ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

Wish I could get up there for that ride.

However, this just in from Denis in Hearst.

D trail to Marathon now open limited from Dubreuilville.

This is absolutely HUGE  HUGE   HUGE  in my opinion.   Right up there with the connection from Cochrane to Halfway through Folyet and Chapleau.

It is my intention to ride both of these trails during my March break.

I have a very ambitious route planned on the giant north loop with an out and back to Marathon from Dubreuilville included.

(second goal......rubber side down always.....lol........BRRAAAPPPP )

Way to go Marathon club and Dubreuilville.  

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Greenstone snow club has a "Hearst Run" on their calendar of events for March 5-6. http://www.snowclub.ca/calendar/

If you look in the info on the ride they say "consent form needed if trail not open", my take on this would be they are going to try to open trail but will be doing the ride regardless. Depending on timing I may also be interested in joining you.

I believe that the consent form is a formality, a disclaimer or waiver of sorts. To protect the club in case something happened on a club ride on non-OFSC trails .... my best guess anyway ....

It is a great accomplishment and one I never expected to see. Great news for sure. Hope they're decent to ride. How's that for distance between fuel stops, Dubreuilville to White River to Marathon?

The Greenstone snow club has a "Hearst Run" on their calendar of events for March 5-6.  http://www.snowclub.ca/calendar/

If you look in the info on the ride they say "consent form needed if trail not open", my take on this would be they are going to try to open trail but will be doing the ride regardless.  Depending on timing I may also be interested in joining you.

they have been doing this ride for at least 3 years now....maybe longer, since the trail closed. Nice to see there is interest up there, funds seem to be the factor.

Good to see some clubs here in the south being able to help out northern clubs with groomers and operators at this time of year.  ( I remember when Glencoe sent a groomer to Mattawa a couple years back)

I know that a groomer already went to district 14 and one is going to Mattawa with an operator too.  (operator is the brother of a buddy I ride with a lot)

Just throwing it out there that what if the funds that were currently accumulated in groomer replacement reserve were used to cover trucking and operator wages and fuel.  I know additional or newer groomers are required, but could this bridge the void until the funds are there. 

it may not be that simple, but I'm sure something could be worked out.  From what I understand is the receiving club or district is covering the transportation costs and paying for food and accomodations if an operator comes and the district from which the groomer comes from is paying the cost of groomer fuel and groomer wages. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's officially the end of this season's riding for me.  

3009 km on a crap season isn't too bad.

The weather turned on me in a hurry, and as such I was not able to ride the giant northern loop aka the Mooseback.

I did ride from Kapuskasing to Dubreuilville and back with some off trail riding around Dville and as a consolation I was able to ride some of the newly reconnected toward Marathon.

I made it to just shy of White River, but the road grader ended the journey at Hammer lake.  A new owner with cottages for rent, an LCBO and restaurant forewarned me.  Nice to meet this fellow, unfortunately I did not catch his name.  I do remember he is from Sarnia originally, which is where I grew up.  (well I've never completely grown up but that's another story)

Being able to ride newly conneted trail was mainly what my ride was all about.  I also made it to Halfway Haven on the family day weekend so mission almost half accomplished I guess.

Next year in my March break I am determined to ride that dam Mooseback and make it out to Marathon.  It's not much, but spending my gas money as well as on accommodations and meals could help out.

Snowmobiling is alive and well in all of Ontario and we must continue to all work together to make it flourish everywhere and allow riders to continuously ride from one end of the province to the other.

Happy trails to all and bring on summer, I hope spring is as short as winter was.

I'm hoping to be able to reduce my sledding budget for next winter by riding without having to trailer to a destination. Just back them off the trailer and ride where they are. Is it too early to start the naked snow dance and the prayers to the snow gods?

Well, it's officially the end of this season's riding for me.  

3009 km on a crap season isn't too bad.

I did ride from Kapuskasing to Dubreuilville and back with some off trail riding around Dville and as a consolation I was able to ride some of the newly reconnected toward Marathon.

I made it to just shy of White River, but the road grader ended the journey at Hammer lake.  A new owner with cottages for rent, an LCBO and restaurant forewarned me.  Nice to meet this fellow, unfortunately I did not catch his name.  I do remember he is from Sarnia originally, which is where I grew up.  (well I've never completely grown up but that's another story)

Any pictures?

Is it too early to start the naked snow dance and the prayers to the snow gods?

Don't need pictures.

I'm hoping to be able to reduce my sledding budget for next winter by riding without having to trailer to a destination. Just back them off the trailer and ride where they are. Is it too early to start the naked snow dance and the prayers to the snow gods?

Definitely not!  Need to make up for this year!

Any pictures?

Don't need pictures.

Agreed!!!!!

Trailering is half the fun and you don't have to shovel and blow all of that snow at home, which is a bonus!

Slomo, I have pictures on my iphone.  If I got step by step instructions and by that i mean do this then this then this etc I could put them on here.  I usually share them via facebook as its as easy as the push of a button.

I would love to show you guys how much saplings \ brush tags I had to ride through to get to Hammer Lake on the D trail out of Dville.  about a 75 km ride on the newly reconnected trail.  Many times my riding buddy wanted me to turn around, but I would convince him that there would be more of the awesome logging roads that are also on this trail. 

I did not take pics but i saw the skid steer Pat who owns the Magpie bought as well as the brusher \ chainsaw thing a ma bob he bought.  He is going to use this to brush trail for setting up dual sport motorcycle riding in this area as well as at Halfway Haven and of course use it brush sled trail.  He used it while I was there to take snow from a snowbank and make a trail through the parking lot to his indoor shed \ heated garage  (he posted video of this skid steer brusher on facebook)  just check out the Relais Magpie Relay site on facebook.

Pat, his brother in law Pat and his dad Raymond may just be the most hospitable people I've ever met, and I'm not saying this to promote anything.  He gave me the keys to the hotel shuttle to use at my beckon call and full use of his indoor heated garage and shop tools picked up beer for me when I called ahead.  

They also gave me and another group guided off trail adventures.  (on one of these rides we went to an old gold mine that Pat is trying to raise from the dead,  I was allowed to take a few core samples that had visible gold fleks in them for my kids at home and to show at school.)

Unfortunately there was nothing anyone could do about the weather.  I still managed to put on about 1300 km over 4 days.  As i said, next year I'm riding the Mooseback loop through Folyet and Chaplea and out to Marathon and if Longlac conncects to Hearst or Hornepayne that too.

From where I live spending gas money, money on food and lodging is probably all that I can realistically do to help reconnect Ontario.

IF YOU BUILD IT I WILL COME

Slomo, I have pictures on my iphone.  If I got step by step instructions and by that i mean do this then this then this etc I could put them on here.  I usually share them via facebook as its as easy as the push of a button.

I would love to show you guys how much saplings \ brush tags I had to ride through to get to Hammer Lake on the D trail out of Dville.  about a 75 km ride on the newly reconnected trail.  Many times my riding buddy wanted me to turn around, but I would convince him that there would be more of the awesome logging roads that are also on this trail. 

The trail pics would certainly be interesting to see conditions, but no idea how to get images off the iphone. USB to PC?  If you can get them to a PC, use the instructions by reved at post #5 on this thread in the Tests, Help and Suggestions forum:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11219-loading-pictures/

Or link to facebook? I have found it worthwhile to have a facebook account to be able to access trail conditions from clubs etc. Some require a log on, although other than that I have no use for it.

The folks at RMR are indeed hospitable - I remember being confused about who was Pat and who was Pat - called everyone Pat, except for skidooboy and partner of course.

Any pics that i have taken with my phone i now email them to myself from my phone  and when i am on my computer at home  log into email and then i save them to my computer from my email.  Makes posting easier on many sites. seems that i am using my camera less and less every year and only using my phone for pics now.

• 9 months later...

Here's a little update on this, just to get some spirits up .....

Longlac to Hearst trail to re-open ....

Another link from the Groomer Guy ....

Post by Groomer Guy ....

Hang on tight LondonCalling, it's on the way .....

Great news, all around. Looks remote.

Archived