Sault / Searchmont / Halfway Haven

Dan-Senior

Directly from our Groomer Coordinator at this week's Sault Trailblazers meeting.

"Big Blue has brakes and is almost ready to go (flatbed) to Searchmont for its run to Halfway Haven this fall"

Dan

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schwing!

Way to go, group.

Glad to hear this. 

Awesome!  Thank to everyone who helped make this possible!  We'll be cruisin' through end of February! 

200 kms (125 miles) between the Goulais River (Pineshores Road) Gas Station and Halfway Haven.  No fuel in Searchmont this year.

30 days to go.

Traditional November Riding north of Searchmont.  The annual first ride of the Season.  Climbing in elevation starting at km 28 north of Searchmont Ontario on the Whitman Dam Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tRrJQA-swY

Sault Trailblazers Club Meeting #3 - Wednesday Nov. 11th, 7 p.m. at Wacky Wings (Great Northern Location), Downstairs Bar.  All Welcome.  Open to the Public.

post-22452-0-12700900-1446081451_thumb.jpg

John B., President of the Sault Trailblazers, took this photo today in Heyden and posted it on his Facebook page.   The closed down Gas Station appears to be coming back to life.  Those are new tanks.

Someone else put a comment and indicated the Searchmont Trading Post was just sold and are now waiting to hear about new ownership.

post-22452-0-30664600-1446248358_thumb.jpg

Good news on both fronts!

Great news but my sled doesn't take diesel like the yammies doo! I couldn't resist. Great news hope they are busy this season and get an early start. Xmas break would be awesome.

John B., President of the Sault Trailblazers, took this photo today in Heyden and posted it on his Facebook page.   The closed down Gas Station appears to be coming back to life.  Those are new tanks.

Someone else put a comment and indicated the Searchmont Trading Post was just sold and are now waiting to hear about new ownership.

That's some great new,  we would be able to top up before heading to Halfway Haven in Heyden.   Sure hope they get that Gas going in Searchmont.

Great news Dan thanks for the update.

Actually, Searchmont is very close to the halfway point of the Trans Canada Highway.  It used to be marked near Heyden. (might still be marked,but I haven't been through there for a number of years.)

Heyden would be about 8 - 9 hours from Toronto, depending on speed.  Searchmont might be about another 30 - 45 minutes depending on road conditions.  Again, I haven't been to Searchmont since I left the Sault in '74.

Actually, Searchmont is very close to the halfway point of the Trans Canada Highway.  It used to be marked near Heyden. (might still be marked,but I haven't been through there for a number of years.)

Heyden would be about 8 - 9 hours from Toronto, depending on speed.  Searchmont might be about another 30 - 45 minutes depending on road conditions.  Again, I haven't been to Searchmont since I left the Sault in '74.

Actually i think chippawa falls is the center of ontario and searchmont  is not that far from there as the crow flies.

holy smokes, i just google searchmont and it's almost to the end of onatario. how many hrs drive is it from toronto?

So when we going!

Sault Trailblazers Club Meeting #3 - Wednesday Nov. 11th, 7 p.m. at Wacky Wings (Great Northern Location), Downstairs Bar.  All Welcome.  Open to the Public.

I just may sit in on this, I'll be in the soo working that week

I can verify the pic Dan posted. I was going to post about this as well,  I saw it on sunday on my way home from dub, driving through heyden. this will help but, it would be better to have fuel in searchmont for touring people. small steps... things are going in the right direction. Ski

• 2 weeks later...

SNOW - Searchmont and Heyden today.  A sign that winter is not too far off.

Visit www.ssmtrailblazers.com or www.oursearchmont.com for live images

post-22452-0-19393200-1447439193_thumb.jpg

post-22452-0-00209200-1447439207_thumb.jpg

I posted this on the Sault Trailblazers website today.  I have been a November early-season sledder for years and see the same pattern over and over again in higher elevations during Novembers, so I decided to post it and let the cat out of the bag. Although there will likely not be enough snow this weekend to ride, at least it's a start.

Rain turning to snow north of Sault Ste. Marie this afternoon.  Higher elevations inland north of Searchmont, including 

Ogidaki Mountain and Saddle Lake are typically 4 degrees Celsius cooler than the city of Sault Ste. Marie.  Snow will be 

accumulating inland starting later today in higher elevations.  This will continue into Saturday.  The 1st unofficial riding 

areas of the season typically include Mile 38 at Batchawana Station, Robertson Lake Bluffs, Ogidaki Mountain and Saddle Lake, 

with Saddle Lake usually having the most snow.  Typical snowfall hits the ground between November 18th and 28th allowing for 

riding in higher elevations with back-up sleds. Don't be deceived by green grass in Sault Ste. Marie when temperatures are at 

or above freezing, because if its raining in the city, its likely snowing north of the Searchmont.

Dan-Senior

Sweet!!!

Archived