Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

That sux!!!! TY for the heads up!!!!

We usually take a trip over to Hayden, up to G.R., over to Searchmont, and back down 5. That really puts a damper on things!!! Can only go toward Iron Bridge or Black Creek so many times in a long w/e!!!

Buddy and Inwere heading up early (Thu evening) and planned a ride up tonSearchmont. Now what to do....

TY again!!!

That does suck!  We were hoping to ride the SSM5 on Sunday.  Does anyone know if it might open by then? 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SSM5 may re-open later in the week. They want to fix it for the Snowarama on Saturday. Keep watching the Interactive Guide.

SSM5 may re-open later in the week. They want to fix it for the Snowarama on Saturday. Keep watching the Interactive Guide.

Well.... If we can't have gas in Searchmont, I hope we at least get SSM5 open! Lol

Hoping all goes well and a huge TY to who ever is doing the work!!!

Any updates on the SSM5 opening?

Also, about how many riders usually participate in the Snowarama on Sat? Also, where do the riders have lunch?

It seems we usually take the Hayden, G.R., Searchmont loop on our first day riding. May take an alternative route if there is a lot. Usually stop at the ski lodge for a break.

TY!!!

Any updates on the SSM5 opening?

Also, about how many riders usually participate in the Snowarama on Sat? Also, where do the riders have lunch?

It seems we usually take the Hayden, G.R., Searchmont loop on our first day riding. May take an alternative route if there is a lot. Usually stop at the ski lodge for a break.

TY!!

Zrtkat & Crew came down the D trail from searchmont to GR wednesday eve  trails are thin and around the Zone roads are bare,I would avoid that area until they get snow ,we made it to our hotel in the soo at the ambassador but trails where showing dirt,

Zrtkat & Crew came down the D trail from searchmont to GR wednesday eve trails are thin and around the Zone roads are bare,I would avoid that area until they get snow ,we made it to our hotel in the soo at the ambassador but trails where showing dirt,

TY for the heads up!!! On our way up now. Almost to the Mighty Mac. About 3hrs to go to get to the cabin weather permitting.....

Once we cross into Ontario won't have any internet....

TY again!!!

Just got back last night from our trip. Had a great time!!!

Buddy and I got into the cabin late Thu night. Fri rode up to SSM5 to find the bridge was opened up!!! TY again to all who made that possible!!!

Dan,

Who was the gentleman placing signs for the Snowarama? Talked to him for a few right at the bridge.

Rode just about 600miles total, Fri-Tue. Snow conditions turned out to be pretty decent overall. Lots of loose snow, blowing and drifting last few days. But we were riding!!! Lol

TY to all for good trails!!!

Safe riding!!!

For rider safety, Sault Trailblazers closed all trails as of 12:00 noon today.  

The OFSC viewer should change before the day's out.

I updated the website at 12 noon on the orders from the Club President.  

We never did receive as much snow this winter as compared to Elliot Lake or Sudbury. 

According to the TV News Channel, this has been the 3rd mildest winter on record for Sault Ste. Marie.

See you next year.

Dan-Senior

Thank you for all the information provided.

Until next year ....

The OFSC viewer should change before the day's out.

We never did receive as much snow this winter as compared to Elliot Lake or Sudbury. 

According to the TV News Channel, this has been the 3rd mildest winter on record for Sault Ste. Marie.

See you next year.

Dan-Senior

Thanks Dan-Senior for all your help with information in your area

Have a great summer

Greg

Thanks Dan Senior, this was the lowest miles I put on my sled in years.  Always enjoyed your post and videos as we ride in the same areas. Have a great summer see you next season. Cheers!

The OFSC viewer should change before the

day's out.

See you next year.

Dan-Senior

Even trails around Spanish and espanola out to iron bridge and Bruce mines were thin near highway 17. Go straight north and snow levels doubled. Weird for sure. See you next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday's snow has given our region another opportunity to ride.  We are hitting the logging roads north of Sault Ste. Marie, this morning.

post-22452-0-50432200-1458906931_thumb.jpg

A few photos of our ride north of Sault Ste. Marie today.  

We stopped for lunch on Spruce Lake, then ran the Quintet Lakes route.  To wrap up the afternoon, we detoured into Meenach Lake. Seen 7 other sledders and a few fisherwomen.  Yes, 2 nice ladies fishing all by themselves on one of the lakes.

Temperature was -8 when we started in the morning and it was +4 by the time we arrived back at the trucks.

post-22452-0-94977300-1458945228_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-07430100-1458945241_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-59947600-1458945255_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-55173800-1458945281_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-54243200-1458945333_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-33405900-1458945464_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-87153000-1458945476_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-36712700-1458945487_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-09342700-1458945498_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-14314300-1458945511_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-44737000-1458945523_thumb.jpg

Incredible! The pics reflect 'spring' snowmobiling.

Love the Sault Ste Marie topography. Ridges, hills, rivers and lakes.

Here's one of several water crossings we encountered yesterday.  As we continued down the logging road, we came to a 2nd crossing and due to rapid flow, a good sized boulder in the middle and a steep bank on the other side, we turned around.

https://youtu.be/-IgczdZ43BE

now that's spring sledding

Some video footage I took north of Sault Ste. Marie on Friday.  Spruce, Quintet and Meenach Lakes.  1 minute video summary.

https://youtu.be/ooLFIsys5CI

Great end of season video.

Dan, this has been an excellent thread right from the start.

Thanks Blake.  Hope you had an enjoyable season of snowmobilng.  I always look forward to reading your posts and seeing your photos, as they are so positive and an inspiration to all of us.

This Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven Thread has had significant importance this year, especially with the re-opening of Halfway Haven, providing riders with news on trails and conditions.

My Top 7 Videos in a 'PlayList' summarizing our Snowmobile Adventures in Sault Ste. Marie / Algoma Region this past winter.

This was a 125 day Season:  (34% of the year)  Started November 22nd, finished on March 25th

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-444m_KUqcglim-42d_TVEvu3wdi9uGj

Fresh Snow north of the Sault overnight.  A couple of photos from my friends Travis and Marko.  Perfect timing for the Snowboarding Event at Searchmont this weekend.

High elevation points north of Searchmont and Batchawana are still rideable.  It looks like we may tackle one more sled run in the mountains.

Photo #1 - Searchmont Highway

Photo #2 - (Right Clockwise) - Northland Lake

Photo #3 - (Bottom) - Searchmont Ski Resort

post-22452-0-33845000-1459526917_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-00796900-1459526930_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-07764200-1459526937_thumb.jpg

Water Tower Inn Webcam in the Sault.  A view from the top of the Water Tank.  Hats-off to the person who went to the top to install the cam.

http://www.local2.ca/webcams/water-tower-inn-southwest-86778

link not working dan...

Thanks for the heads-up White Dragon.  Same here, the link appears to be hit-and-miss.

Try copying this into a WebBrowser.

Local2.ca is one of our local News Media outlets and they have a section within the website for webcams.  Hope this one works.

http://www.local2.ca/webcams/water-tower-inn-southwest-86778

Archived