Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

Water Tower Inn Webcam in the Sault.  A view from the top of the Water Tank.  Hats-off to the person who went to the top to install the cam.

http://www.local2.ca/webcams/water-tower-inn-southwest-86778

sad to say but that looks just like Toronto does this morning

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

big reg just sent pics to me bub has 6 inches of fresh on the ground this morning, and still snowing hard. might be riding in may, if this keeps up. Ski

• 7 months later...

Sault Trailblazers President indicated that Heyden should have Fuel this winter. This was brought up this past meeting.  I drove by Heyden this past Wednesday and sure enough, 3 brand new above ground tanks onsite.

Cross our fingers.

Sault Trailblazers Website updated today.  Shows the Club in action.

http://www.ssmtrailblazers.com

ssmtrailblazers.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Trailblazers President indicated that Heyden should have Fuel this winter. This was brought up this past meeting.  I drove by Heyden this past Wednesday and sure enough, 3 brand new above ground tanks onsite.

Cross our fingers.

This would great news !!!

tanks have been there for over a year, onsite. I do hope they get them up and running. wont really affect sledding in the area, still would be hard pressed to  make it from heyden to halfway haven, without fuel in searchmont. from searchmont to halfway via trail is about 90 miles (miles, not km's). Ski

On November 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM, skidooboy said:

tanks have been there for over a year, onsite. I do hope they get them up and running. wont really affect sledding in the area, still would be hard pressed to  make it from heyden to halfway haven, without fuel in searchmont. from searchmont to halfway via trail is about 90 miles (miles, not km's). Ski

When we were up on the guys trip at the end of Feb it sure looked like the tanks were pretty new/ reconditioned. Hoping this season they have fuel, as it would be easier to fill up vs the station on the highway.

As mentioned, we can only hope of fuel in Searchmont!!! 

TY to all that make the awesome trails possible!!!!

yes, the tanks are very new but, they have been there since last fall. you would think if someone was going to get them going, they would try to do it, when it was warm and dry. to avoid working outside in the elements through the colder wet late fall, winter, to try to get them up and running for this winter driving, sledding season.

I am sure, Dan, will keep us posted. I drive by there a few times a month, if I see some progress, I will post up as well. good luck to all of us.

Ski

I wonder if they are waiting on TSSA and sign off on the install.

Here's a photo I snapped a few days ago of the Heyden Gas Station.  Just not sure what to make of the progress.  As Ski indicated, these tanks have been sitting there for awhile, however, they are new installs from last year.  

heyden.jpg

I went to page 1 of this thread because I recalled some November riding. 

"Those were the days". Way to go, Dan and thanks for SSM area updates.

Well your not going to fight d snow anywhere in November this year.

No riding  november 13 this year Dan?

On 11/10/2016 at 8:44 AM, Dan-Senior said:

Here's a photo I snapped a few days ago of the Heyden Gas Station.  Just not sure what to make of the progress.  As Ski indicated, these tanks have been sitting there for awhile, however, they are new installs from last year.  

heyden.jpg

I was by there in July & the tanks were there but the place looked vacant. I posted in another thread about this @ the time. Someone responded by saying nothing was going on.

I see that the D100 shows open all the way through to Echo Bay which would be another way to go east and the Hayden gas station "if open" would help with that route.  D Trail to D-100 to D-107 to D-106 to F Trail.  OR  From D-100 to D-107 to D-136 to D Trail.

This would still open up another way to get east or west to or from SSM.

Hope conditions are good and this route can be re-opened for the first time in years.

Damn, don't tease like that with the words "shows open" when referring to a trail. Especially when some places have 30 - 40 cm snow in the forecast. It gets the heart pumping and excitement level up.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Damn, don't tease like that with the words "shows open" when referring to a trail. Especially when some places have 30 - 40 cm snow in the forecast. It gets the heart pumping and excitement level up.

Sorry,

It shows that the Trail D-100 will actually exist as a connecting trail this season for the first time in many years.  it went to the golf course last year, but did not continue.  Showed a dead end last season.

Figured all would know that there is no snow at this point, but wait a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

At the request of the Club President late last season, I prepared the TrackLog from Silver Creek Golf Course to Echo Bay.  Glad to see it made it on the OFSC Viewer.

North of Iron Bridge Today.  I attempted to get one last go at metal detecting before wrapping up the season.   I think its time to put away the detector and fire up the old sled.  Have visited more than 20 old lumbers camps this summer.  Pretty exciting year. 

6.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Pretty good metal detector, you found a backpack with it .... in good shape too ... 

It picked up on the plastic zippers :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Through a series of logging roads, we worked our way into Halfway Haven yesterday.  It was great to see Sean and enjoy his wonderful hospitality.  Trails are not open.  Sunday is the best day to ride the active logging areas

SAM_3098.JPG

SAM_3100.JPG

SAM_3102.JPG

SAM_3105.JPG

Archived