ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

We rode the "D" 6 or 7 years ago. It was a slow technical ride as I recall, twisty and many hills on the Hydro line. Bach then I think we rode from Marathon to Manitouwadge, there was a really narrow trail leaving Marathon that linked up with one of the main trails (A106D?). Back then we then rode from Manitouwadge to Hillsport then to Longlac and Hearst.

The good old days!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenstone Snow Club has just posted on FB about opening the trail towards Hearst .... added 3 photos... what an awesome ride that would be !!!

Link to their page ...

https://www.facebook.com/snowclublonglacgeraldton/

I spoke with Luc last night after reading this and it was a district decision, key word being was.  He said district has now given the ok.  He didn't say exactly what each clubs share would be.   I'm thinking now that I might head to Dub for my March Break instead of Cochrane where I usually go.

I'm not sure what District 13 has arranged with their gps units. ie if they have imposed limits.  As for new rules, Our district trails committee is actually going the other way, where we are looking sharing more trail and doing away with artificial club boundaries.  Our district wide association managed to buy two new groomers (about 3 years old) with the efficiencies that we have been able to make.  And that was in the longest riding season in recent memory.   Neither of these groomers came from the supposed groomers that the ofsc has purchased. 

That being said there are many differences in every district.   I'm just happy to see all the reconnects in the north such as this and back through Chapleau etc.

Huge advantage on the exchange rate for US riders too. 

If you do choose to ride around Dub for March Break you can save a lot of drive time coming up through the states and ride from Searchmont north.  Less driving more riding.  

If you do choose to ride around Dub for March Break you can save a lot of drive time coming up through the states and ride from Searchmont north. Less driving more riding.

We started that trip in Massey and headed West then north. It was a good trip. We started a trip in 06 on Drummond Island and a loop from there. Both were good starting points.

i am guessing after speaking with Luc last week, that if it is ok'd, they will be able to groom to the halfway point between white river and Dub, like they used to. Per Luc, marathon and their grooming authority has stationed a groomer at white river. this will allow them to groom to Dub's halfway point. it will also allow them to groom west to meet the marathon groomer weekly, as they need two groomers between white river and marathon to get up some of the HUGE HILLS ON THE HYDRO LINE. they use the groomers in tandem, one pulling the other up and over the bigger hills. the terrain is beautiful but, not for the faint of heart.

the biggest obstacle, will be getting the man power to take on the opening of the last 100 km stretch from WR to Dub, as it hasn't been in operation in approx. 4-5 years. in that time, there have been multiple large wind storms, the HUGE FLOOD, and the normal growth of non sledding, trimming brushing ect... this will not be a fast and easy, "lets just open it back up". they will need machinery, and people to help with this. Dub and Marathon and their small crew cannot do this on their own, and with the marathon club people being so far away, will have their hands full, just in logistics to get people there. THEY WILL NEED AND APPRECIATE HELP.

hoping, I can provide some assistance, if I can make it work with work schedule, and when I am there in town. anyone else want to go up and help? to connect the two communities is over 100 km. it is not a short connector trail. it will take days to get through. Ski

I am sure dub and hornepayne sold less then 50 permits last year so the ofsc let's the district pool the permits, otherwise these clubs would cease.

It's not all clear, with when a district goes with a "District permit" a club can sell less then 50 permits and still be ok "BUT" at the district level they want you to sell 50 permits and more.

i am guessing after speaking with Luc last week, that if it is ok'd, they will be able to groom to the halfway point between white river and Dub, like they used to. Per Luc, marathon and their grooming authority has stationed a groomer at white river. this will allow them to groom to Dub's halfway point. it will also allow them to groom west to meet the marathon groomer weekly, as they need two groomers between white river and marathon to get up some of the HUGE HILLS ON THE HYDRO LINE. they use the groomers in tandem, one pulling the other up and over the bigger hills. the terrain is beautiful but, not for the faint of heart.

the biggest obstacle, will be getting the man power to take on the opening of the last 100 km stretch from WR to Dub, as it hasn't been in operation in approx. 4-5 years. in that time, there have been multiple large wind storms, the HUGE FLOOD, and the normal growth of non sledding, trimming brushing ect... this will not be a fast and easy, "lets just open it back up". they will need machinery, and people to help with this. Dub and Marathon and their small crew cannot do this on their own, and with the marathon club people being so far away, will have their hands full, just in logistics to get people there. THEY WILL NEED AND APPRECIATE HELP.

hoping, I can provide some assistance, if I can make it work with work schedule, and when I am there in town. anyone else want to go up and help? to connect the two communities is over 100 km. it is not a short connector trail. it will take days to get through. Ski

Eric got it right, One thing you guys have to know is Eric has a house in Dubreuilville now. he is a resident of our town and has been coming here for a long time and he knows the backwoods out here as much as I do. Eric and I often talk via text or in person when he is in town. last conversation we had was that he asked me when we plan on going out to try to open up the D trail west and that he would take some vacation time to come help. Thanks Eric.

Marathon have been working hard on this, this is such a great club and they are very dedicated. they have been working their way on the D trail at a slow rate as there is low snow and there is many trees down and brush. SO FAR THEY HAVE MADE IT OUT OF THEIR OWN TRAIL SYSTEM AND WORKING ON..... (Stupid cap locks lol) the old White River club trail section I talked quickly with the Marathon Club President online Sunday )Graig is a great guy and will do good things for that club. he told me "We are still 25k west of White River... A couple of us went on our sleds on Friday... there is spots where there is hardly any snow. One of the little swamps is wide open. Mother nature is not on our side this year."

Now to make things worst I got an email from him this morning last week they got a groomer stuck, they got it out and taught I was ok, turns out it drank a bit of water and it broke the engine. The Engine is Pooched.... and that was their best unit. So now they are stuck with only one unit.

In Dubreuilville we also have low snow, I've never seen this in the 20 years of grooming.... so far we have yet to head on the D trail west.

Marathon either a BR or Tucker.

any idea what type and horsepower the motor is

Marathon either a BR or Tucker.

cummins in the tucker.....it would have to be friggin deep for it to take water in the intake though......it would be an easier fix than the br....should find out, I would be surprised if there aren't used parts within our own system for the br.

Hey Ted, how about taking some vacation March 12-19 or maybe 5 days. Head north.   Oh, and I ran into Huey on the trails on Sunday.

if its a 4 bt cummins they are readily available

if you could get me the numbers off the plate on the side i can probably find one

Hey Ted, how about taking some vacation March 12-19 or maybe 5 days. Head north.   Oh, and I ran into Huey on the trails on Sunday.

well I am takin that time off Rick, I am going to Daytona for bike week, when I get home from that I'll unhook the bike trailer and hook onto the race car trailer and go to Kentucky for a race down there, weather permitting.....and as long as the car is ready to go.

Ya, I was talkin to Huey this morning and he said the went out, never got into any details though.....mostly club business eh

if its a 4 bt cummins they are readily available

if you could get me the numbers off the plate on the side i can probably find one

It's a BR180, they could not turn the motor by hand but now they think it was the starter..... so the engine should be ok... they need a new starter and they said a quote for one was 1800$ looking for other solution then a OEM starter

I would look internally within the federation, see if there is a parts machine that a district owns, I don't wanna sound like a know it all, but make sure they have pulled the injectors out of it before they get to carried away trying to turn it over. Water is tuff to compress without wrecking stuff.

It's a BR180, they could not turn the motor by hand but now they think it was the starter..... so the engine should be ok... they need a new starter and they said a quote for one was 1800$ looking for other solution then a OEM starter

it would be worth looking into rebuilding what they have 

im sure there is a rebuilder in thunder bay

again without numbers off of the part i really cant source one

i will phine some people in thunder bay and get a name of a rebuilder

in thunder bay

gerald dykstra

1-807-252-6605

starter and alternater rebuilding

in thunder bay

gerald dykstra

1-807-252-6605

starter and alternater rebuilding

I guess really another valid question would be what happened to the starter. Alot of times when an engine hydraulics during cranking, it can break the snout off the starter, if this is the case, part of the housing will be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any further progress on connecting Marathon to Dubreuilleville ? or for that matter Geraldton / Longlac to Hearst ?

Perhaps those are long term projects or for next winter after El Nino dies (I wish she would)

Also if there are those from southern ontario who want to ride in and around Dub, Wawa, Halfway, Hornepayne, Hearst in mid March get in touch with me. 

The tentative plan is to drive up on Saturday, March 13 and ride Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri and drive back on Saturday, March 20

The specifics will be worked out closer to the date.  

i am guessing after losing the one groomer to the water, and only having one more, marathon decided to abandon the project for the season, to be able to continue local grooming for their core permit buyer... unless their district, or another district wanted to help out with equipment. with them having limited funds, and manpower, I do not blame them one bit. it is a tough row to hoe up there.

as for longlac to hearst, I thought Denis said something that they were starting to get this open earlier. I could be wrong. Ski

There was some talk on the Longlac/Geraldton facebook page ... haven't heard much since though, now that you mention it...

Hey Denis, better than average chance I will be your way again for my march break March 12-19.  have you heard if people have ridden to Longlac/ Geraldton as some had last year?  and if so would you consider the endeavour?

The Greenstone snow club has a "Hearst Run" on their calendar of events for March 5-6.  http://www.snowclub.ca/calendar/

If you look in the info on the ride they say "consent form needed if trail not open", my take on this would be they are going to try to open trail but will be doing the ride regardless.  Depending on timing I may also be interested in joining you.  

Archived