Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

nice Dan! did you go in through Frater? heading up for xmas and new years weekends. Ski

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we did Ski.  Good to hear from you.  Great trip and plenty of snow.  Anywhere from 12" to 22" of snowdepth.  Here's a video

great video, and music as always. have fun, stay safe out there. keep updating us on your rides. Ski

Hi Dan,

Lots of snow.  Great video like so many you have posted.  I bet Sean was really happy to see you guys.

I noticed that the sled cutout above the gas hut is finally gone.  It was leaning farther forward last season.

I hope to get through Halfway in the next few weeks, but this starts me planning a trip to run all the way up to visit ski in Dub.

Scott 

Thanks for sharing, Dan!

what we should do is organize a forum "ride in" everyone meet at halfway haven, for an overnight stay and visit. we can have everyone ride in from all directions of the compass, meeting at the central location that is halfway haven. in the morning, we all go our separate directions, to continue, or end or riding. Ski

looking forward to ride Elliot lk to doobieville again this yr too.glad their getting the snow too

13 hours ago, white dragon said:

looking forward to ride Elliot lk to doobieville again this yr too.glad their getting the snow too

Keep me in mind, I would be into that ride with you guys for sure, Halfway Haven is a place I really want to go see.

24 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Keep me in mind, I would be into that ride with you guys for sure, Halfway Haven is a place I really want to go see.

I'm game too. 

I updated the Sault Trailblazers Website this morning to include the latest photos from weekend riding.  There appears to be some significant accumulation in the forecast over the next several days for Sault and area.

http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com

trailblazers dec 13th.jpg

11 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

I updated the Sault Trailblazers Website this morning to include the latest photos from weekend riding.  There appears to be some significant accumulation in the forecast over the next several days for Sault and area.

http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com

trailblazers dec 13th.jpg

wow that would get trails ready for grooming...hope it happens

How far are these trails away from being ready?  I was hoping to run up on Dec 19 for a 3 day trip. 

Not sure when packing / grooming will start, however, If I hear any updates, I'll post them here.  

As of Wednesday morning, December 14, north of Sault Ste. Marie and East of Lake Superior now has the most snowdepth in Ontario. Lake Effect snow continues to dump significant accumulations in the northern part of the Club's riding area. 

breaking_news_animated.gif

the wawa club is looking for volunteers to pack trails with sleds, due to significant snow depth. might get lucky, and the trails might be at least packed, and passable for xmas, boxing day, new years week, pending volunteer family/work commitments, and break downs. thank you, to all the hardworking club volunteers. Ski

UPDATE #2:  Thursday Dec. 15th - Just How bad did the Sault get hit?    The link directly below provides some idea.  The comments section add another slew of cancellations.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/snow-day-heres-whats-closed-or-cancelled-updated-645-am-489811

UPDATE #1:  More Photos added at 3:35 p.m on Wednesday. See Below

Sault Ste. Marie and northward to get hit with possible record-breaking snow amounts.  Just as they predicted, above average temperature of Lake Superior in combination with the westerly and North-Westerly winds.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/squalls-could-be-about-to-bring-record-breaking-snow-488668

rs.jpg

sh.jpg

ch.jpg

Sault Trailblazers Updates.

Quote from the Club President yesterday "Calling all Groomers".

ssmblazers.jpg

On 2016-12-14 at 8:23 AM, mgooding said:

How far are these trails away from being ready?  I was hoping to run up on Dec 19 for a 3 day trip. 

*** UPDATE 11:00 a.m. *** The Club President updated the Trail Status of the Club website showing the link from Sault Ste. Marie to Goulais as Available (Green).  More to come.

Our day of snowmobiling in Searchmont Ontario today.  Plenty of snow and sleds

All this snow is bringing back some interesting memories of slushy lakes.  Here's one of our sled rescues using vintage sleds.  What a day this one was.  An absolute pleasure to hang out with with some vintage riders.  Incredible wisdom and tremendously nice people.

Great video Dan , brings back lot of memories seeing those old sleds. And no i don't miss chopping the ice to get the frozen sled out. Been there done that a couple of times, no fun. ray

as always great little vid...thx for sharing dan

My friend Travis, who lives in Searchmont, put together a 3 year comparison of snow depth for December 21st.  What a banner year for snow.

searchmont.jpg

Went to camp today at Big Basswood Lake west of Iron Bridge.  Certainly a good start to the winter.  

camp1.jpg

camp2.jpg

camp3.jpg

camp4.jpg

Merry Christmas, to you and yours Dan. we are heading to dubreuil, tomorrow morning until Monday afternoon. looking forward to a white Christmas at the house. hopefully a nice break in ride for the new motor. Ski

Due to mild weather, at the request of the Club President, I downgraded http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com  website to "Limited".  We are not immune to the warm weather up here either.  The good news is we have a decent snowbase. 

Dan

Sault Ste. Marie

P.S.  Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas Ski.

Archived