Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

good morning :coffeenose: . there was talk about a gas station reopening in Searchmont did it happen ? There is 4 of us staying at a cottage there, or should we bring some gas cans. We will be heading to Halfway for a day trip, read to call first for gas there. Thanks to all, great reading here      :cheers:

no gas in searchmont as of yet

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90 miles from Searchmont to Halfway Haven.  Hope this helps in your planning.  

On another note, its 78 miles from Searchmont to Aubrey Falls IF you take the Ranger Lake road between the Domtar and highway 129.  If you take the Mashagama route, it is 95 miles.  

Does anyone know of a place to park truck and trailers in Searchmont?

I like to drive up Whitman Dam Road a bit and park at the Driftwood Lodge. You can spend the night if you have reservations.

Call them @ 705-781-3128. Carl or his Wife will answer if the machine doesn't get it. Like $15 or $20 to leave everything parked there for a trip. Someone is around so they keep an eye on stuff.

Bring gas to leave if you want to return and then go in another direction. No gas in Searchmont that I know of. Lots of directions to go.

AC+YA, on 28 Jan 2016 - 1:51 PM, said:

I like to drive up Whitman Dam Road a bit and park at the Driftwood Lodge. You can spend the night if you have reservations.

Call them @ 705-781-3128. Carl or his Wife will answer if the machine doesn't get it. Like $15 or $20 to leave everything parked there for a trip. Someone is around so they keep an eye on stuff.

Interesting, might give that a try.  Are the rates reasonable?

Rumours were swirling at last night's Snowmobile Club meeting about Searchmont Trading Post waiting for TSSA approval of the Pump and Tank.  Not sure how reliable the information is, but I have also heard the same from people who live in Searchmont.  There was no mention of a timeline as to the approval process.

• 2 weeks later...

200 kms (125 miles) between the Goulais River (Pineshores Road) Gas Station and Halfway Haven. No fuel in Searchmont this year.

Thx for the info. We're trying to sled from Sault Ste. Marie to D'Ville in one day. Goulais River is an option both as a fuel stop or possible starting point.

Is SSM to D'Ville in one day possible? I ran Wawa to SSM without issues (but fueled up in Searchmont back in the day).

if you are trailering to the soo, maybe trailer to searchmont and start there (as stated above, you can safely park trucks, trailers at the driftwood. we have rode easily from the soo to wawa. in great conditions, dub can be made, but... add in weather, rough, or too much snow, brush on the trail, sled problems, illness, or rider issues, soo to dub will be A LOOOOONG DAY.

Goulais to searchmont is 30-35 MILES (if I am not mistaken, ac/ya will know for sure), then searchmont to halfway haven is 90 MILES. so even getting fuel in Goulais, you have to run 120-125 MILES (or more if you miss a turn) to get to halfway. plann accordingly. Ski

It's part of a trip. Snowmobiling to SSM from Elliot Lake. Then SSM north to D'ville. End of Feb ride.

Thx Ski.

Check with Londoncalling.  He had a trip planned for this past weekend Elliott Lake to Dub and back.  Although he planned to bypass the Sault and planned on going straight to dub the first day then stayed at Halfway on the way back.  Haven't heard how the trip went yet.  

It's part of a trip. Snowmobiling to SSM from Elliot Lake. Then SSM north to D'ville. End of Feb ride.

Thx Ski.

few of us want to ride Elliot lk to d'ville end of feb... could get too busy

Canuck,

AC+YA has done Sault to Dub many times. He's a wealth of knowledge of those trails and probably knows where every corner and bump is along the route. I"m sure he will have some solid advice for you.

Dan

Rumours were swirling at last night's Snowmobile Club meeting about Searchmont Trading Post waiting for TSSA approval of the Pump and Tank.  Not sure how reliable the information is, but I have also heard the same from people who live in Searchmont.  There was no mention of a timeline as to the approval process.

Dan,

IF ice conditions allow we will be heading up late next week for our annual guys trip. If you or anyone else can confirm of gas in Searchmont please let us know. I understand it's a long shot for it to happen by next week, but.... We can only hope! Lol

If we were to run Ranger Lake Rd between Domtar and 129 from Aubrey to Searchmont, how are the snow conditions along the road side? Not sure if the others would want to try that trip thought because it is still abotu 40 miles back to the cabin from Searchmont... But worth a try.

Any ideas of ice conditions near the cabin by chance? Bass Lk, Carpenter Lk, etc?

Hopefully we will be up there soon!!!

TY!!!

Ranger Lake Rd. Has been good between Domtar and the bridge, but a warmup is coming?

I can run from SSM to the Zone on hyw17 in GR for gas and then to Halfway Haven which is 135 miles. If you can't make that you need to carry gas or just start in Searchmont. The trail is hard to miss now.

We took the Magpie to Dub. a couple weeks back and it was slush, but it may be fine now?

I often run a trail which was actually marked for Snow Down and runs straight to Hawk Junction making it 100 miles straight to Dub from Halfway.

We can go from Searchmont to Dub in 4.5 hours plus stops.

Warning about this trail - includes riding across a little but open stream.

Easy day from Searchmont to Dub.

Just add an hour for taking trail through Wawa and also get gas in Wawa.

If you don't know the area please stay on main trail and fill with gas in Wawa.

John B., President of the Sault Trailblazers, took this photo today in Heyden and posted it on his Facebook page.   The closed down Gas Station appears to be coming back to life.  Those are new tanks.

Someone else put a comment and indicated the Searchmont Trading Post was just sold and are now waiting to hear about new ownership.

Any updates on if the station has opened or not?

Heading up Thu evening weather permitting, or Fri morning.

TY!!!

No change as far as I know.

Leave from Searchmont to avoid gas issues or take extra with if needed.

Closest gas is on Hwy 17 at the Goulias River by the zone.

Read post above.

We have a camp near the Bass Lk/ Carpenter Lk area. We do have gas to fill up when we return each evening, but just wondered about the trail side gas.

We can only hope Hayden and Searchmont have gas in the future!!!

TY!!!

Call Carl at Driftwood he may be able to arrange for gas in Searchmont.  The revival of the north is imminent; there will be gas in Searchmont in the future...

Call Carl at Driftwood he may be able to arrange for gas in Searchmont.  The revival of the north is imminent; there will be gas in Searchmont in the future...

TY!!!

How is the ice to get over to St Joseph Island? Ice permitting that is usually part of a route one of the days.

TY!!!

I was in Thessalon on Sunday and took a look at the ice on Lake Huron's north channel.  It looked scary.  Not sure if anyone has gone across from Bruce to Hilton yet.  Definitely not from Thessalon to Bruce for sure.

I went to the NOAA website today and it indicates total ice coverage of the Great Lakes is 12.6% this year.  It was approximately 90% last year.  Quite a contrast.

I too have been watching to see if the Bruce to Hilton route is officially or unofficially open.  Have not heard anything as of yet.

TY Dan!!!

Sounds like we won't be stopping over on the island this year. Bummer, but at least we do have a trip this year!!!

Maybe see you guys on the trail this w/e!!!

Safe riding everyone!!!

TY Dan!!!

Sounds like we won't be stopping over on the island this year. Bummer, but at least we do have a trip this year!!!

Maybe see you guys on the trail this w/e!!!

Safe riding everyone!!!

Please note the SSM5 Trail is closed so if you come from the south you need to go all the way to Heyden and north to get around. I guess bridge work?

The Zone has the next gas in Goulias River on 17.

That sux!!!! TY for the heads up!!!!

We usually take a trip over to Hayden, up to G.R., over to Searchmont, and back down 5. That really puts a damper on things!!! Can only go toward Iron Bridge or Black Creek so many times in a long w/e!!!

Buddy and Inwere heading up early (Thu evening) and planned a ride up tonSearchmont. Now what to do....

TY again!!!

Archived