ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

THERE WAS ONCE AMBITION TO HAVE A TRANS CANADA SNOWMOBILE TRAIL.........now that would be beyond cool.     I could imagine leaving my front door with a fat wallet at retirement ( remember I said imagine ) and picture myself eventually pulling up to Revelstoke to rent a mountain sled.  

Not sure if such a trail would actually go there, but you get my point.   

But ya from my garage in London, to clubhouse in St. Mary's to my parents in Sauble Beach, to my cousins in Wasaga Beach to friends cottage in Muskoka to family in North Bay, to friends in New Liskeard, Kirkland lake, Hearst, Dubreuilville and on to Thunder Bay where I haven't been since school, to the Manitoba border and on to Winnipeg, (ish) then back to the Quebec border and over to the ice hotel in Quebec and out to Gaspe and call for truck and trailer. 

Of course this would never happen, but just the idea that it is possible is / would be amazing !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping my contacts in Hearst and Dubreuilville will help me with this.  I will use my club and district contacts to speak with OFSC

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice bucket list idea... right now since we are coming into summer I am once again considering the concept of drop the boat in the water in Bay of Qunite at the start of the Trent and travel to Port Severn. Not quite as adventursome as what you are proposing but similar concept.

While the 'trail pass Dunkirk' outlined in previous posts is a nice idea, without political representation it is doomed to failure. Here's another idea that is crazy enough that it just might work - snowmobilers form their own Ontario political party. It is a lot easier than you think!

Here is the list of steps needed to register the party:

register an ontario party.pdf

Here is the petition form needed to register a new party well prior to another general election - requires 1,000 signatures:

petition for party registration.pdf

Seeing as there is a network of clubs thoughout the province, located in every provincial riding, the organizaion for each of the available 'seats' already exists - much the same as existing political parties. Clubs would just have to sort out who they were to nominate to run in each provincial riding - likely that clubs overlap the various riding boundaries.

Keep the OFSC and its tired ideas out of it, along with Ned Nickerson, his flunkies and Snowtraks, strive for official opposition status first election, and we'll have a trail system better than Quebec.

Slomo the "party planner".  :-P

If there's enough interest in this, we can separate the thread. One for LondonCalling's original post and the other for "change via the political process". The give / get  for Ontario snowmobiling is out of balance --- let's move forward with constructive ideas.

Canuck as the party leader and the next premier of Ontario. Slomo for Minister of Transport, Nunz for Minister of Tourism and Sledjunk for Minister of Natural Resources.... I can see it all now.

Canuck as the party leader (In other words, bartender)

Slomo for Minister of Transport ("We really should look into this 100 km / hour highway speed limit. That's awfully fast....")

Nunz for Minister of Tourism ("You're looking for Minister Nunz? He'll be in every second Wednesday from 9 to 11 am. At all other times, he's visiting his constituents in North Bay, Mattawa - wherever there's a trail)

Sledjunk for Minister of Natural Resources. --- (You want a winter appointment? Hahahahaha. :-P)

You know........ it has often occured to me that the OFSC should hire a communications person - someone who would create an awareness of snowmobiling to those who are not presently involved nor have the knowledge base necessary for possible involvement. Indeed, this person could also address concerns within the snowmobiling community such as clubs closing, volunteer burnout and..... that sort of thing.

Maybe at the next annual meeting, which apparently happens every year, someone could get the ball rolling on this idea. Just a thought.

Ned Nickerson :P

Slomo for Minister of Transport ("We really should look into this 100 km / hour highway speed limit. That's awfully fast....")

Nunz for Minister of Tourism ("You're looking for Minister Nunz? He'll be in every second Wednesday from 9 to 11 am. At all other times, he's visiting his constituents in North Bay, Mattawa - wherever there's a trail)

Sledjunk for Minister of Natural Resources. --- (You want a winter appointment? Hahahahaha. :-P)

lmao !!!!!

Well this is an amazing idea. There are a lot of people on here and on hcs that I am sure would help get us to 1000 signatures. I love this idea and am willing to help out. Just need to figure out a game plan on how to take this on.

THERE WAS ONCE AMBITION TO HAVE A TRANS CANADA SNOWMOBILE TRAIL.........now that would be beyond cool.     I could imagine leaving my front door with a fat wallet at retirement ( remember I said imagine ) and picture myself eventually pulling up to Revelstoke to rent a mountain sled.  

Not sure if such a trail would actually go there, but you get my point.   

But ya from my garage in London, to clubhouse in St. Mary's to my parents in Sauble Beach, to my cousins in Wasaga Beach to friends cottage in Muskoka to family in North Bay, to friends in New Liskeard, Kirkland lake, Hearst, Dubreuilville and on to Thunder Bay where I haven't been since school, to the Manitoba border and on to Winnipeg, (ish) then back to the Quebec border and over to the ice hotel in Quebec and out to Gaspe and call for truck and trailer. 

Of course this would never happen, but just the idea that it is possible is / would be amazing !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping my contacts in Hearst and Dubreuilville will help me with this.  I will use my club and district contacts to speak with OFSC

There once was a transontario trail. Until ThunderBay closed most of thier trails severing the transontario trail. Thjen Distric 16 folded putting an even bigger hole. But as for a transcanadian trail I can ride from here into Alberta right up to the mountains. No BC trails that cross the mountains but people have crossed them.

You have to fix the big hole in the Ontario trail system. If you do that then from London to here is about 2,500 to 3,000kms and from here to Edmonton about another 3,000kms. I'll ride with ya if you want to run it. My dream was to ride from here and loop Southern Ontario and back. 5,000kms I figured. Maybe some day!

To all the nay sayers about getting Ontario connected again, it takes positive thinking not negative defeatist thinking. Circle the wagons is giving up. More and more youth are buying sleds there are more young people becoming interested. For now it wont happen but with a little work and a younger crowd moving up interested in touring it could happen.

I trailered 4 hours one way and 10 hours on way for two trips this year and I can sled from my garage door. I also looked at doing the snow train which would have been a 10 hour one way drive but with the trail in the middle closed and searchmount issues the trip was canceled. Maybe next year! Some of the young crowd is looking at this and liking the idea, I encourage them to join me.

Preliminary discussions on this topic with Premier Wynn have resulted in the new snowmobile trail speed limit of 'lickedy split'.

Preliminary discussions on this topic with Premier Wynn have resulted in the new snowmobile trail speed limit of 'lickedy split'.

Too early in the day for that one Slomo.... if I read it late this afternoon maybe.... It did cause a bit of chuckle thought.

Too early in the day for that one Slomo.... if I read it late this afternoon maybe.... It did cause a bit of chuckle thought.

Confused by your response. 'Lickedy split' was the generally accepted speed on highway 69 to Sudbury - which is gradually disappearing due to expansion of highway 400. Sort of a nod to the past....

Nothing will make think that connecting southern ontario, to Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario is anything except a great idea.  

As I have said, I am going to keep this thread going and in November (maybe sooner) I will start a thread where members can indicate which club in the north they are willing to allocate at least one permit to.  My name will be first on that list.  

From now to then, I will try and make contact with a club ambitious enough to extend west or from D16 who will attempt to connect to the east.

Small goal for now is to connect Marathon or Longlac.  

I say again that one club in the north cannot go it alone, nor can one club or one person in the south. 

I'm from New York, the trail here is about .25 miles from my door.  I have ridden 0 miles in New York over the past 2 years, I have about 6000 miles on my 2013 sled, all of them being Ontario miles.  Obviously I trailer every time I ride.  While I must admit I am a bit different than most, it's had for me to believe that there aren't other like me who just haven't yet experienced true snowmobiling.  I think the OFSC and Ontario Tourism haven't put forth nearly enough effort in trying to promote the sport in northern Ontario.

I would love to see a Trans Canada trail, but realize I probably won't in my lifetime, for now I'll do all I can to help reestablish the trails we have lost in northern Ontario.

Nothing will make think that connecting southern ontario, to Northeastern and Northwestern Ontario is anything except a great idea.  

As I have said, I am going to keep this thread going and in November (maybe sooner) I will start a thread where members can indicate which club in the north they are willing to allocate at least one permit to.  My name will be first on that list.  

From now to then, I will try and make contact with a club ambitious enough to extend west or from D16 who will attempt to connect to the east.

Small goal for now is to connect Marathon or Longlac.  

I say again that one club in the north cannot go it alone, nor can one club or one person in the south. 

Just get us 20 percent of the tax money that we generate and anything can happen 

Just get us 20 percent of the tax money that we generate and anything can happen 

So true!

Longlac to Hearst isn't a difficult connection, they've had that trail before, and a group has made it from Longlac to Hearst a couple of weeks ago with little difficulty.  And Hornepayne to Hillsport isn't far, however trail conditions might be difficult after a few years of non-passage, downed trees, etc.  Not impossible, but might be difficult.

Hornepayne at about an hour away would be doable for me to lend a hand in opening a trail to reconnect to Hillsport.  I can also get to there from the West end, from the 11 down to Hillsport on the road I hunt on.  

If it is going to be a Go, I'll throw my name in for the manual labour portion.

If you hear of a work "party" this summer to reopen "A" to Hillsport or A107A to Longlac; please post it here.  I will make the 14 hour drive and be there!

Akron, you are a dedicated sledder.

If you hear of a work "party" this summer to reopen "A" to Hillsport or A107A to Longlac; please post it here.  I will make the 14 hour drive and be there!

I will too.  Summer work I can always make.  Not always the case in the fall. 

Longlac to Hearst isn't a difficult connection, they've had that trail before, and a group has made it from Longlac to Hearst a couple of weeks ago with little difficulty.  And Hornepayne to Hillsport isn't far, however trail conditions might be difficult after a few years of non-passage, downed trees, etc.  Not impossible, but might be difficult.

Hornepayne at about an hour away would be doable for me to lend a hand in opening a trail to reconnect to Hillsport.  I can also get to there from the West end, from the 11 down to Hillsport on the road I hunt on.  

If it is going to be a Go, I'll throw my name in for the manual labour portion.

Hopefully there are some guys on the west end to help.  Again, I go back to the partnership thing.  Let people know there are people elsewhere in the province and even the south and out of province that want this and are willing to help.   Thanks Denis.

I sent a message via facebook to the Longlac club last night.  I was reading about their group ride this past winter to Hearst.  I told them I will endeavour to get permit buyers if they can connect.  Lots of links worth reading about the north of superior association not selling enough permits to remain in club standing with the ofsc from their facebook site. 

Make no mistake, it is not the fault of the OFSC nor is it the fault of the association.  In fact who cares why it happened, let's focus on fixing it.  All snowmobilers in Ontario will benefit. 

If there's 50 snowmobilers in any area they have the option of remaining part of the OFSC.  

The fate of Ontario relies on the purchase of permits. 

Archived