Lake Maintouwabing at the highest level ever...

SteveH

My dock is completely underwater and the causeway to Tait's island is one foot from being under water. I do not know what the MNR is doing with the dam...but they should take a log out. Once everything refreezes this weekend, people are going to need loads of docks. Maybe the MNR guy and the dock manufacturers are in it together? HAHA

I was at the airport the other day and the MNR helicopter was there flying the crews into the dams to adjust the water levels . They are trying but what a wallop the lakes rivers and Pointe au Baril took.

Appears things are improving water level wise...PS North Star had reports and pictures that Lorimer Lake road was flooded at Harris Lake but this has subsided. Got here in the dark so hard to get a look at everything, but my sled cover is probably in my neighbour's yard someplace....roof is nice and clean though! Going to clean chimney this weekend while there's no sledding.

You need a floating dock Steve.... :lol:

Appears things are improving water level wise...PS North Star had reports and pictures that Lorimer Lake road was flooded at Harris Lake but this has subsided. Got here in the dark so hard to get a look at everything, but my sled cover is probably in my neighbour's yard someplace....roof is nice and clean though! Going to clean chimney this weekend while there's no sledding.

You need a floating dock Steve.... :lol:

not if he gets a submarine :lol:

Just spoke with my neighbour. At my end of Lake Manitouwabing near the dam, water level was 4 or 5 feet above normal but its dropping. I believe Parry Sound Utilities is responsible for control of the Hurdville dam.

Just spoke with my neighbour. At my end of Lake Manitouwabing near the dam, water level was 4 or 5 feet above normal but its dropping. I believe Parry Sound Utilities is responsible for control of the Hurdville dam.

That is correct it is a hydro resevior lake.And they are running the Seguin river at full capacity.

My dock is completely underwater and the causeway to Tait's island is one foot from being under water. I do not know what the MNR is doing with the dam...but they should take a log out. Once everything refreezes this weekend, people are going to need loads of docks. Maybe the MNR guy and the dock manufacturers are in it together? HAHA

Lock 45 at Port Severn was wide open Thursday (all 4 chutes were churning water). Rare to see all 4 open.

He prob means a bubbler....I built a drawbridge dock a few years ago....works great. Crank it down in spring and put the boards on. Take the boards off in fall and crank it up. I use an electric drill, takes all of 5 mins..

I splurged one year and built a dock with foam filled black plastic floats....leave in all year. On a decided slant right now, but so far no punctures.

Neighbours bought one with the blue styrofoam floats on it, hauled it ashore in the fall and squirrels chewed some nice R2000 winter homes into it!

We just bought a nice three section cedar & aluminum floater dock this year, being on the Mag it's a must to pull it out every year unless you can afford a lift dock. Has wheels on it so it's not too bad to pull out, not like the old one that had legs that suctioned into the bottom of the river every year! Especially in the fall when we have had high water... brrrr he was really, really cold.

148_31d6c53985be94e0600d628662996de8

Someone on my road just sent me two images from my dock. One on Friday where the water is overtop the dock, and one on Saturday where it is 1 foot below already.

Wish I could post them but them I need to friggen upload them to a site first, which is a pain.

ICE EATER: Way way way way way way way better than a bubbler. In fact I only have it go on a few hours per night. http://www.thepowerhouseinc.com/product ... _P500.html They are expensive...but I think worth it.

I spent 30 years taking our old pole dock in and out. When it got needing replacement I went with a lift dock, did alot of it myself. Much better and much stronger , easy now to moor the boat to it with whips and never have to get in and out of the water again....lol

Someone on my road just sent me two images from my dock. One on Friday where the water is overtop the dock, and one on Saturday where it is 1 foot below already.

Wish I could post them but them I need to friggen upload them to a site first, which is a pain.

ICE EATER: Way way way way way way way better than a bubbler. In fact I only have it go on a few hours per night. http://www.thepowerhouseinc.com/product ... _P500.html They are expensive...but I think worth it.

Steve -- I was interested in your comment above re Ice Eater, as I have a "bubbler" bought from a local pump supplier, which I install every winter to protect my permanent pile dock at our place in Huntsville. I visited the Ice Eater web-site (via your link...thanks), and I'm having difficulty seeing much operational difference between the Ice Eater and my bubbler.

I have it on a timer so it only operates at night, and even in really cold weather, it still keeps the entire dock/boathouse clear of ice, with no apparent huge hydro cost penalty. It too has a stainless prop which operates on the principle of drawing warmer water up from below. It also has similar hangers in the shroud, although I had to buy my own chains and shackles separately.

When we first had the dock installed (3 winters ago), and there was about 27" of ice on the lake at the time, in about a week the bubbler had "eroded" an opening in the ice almost 50 ft. across...so there's no doubt about its effectiveness.

So, what gives?... what's the difference between the two?...and what's the cost of a typical Ice Eater? I'm always open to something more efficient, especially if it has a "pay-back" through hydro savings over some reasonable time-frame.

Thanks for any info....and sorry for the hi-jack.

Steve -- I was interested in your comment above re Ice Eater, as I have a "bubbler" bought from a local pump supplier, which I install every winter to protect my permanent pile dock at our place in Huntsville. I visited the Ice Eater web-site (via your link...thanks), and I'm having difficulty seeing much operational difference between the Ice Eater and my bubbler.

I have it on a timer so it only operates at night, and even in really cold weather, it still keeps the entire dock/boathouse clear of ice, with no apparent huge hydro cost penalty. It too has a stainless prop which operates on the principle of drawing warmer water up from below. It also has similar hangers in the shroud, although I had to buy my own chains and shackles separately.

When we first had the dock installed (3 winters ago), and there was about 27" of ice on the lake at the time, in about a week the bubbler had "eroded" an opening in the ice almost 50 ft. across...so there's no doubt about its effectiveness.

So, what gives?... what's the difference between the two?...and what's the cost of a typical Ice Eater? I'm always open to something more efficient, especially if it has a "pay-back" through hydro savings over some reasonable time-frame.

Thanks for any info....and sorry for the hi-jack.

Nowadays it is only a brand name difference in the olden days a bubbler was actually a air compressor that pumped air into the water and was fairly ineffiecent

steve, took the liberty of adding a picture of the ice eater results from last winter. It does clear a 50 foot section and takes very little time to install. Steve and dad chopped a hole in the ice and 24 hours later, you find this.

249_10da2879625116e16e96b862dfd5d7c9

Dam but I hate bubblers, ice eaters or whatever you want to call em. Seems everywhere you look theres open water near shore now due to the number of these things. If installed in fall, they can be left turned off all winter. When the sled season ends and the ice starts looking scary, then turn em on to protect your dock at ice out.

On a side note. Who was the genious that descided bubblers should be marked with a RED light. Stupidist thing I can think of. What colour is a sled tail light? Yellow flashing lights should be mandatory on bubblers, NOT TAIL LIGHT SIMULATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dam but I hate bubblers, ice eaters or whatever you want to call em. Seems everywhere you look theres open water near shore now due to the number of these things. If installed in fall, they can be left turned off all winter. When the sled season ends and the ice starts looking scary, then turn em on to protect your dock at ice out.

On a side note. Who was the genious that descided bubblers should be marked with a RED light. Stupidist thing I can think of. What colour is a sled tail light? Yellow flashing lights should be mandatory on bubblers, NOT TAIL LIGHT SIMULATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you feel that way, Doonut. You presumably don't have a big investment in a permanent dock and boathouse (as we do), otherwise you might have a different take on the whole bubbler issue.

Leaving the bubbler in the water (but not used) all winter and starting it up in spring "when the ice starts looking scary" is just too risky...I had the same thought when we first built our dock (in order to save hydro) but was strongly advised NOT to do that by our very experienced dock contractor...by the time the ice looks "scary", it could well have already damaged the dock structure due to ice shifting in the wind.

On the red light issue, our light is up on the boathouse itself, about 9 feet above ice/water level, so before any sledder gets close enough to be in the "risk" (thin ice) zone, it is easy to tell that it is NOT a sled tail light. Besides, the local riders soon get to know the location of bubbled docks and boathouses, and keep well away, so there are no well-worn tracks leading a newbie in the dark to the open water near the dock.

Any riders unfamiliar with the lake generally and/or the shoreline of our particular bay shouldn't be riding off the stake-line on the main lake at night anyway...too many other safety hazards, like rocks and older, low crib docks frozen into the ice surface and not readily visible at night. :shock:

you should definitely put yellow reflectors around the open water. or at the very least on the dock itself. 1 light isn't enough, very dangerous IMO. I can't stand them either.. must be muskoka thing as I've never seen them elsewhere... even though they should stick to the stake line and away from shore, they will venture off. wait until someone does go in and its too late. you could be looking at a lawsuit.. however ridculous it may be.

we tow our floater into a bay and drop a cinder. no way for it to float into the main channel, just tow it back in the spring. never lost it in over 20 years doing this.

I have a bubble in my boathouse and last winter it stopped working.. The boathouse froze solid and actually (with the water level rising) froze my outdrive into the lake and shifted the boathouse around (what a mess).. Luckily there was no damage to my Striper and the boathouse kind went back into place...

I went to the boathouse on the weekend to check the bubble and there was no ice at all (Long Point Bay). I could have gone out fishing :(

Dave, thanks for posting the Picture of my dock. The Ice Eater is a brand name, but the components are simply outstanding. As you saw on the website, it is a venturi tube with a propeller so the water pics up speed as it zooms through it and this creates an amazing jet of water. You put it 4 feet below the water and never put less than 2 feet from the bottom of lake or else it will suck up rocks. You can adjust the funnel of water so it does not point straight up - like a fountain. I have mine tilted about 15 degrees towards the shoreline and tie the ice eater up at the end of the dock. The first year I bought it, I left it almost straight up so the watwer shot from the lake bottom straight to the surface, and the ice eater was about 4 feet below the water. Never higher than 4 feet though becuase if they lower the lake and it is one foot below the surface.....WOW....FOUNTAIN TIME. Well in 1 week, the friggen hole in the 27" of ice was about 150 feet around!! So now I tilt it towards shore. Now the ice stays about 5 feet from the dock..so it is safer.

I am surprised Deer didn't run into it when my hole was 150 feet. We are NOT on a skidoo zone so I have no worries...and we have reflectors all over the place. We also put a huge sign with reflectors to keep people away.

The ice eater is going in the ice tomorrow afternoon, and within a day, my dock will be surrounded by water again.

ICE EATER : It uses a propeller to create water stir and therefore melts ice. It is basically a big tube (like a toilet paper roll) which is about 1 foot across and water is pushed through it by a metal propeller at the bottom and the tube is shaped like a venturi tube...so water speeds up naturally. I have mine set to go on only for 6 hours after dusk through a simple $10 sensor that you buy for Xmas lights.

BUBBLER: http://www.dockbubbler.com/ You leave it on usually all the time.

Lastly..what do you mean you do not need to post pictures to another website. That is what it says in the FAQ. How do you simply upload pictures??

Archived