Estaire and West

AkronOrange

Is there/ has there ever been a trail from Estaire over toward "C" trail so we can head west without heading back toward Nipissing?  Don't judge me; it's what I do this time of year!

On the IAFG, the C trail is marked as "Unreported" status, but if you switch to trail network view, it shows up.  I 'think' that is still the active trail as it is the main route to the bridges from Sudbury.  Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable from the area can chime in.

On the ofsc interactive map it looks like the C trail goes right to Estaire then it turns to a grey line which is shown as meaning "not reported". I believe that this grey line is the C trail. If not, it appears the C trail just stops at Estaire. Maybe Rich from The Owl's Nest could chip in here.

I have been told the bridges will be closed this year................permanently!  True dat???

Where did you hear that,   some construction issues to deal with around the key river area but that's it.  Bridges will be open as far as I know

It was discussed at the Almaguin board meeting last night, and I thought it came from NNTA.  Something about $500,000 in maintenance that no one has funds to carry out.

But if you're not aware, it must be  one of those stories that 'they say' but no one knows the origin.

All of you continue to be so helpful.  That's the very best thing about being here.  Please post updates as they become available, I would like to start our trip in Parry sound again this year but could adjust to a North Bay start if needed.  I do prefer North Bay at the end of trip rather than at the beginning; North Bay has proven to be rather expensive from time to time!  

All of you continue to be so helpful.  That's the very best thing about being here.  Please post updates as they become available, I would like to start our trip in Parry sound again this year but could adjust to a North Bay start if needed.  I do prefer North Bay at the end of trip rather than at the beginning; North Bay has proven to be rather expensive from time to time!

You'll be OK now, the Moe Z is closed

Just my 2 cents....the ride from Parry Sound to Suds gets mighty boring after your past the bridges.

Did a saddlebagger from PS to Suds last year, and that C trail was one long ride!

Next time, we'll trailer to Suds and launch from there.  

Just my 2 cents....the ride from Parry Sound to Suds gets mighty boring after your past the bridges.

Did a saddlebagger from PS to Suds last year, and that C trail was one long ride!

snowmobiling can be boring?

What would you like to see, we might be able to reroute it to fit your trip?  Was it groomed, signed, sorry its not up to your standards, most love that trail,

I wondered if that post would be taken out of context after I posted??  Sorry gang. 

Maybe "boring" was the wrong word to use here.  I just found that after we got past the bridges, the trail seemed to just not be my kind of riding.  

That's why I said "my 2 cents".  (Everyone is entitled to an opinion)   

Knowing that Akron Orange likes to ride open and fast Northern trails (as do I), I just wanted him to know what he was in for if he headed that way.  That stretch is a long, windy, tight stretch of trail. 

Again....strictly my opinion.....it was a just very "long ride" for me from the French River Bridge to Suds. 

And to answer Wild Bill and Owls Nest..... Sledding is not boring.  I simply found that stretch of trail boring.  It was groomed fine and signage was good.  

snowmobiling can be boring?

Try atving! Went 10 kms in 1.5 hours today! Had to winch out of a big mudhole. Nothing like going for a swim to hook up the winch! No I appreciate how nice our snowmobile trails are. Hope the big ruts and deep holes from atv's aren't too hard to fix.

Try atving! Went 10 kms in 1.5 hours today! Had to winch out of a big mudhole. Nothing like going for a swim to hook up the winch! No I appreciate how nice our snowmobile trails are. Hope the big ruts and deep holes from atv's aren't too hard to fix.

Were you at the French river area, if not drop it!

Where did you hear that,   some construction issues to deal with around the key river area but that's it.  Bridges will be open as far as I know

It was discussed at the Almaguin board meeting last night, and I thought it came from NNTA.  Something about $500,000 in maintenance that no one has funds to carry out.

But if you're not aware, it must be  one of those stories that 'they say' but no one knows the origin.

I was across the French River bridge in July & from what I saw, any maintenance probably is a make work project on someone's part. Yes, there are marks in the timber decking (not 2 x 4s) but nothing that would affect the structural integrity.

The way the MNR operates, if those bridges needed work, they'd already be closed due to liability concerns.

Oh yah, so your one of those guys eh! Digging up all the snowmobile trails!....HEHE...

You'll be OK now, the Moe Z is closed

It's the other place that gets expensive.  Staying at the Travelodge is an attractive bad idea!

I wondered if that post would be taken out of context after I posted??  Sorry gang. 

Maybe "boring" was the wrong word to use here.  I just found that after we got past the bridges, the trail seemed to just not be my kind of riding.  

Knowing that Akron Orange likes to ride open and fast Northern trails (as do I), I just wanted him to know what he was in for if he headed that way.  That stretch is a long, windy, tight stretch of trail. 

Again....strictly my opinion.....it was a just very "long ride" for me from the French River Bridge to Suds. 

And to answer Wild Bill and Owls Nest..... Sledding is not boring.  I simply found that stretch of trail boring.  It was groomed fine and signage was good.  

I have enjoyed starting in Parry Sound the past 2 years.  The trails have been very well maintained.  I do enjoy the fast wide open ride so I try not to make the days too long while we're coming in and out of the Parry Sound area.  We rode from Parry Sound to Massey 2 years ago; that was much too far.  Last year I think we went to the Sportsman, that was a more reasonable distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there/ has there ever been a trail from Estaire over toward "C" trail so we can head west without heading back toward Nipissing?  Don't judge me; it's what I do this time of year!

Estaire is on the C Trail. The C trail for the last few years has come up from the French River, through Estaire and on west by way of Sudbury. The old C trail used toward Killarney and then swing south but the section between C107D (going to Killarney) and Alban no longer exists. All traffic going toward the French River bridges is now through Estaire. C107D starts about 10 km on the Sudbury side of Estaire and heads to Killarney.

Oh yah, so your one of those guys eh! Digging up all the snowmobile trails!....HEHE...

Don't worry snow will fill it back in. I only rode on approved a tv trails. Some of them are snowmobile trails too, in the winter.

Love the trails from PS all the way up, either straight nord up the center or hang west towards Killarney. And yes it can the the art of "tree dodging 101"  . So much variety. Occasionally having to deal with a moose blockade can add some excitement to things.

I'm a bit confused; wasn't this part of "C" open in the past couple of years?  I thought we rode it when we went from Parry Sound to Massey once.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a message from STP indicating that portion of trail would open as soon as conditions allow.  They didn't provide explanation about the way it appears on the OFSC site.

Archived