What was the mileage fuel-to-fuel between Hearst and Longlac ?

from our last trip up there in 06, from my written mileage log.  

all in miles, not km's:

hearst to bambinos  55 miles,

bambinos to klotz lake camp 70 miles (unsure if they will be open for fuel for winter)  

klotz lake camp to longlac pumps 37 miles

longlac to geraldton 25 miles (have to go A LOOOOOONG WAY, across long lake, slushy, and scarey as hell. :D Ski

260-ish kilometers ... yikes, that's a scary proposition, even for a modern sled that sips fuel.

So take away 47km if you fuel up in Calstock you get about 210.  Need a 5 gallon of gas to make it one way, then another 5 to make it back.  Yeah, doable.  We ride Hearst to Hornepayne which is about 160 km, and have 8 to 10 liters left, which should give us about 200km.  So one can of gas per sled makes the distance.  (I got 210 km last year on my last ride late March on 32L of gas under extraordinary conditions and riding alone, so always at cruising speed.)

Yup, so if they groom it, I'll ride it.  I can strap 2 cans of gas to my running boards and we can do it the 2 of us.  Wouldn't be a problem if Bambino's was open though, you could do it easy without hauling fuel.

Just gotta see if they actually do groom it, and more than once .......

13 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I can strap 2 cans of gas to my running boards and we can do it the 2 of us. 

2016-11-20 13.28.07.jpg

55 minutes ago, Blake G said:

2016-11-20 13.28.07.jpg

Where does the rider sit?

Archived