it's getting your food ready for snowmobiling week...!!! recipe

slomo

As you all know, getting your travelling food ready for snowmobiling season doesn't happen over night...so with that in mind, as one of several Canada's Foremost Snowmobilers on this forum, I'm declaring this week "Getting Your food Ready for Snowmobiling" week .

Generally this is for folks who stay somewhere while on a tour and take advantage of the fridge and microwaves in most motel rooms these days (or bring your own) with Meals Ready to Eat as you haven't the time to waste waiting in restaurants or you'd rather spend your money on fuel and associated sledding costs.

Declare your own week as you wish - as you are equally qualified and your spouse might not let you in the kitchen. For mine though, just want to share a recipe for Weiner Schnitzel which has been tried and tested in the Researche slomo Research laboratories. Here's the recipe with a few photos and helpful hints below:

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more for seasoning
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 cups fine plain dried breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 pound veal scaloppine or eye round, cut across the grain into 4 equal pieces
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
  • Curly parsley or lettuce
  • Special equipment: A deep-fry thermometer

Preparation

Line a large baking sheet with a double layer of paper towels. Whisk flour and 1 teaspoon salt in a wide shallow bowl. Lightly whisk eggs and cream in another wide shallow bowl until the yolks and whites are just streaky. Mix breadcrumbs and 2 teaspoons salt in a third wide shallow bowl. Pound veal slices between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/8"-1/16" thickness, being careful not to tear. Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Prop a deep-fry thermometer in a large deep skillet; pour in oil so that bulb is submerged. Heat oil over medium heat to 350°F. Add butter to skillet and adjust heat to maintain 350°F.

Dredge 2 veal slices in flour mixture; shake off excess. Dip in egg. Turn to coat; shake off excess. Dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere; shake off excess. Transfer slices to skillet. Using a large spoon, carefully baste the top of the veal with the hot oil. Cook until breading puffs and starts to brown, about 1 minute. Turn and cook until browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to paper towel-lined sheet. Repeat with remaining veal slices.

Divide veal among plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley or lettuce.

(web site - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/wiener-schnitzel-368942)

First off, you'll want to get your roofing hammer back from the neighbour that borrowed it and lay out all your ingredients as specified in the recipe....

post-19713-0-95072500-1442158478_thumb.j

post-19713-0-64604200-1442158486_thumb.j

Something that might not immediately occur to you is to have the thickness of your meat consistent so that each piece is evenly cooked and the batter isn't burnt. On this particular run, we are doing veal weiner schnitzel, chicken schnitzel and pork schnitzel (also known as pork cutlet like you find at the Ahmic Lake Resort)

post-19713-0-56043600-1442158496_thumb.j

Adding butter to your oil is another tip that really make a difference in taste....

post-19713-0-46918500-1442158508_thumb.j

From experience, I would recommend doing the dipping and breading of your pieces all at once rather than just before going in the pan - your fingers will end up being twice as long as usual due to batter accumulation during the initial coating ....

post-19713-0-27158900-1442158520_thumb.j

Make sure the proper safety procedures are followed - is your fire extinguisher that you haven't looked at in months still " ïn the green"?

post-19713-0-57581400-1442158531_thumb.j

Once oil has reached temperature, start your cooking. Be sure to baste the upper part with oil using a wide spoon. About a minute works well on one side...

post-19713-0-77997200-1442158544_thumb.j

and the same on the other...

post-19713-0-62217800-1442158554_thumb.j

Other types of meat will take a little longer to cook - about 1 minute 45 for chicken and maybe 1 minute 30 for pork....

post-19713-0-83748000-1442158564_thumb.j

The assembly line continues....

post-19713-0-01043800-1442158574_thumb.j

Checking on the baked beans which will be 'packaged' with the pork cutlets later...

post-19713-0-63664600-1442158582_thumb.j

Letting your weiner schnitzel cool well before freezing will allow it to still be crispy later when you defrost to enjoy....

post-19713-0-39498700-1442158591_thumb.j

Put together in plastic containers with a bit of pasta and some red sauce, you've got a great tasty meal.

*just a tip about veal purchasing - you can often get veal leg pieces quite inexpensively or sometimes marked down in the 'dead meat' bin (approaching its best before date) at your local food store - these work just as well as the fancy stuff specified in the recipe.

By some fluke I just happen to have those very ingredients on hand, sans heavy cream. I may give the recipe a whirl using a bit of plain yogurt.

BTW, when's the last time Ned Nickerson posted a five star recipe or published a chart-topping single? (In actuality, I quite enjoy Ned's writings and consider them a valuable contribution to the sport of snowmobiling. But maybe not quite as valuable as the ramblings of certain OC'ers.)

By some fluke I just happen to have those very ingredients on hand, sans heavy cream. I may give the recipe a whirl using a bit of plain yogurt.

BTW, when's the last time Ned Nickerson posted a five star recipe or published a chart-topping single? (In actuality, I quite enjoy Ned's writings and consider them a valuable contribution to the sport of snowmobiling. But maybe not quite as valuable as the ramblings of certain OC'ers.)

nitwits opinions are sponsored and for sale . Slomo is not for sale his opinions are truly his 

nitwits opinions are sponsored and for sale . Slomo is not for sale his opinions are truly his 

x2. And his advice is freely given.

I vote for slomo catering to open up with meals delivered trail side.

Regular coffee cream - 5% or 10% - also works fine.

As per Ned - well, it's just if he would do his job - OFSC communications - and I'd consider him maybe somewhat worth the trail pass money that goes to him instead of being used on the trails. When the C trail was closed around Barrie last year, not a peep. When the club in Chapleau closed, instead of finding out the problems there and letting others know to learn from them, he was touring around district 5 or maybe it was the Sudbury area. (I remember in particular a BS review of food) Hardly a week was going by without some long time volunteer having had enough and was packing it in - to me that's a story that should be followed up upon. I learn more from this forum than I ever have by reading his magazine articles or following his sponsored travels. On his facebook site, he ends the season by complaining about the cold. As noted, the idea of any one person declaring themselves Canada's Foremost Snowmobiler (including myself :-) ) is ludicrous and laughable - consider the many varied types of riding, locales and snowmobile uses that take place in this country.

From food prep to fire out > all bases covered.  Nice to see your wife's Valentine's Day gift put to good use (roofing hammer, above)  :-P 

Regular coffee cream - 5% or 10% - also works fine.

As per Ned - well, it's just if he would do his job - OFSC communications - and I'd consider him maybe somewhat worth the trail pass money that goes to him instead of being used on the trails. When the C trail was closed around Barrie last year, not a peep. When the club in Chapleau closed, instead of finding out the problems there and letting others know to learn from them, he was touring around district 5 or maybe it was the Sudbury area. (I remember in particular a BS review of food) Hardly a week was going by without some long time volunteer having had enough and was packing it in - to me that's a story that should be followed up upon. I learn more from this forum than I ever have by reading his magazine articles or following his sponsored travels. On his facebook site, he ends the season by complaining about the cold. As noted, the idea of any one person declaring themselves Canada's Foremost Snowmobiler (including myself :-) ) is ludicrous and laughable - consider the many varied types of riding, locales and snowmobile uses that take place in this country.

well stated he is just full of s#!t

From food prep to fire out > all bases covered.  Nice to see your wife's Valentine's Day gift put to good use (roofing hammer, above)   :-P

As did the Burn Barrel I got her for Valentines last year....

post-19713-0-59959500-1442194203_thumb.j

Used cooking oil makes a pretty good flame. You do not want to dump this oil down your septic tank!

not to be used all at once

Good way to get a new home! Fire fighters would have a hard time putting that out.

Looking forward to the sequel: The Aftermath.

The carnage from the exploding Ziploc bag looking nasty. Hotel cleaning staff scattering and screaming.

post-23640-0-77558600-1442244213_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing Slomo, being Italian looks like the recipe my nonna used to use....looks really yummy...

As did the Burn Barrel I got her for Valentines last year....

attachicon.gifburn barrel.jpg

Used cooking oil makes a pretty good flame. You do not want to dump this oil down your septic tank!

You're a braver man than I am... I thought I was going risky the year my wife got hedge clippers for Christmas. But that is what she wanted

Thanks for sharing Slomo, being Italian looks like the recipe my nonna used to use....looks really yummy...

Still looking for the ultimate sauce for a veal sandwich - if you've got a good recipe, post it up!

You're a braver man than I am... I thought I was going risky the year my wife got hedge clippers for Christmas. But that is what she wanted

Now that you've got her 'down the garden path'..... head over to the Canadian Tire website, sign up for Sales Alerts, then select a few battery powered light weight whipper snapper edge trimmers....complimentary colour to the hedge clippers of course.

Slomo,

What kind of motels you staying at with all them conveniences?

Slomo,

What kind of motels you staying at with all them conveniences?

Last sledding season stayed at about 8 or 9 places - fairly modest places - all but one had a microwave and small fridge in the room. If there wasn't a microwave in the room, there was access to one. You can see my reviews in the food and accomodation forum for 2015.

post-19713-0-61576100-1442351382_thumb.j

If it snows tomorrow, the sled is ready has been ready since end of July, and now so is some travelling food!

Still looking for the ultimate sauce for a veal sandwich - if you've got a good recipe, post it up!

Now that you've got her 'down the garden path'..... head over to the Canadian Tire website, sign up for Sales Alerts, then select a few battery powered light weight whipper snapper edge trimmers....complimentary colour to the hedge clippers of course.

Here you go Slomo and company, I pulled this off the internet but it is the same recipe my mom and grandma use...I always add a little extra sugar and some crushed chili peppers or a single Jalapeno pepper to it to kick it up..The other thing to give the sauce some real nice extra flavour is to add a 3-4 Hot Italian sausages raw to the sauce when you start to simmer for the sauce at the beginning, the flavours will amazing especially when you add it to a Veal Sandwich....

Let me know if you try it and how you like it..

Homemade Italian Sauce

Prep time:  15 mins
Cook time:  3 hours
Total time:  3 hours 15 mins

Serves: 8-10

Ingredients
  • 5-6 cans of Crushed Tomatoes and about 1 can of water..
  • 7 cloves of garlic)
  • A bunch of black pepper ( probably 1 - 2 tsp)
  • 2 TBSP of Sugar
  • 2 TSBP olive oil
  • ⅓ cup of grated Parmesan Cheese

Instructions
  1. Heat the olive oil in a 5+ qt. pot over medium heat, and add the chopped or pressed garlic.
  2. Heat for one to two minutes, making sure not to burn the garlic, then add all the tomatoes, black pepper and sugar. Stirring often, bring to a low boil.
  3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours stirring often.
  4. For the first half of the simmer time, do so with the pot uncovered, then cover.
  5. Add the cheese, stir in and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or so.
  6. This will make the equivalent to 4-5 jars of sauce, and the cost is probably about half (and it tastes way better).

Archived