ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

more crap you spew and don't know crap about. dub sold over 50 on their own, and hornepayne has a large group of town buyers that puts them well over the minimum 50 yearly. almost the entire town of hornepayne is employed by cn, and the town and club are doing well.

also, to show you how little you know about this area after only riding there one time.... hornepayne is not in the same district as dubreuilville. hornepayne is with district 15, dub is in 13. so how could they pool together and create 50 permits if they had to divide them into 2 districts matrix?

please stop posting crap on the internet that you don't know first hand about... or have the correct facts. at least do a google search, so you don't come across as the complete moron, know it all, that we as a group think you are.

sorry if I hurt your feelings but, MAN THIS crap GETS OLD. Ski

Great post skidooboy..

I just wanted to say again that I'm back and reading this topic that I started after another long hiatous, sorry guys.  Awesome to see how it has continued.   It was good to see many of you at the ofsc agm again. 

if anyone knows of a club that is hovering just around the 50 permit mark and could use another let me know. I had intended it to go to Dub, but would rather see it strategically used. (the other goes to my world record holding club of Science Hill drifters......had to put that plug in there again.....lol)

All great news about the reallocation of Marathon to D13 and Longlac Geraldton to D15 and the D trail from the Soo to Wawa and the trail through Chapleau to Folyet and on to Timmins.

By the way its never to early to start planning for my two yearly trips north.  

first one is Dec 26 to Dec 31 (leave boxing day and head home new years eve morning)

second one is March break (have to check the dates on this currently)    

Coming from London, it sure would shave some time to go the Soo and start and end there.   (All of this is dependent on snow of course)

I promise to keep the rubber side down this year.  No more airplane rides for this sledhead.

Look forward to hearing from all.  

Airplane rides?  I had one of those from Hornepayne to the Soo.  That's not how you want to end a trip!

I'm not sure how it works but I hears from a reliable source in D16 that they are now a part of D15.  I was able to choose Longlac as my club of choice for my permit purchase, I suppose they're just an extension of D15 now.  I sent a message to a few folks to find out if there would be any trails to Longlac this year; I have not heard back, I'll let you know if I hear anything.  I love this time of year!

Airplane rides?  I had one of those from Hornepayne to the Soo.  That's not how you want to end a trip!

I'm not sure how it works but I hears from a reliable source in D16 that they are now a part of D15.  I was able to choose Longlac as my club of choice for my permit purchase, I suppose they're just an extension of D15 now.  I sent a message to a few folks to find out if there would be any trails to Longlac this year; I have not heard back, I'll let you know if I hear anything.  I love this time of year!

I can confirm (once again) that Longlac and Geraldton clubs are now part of District 15. At this time they are not part of the Northern Corridor Snowmobile Association. What that means with respect to grooming any trails between Hearst and Longlac has yet to be determined. There are many factors to be considered before this can be accomplished. However, where there's a will, there's a way. The other clubs in District 15 are positive about the addition of Longlac and Geraldton and once the Corridor begins meeting for the season, I believe some decisions will be made, one way or the other.

Certainly supporting these clubs through permit purchases is one positive way to show support and that there's a willingness to make bigger things happen.

I would Like that post Claire but my quota is all used up ....

LC the xmas time holiday dates are a crapshoot everywhere. no one will really know how those dates will work until about dec 20th or so. everyone understands that people have holiday time for vacations and time off work so, understandably so, those with hobbies want to enjoy them. unfortunately with the system we have, not much grooming gets done on those dates, due to family commitments, and lack of parts availability when a breakdown occurs,for our clubs and volunteers.  

I have seen the trails AWESOME at that time, TERRIBLE, at that time... ungroomed, unsigned, and unopen at that time, and no snow on the ground at all, at that time (speaking of north of the soo area specifically). like my first statement, it will be a crap shoot. you will have to be flexible, and go where the snow is. might be the far north, might be the far east, or you might need to travel west to alberta or BC. time will tell, we are all looking for that first ride. with us having the home in dub now, I am REALLY excited for the season.

here's to an early start, and a looong safe riding season for all. Ski

Yes, I understand this.  Last year was the first time I went north after Christmas.  That was only to do the break in on a new sled.  I will of course go where the snow is and make no complaints.  I was just putting it out there to see if there was any interest.  Last minute notification is fine with me.  It's possible I may not even go at that time.  ( In some years, I've even been able to ride in District 9 from my parents place at Sauble Beach)

I'm just going to hope for the best. 

Nobody wants one of those rides from ORNGE at any point in any trip. 

I'm crossing my fingers about grooming between Hearst and Geraldton.  (and just to confirm as has already been done, Longlac and Geraldton are part of D15 and Marathon is part of D13.)

I appreciate the updates about D16/D15.  I really loved the ride on the A107A, hope it opens once again. 

So I dedicated Dubreilville as the club for my second permit, as I did not hear who best could use it.  I figure they all could in one way or another, and it's only one permit.  The Relais Magpie is such an awesome place to stay and Pat the owner is in my opinion a truly fantastic person.  He saved my butt BIGTIME  last winter.  I intend to return there as often as I can and bring buddies.  Hopefully I can ride with Luc too,  I wasn't able to before. 

I really though about Longlac in the hopes they would groom to Hearst (since that was kind of the idea by starting this thread......connecting one more club at a time until we get back to being able to ride the Manitoba border)

Thanks Akron for dedicating the Longlac club.   Perhaps Chapleau could use a few more permits guys.  I'm sure there may be others too.  

All the talk about any trail reopening is truly amazing.   Thanks to all who make it possible.

So I dedicated Dubreilville as the club for my second permit, as I did not hear who best could use it.  I figure they all could in one way or another, and it's only one permit.  The Relais Magpie is such an awesome place to stay and Pat the owner is in my opinion a truly fantastic person.  He saved my butt BIGTIME  last winter.  I intend to return there as often as I can and bring buddies.  Hopefully I can ride with Luc too,  I wasn't able to before. 

I really though about Longlac in the hopes they would groom to Hearst (since that was kind of the idea by starting this thread......connecting one more club at a time until we get back to being able to ride the Manitoba border)

Thanks Akron for dedicating the Longlac club.   Perhaps Chapleau could use a few more permits guys.  I'm sure there may be others too.  

All the talk about any trail reopening is truly amazing.   Thanks to all who make it possible.

I did too!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering who would be interested in a 5 day trip to Wawa or Dubreilville area for the week of March 14 -18  (5 days of riding, 7 days total with driving on either end leave Sunday March 13 and home on Sat March 19)  Probably best to send me a personal message.    

I bought one from dub too after riding there trails last winter. With the new trail brusher that the motel owners bought to help out. These guys are trying hard to have an amazing trail system.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the trails that are planning to reopen, are the same ones that once existed.  Particularly up through Halfway Haven and the trail through Chapleau to Timmins. 

Does anyone know if the trails that are planning to reopen, are the same ones that once existed.  Particularly up through Halfway Haven and the trail through Chapleau to Timmins. 

Great question. We're also looking at a Chapleau to Timmins trip (avoided it in years past due to 'twisty' reputation, but have to give it a go).

Local info re Sault Ste Marie to Halfway Haven also appreciated. Seems like there will be many changes in Searchmont (as gas stations dwindle, trails seem to change -- i.e. they no longer 'lead' to the fuel station).

Great question. We're also looking at a Chapleau to Timmins trip (avoided it in years past due to 'twisty' reputation, but have to give it a go).

Local info re Sault Ste Marie to Halfway Haven also appreciated. Seems like there will be many changes in Searchmont (as gas stations dwindle, trails seem to change -- i.e. they no longer 'lead' to the fuel station).

If it's open we'll be riding it.  Join us if you like.  We'll be staying at Valentine Farms in Chapleau then on to Post 392 near Timmins.  I will post the exact trip itinerary here soon.

Akron, I stayed at Valentine Farms before.  The president of my local club is really close friend of their son. (he is a fireman in London)  Anyway, I know that the B&B was sold and I'm not sure if it is still in operation or not.  (i thought i heard it was sold to be used as housing for local workers.....I could be wrong......best to check)

LC,

Thanks.  I will call and check.  How all is okay with Ross the (former?) owner.  IMO - No reason to stop in Chapleau if Valentine Farms is no longer available.

if you are coming from timmins, sault, or searchmont, you may not have the strength to ride to the next town destination with lodging. your only option may be Aux Trois Moulin's in chapleau. remember, this is a high mileage area with large areas with no services including gas, food and lodging. buyer beware.  Ski

As well with the F trail from Missinabi to Chapeau not opening it will be a long ride via Halfway Haven to points east of Wawa.  

Time to study the IAFG carefully. Didn't realize you had to swing down that far south to go "East-West"

Thanks, group.

x2 on Valentine's, Akron. Not sure if I'd bypass Chapleau without Ross' establishment, given my desire to run Chapleau-Timmins.

So how many Early permits did dub sell? Hopefully 50 to get them off to a great start!

I am wondering if the Dub club will groom to dog lake now, with the trail being closed from missanabi to chapleau?... and if Ernie will be planning on being open for food, lodging, and or fuel, with or without any trail access to him.  times they are a changing. Ski

I am wondering if the Dub club will groom to dog lake now, with the trail being closed from missanabi to chapleau?... and if Ernie will be planning on being open for food, lodging, and or

fuel, with or without any trail access to him.

times they are a changing. Ski

That sucks! Hopefully they will groom it a few times a month to dog lake. Never had an Ernie burger, but hope to in the future.

I am really doubting it will be worth it to ernie to stock food, heat the buildings, plow, ect... for a few regional locals and "those tourists in the know", that "may" show up for a drink or a order of poutine... when there is only one access mapped trail to him, which is dead ending at him. he has talked about it for years, if the traffic doesn't pick up, he will close in the winter months. I am hoping he will be open but, I have not heard confirmation from the area if he will be open.

don't get me wrong, I love to go there. the trail, lake topography is stunning, and we try to make time to go there every season. but....I understand the logistics and money shelled out by these smaller remote stops, and sometimes they say when they have had enough.

Ski

It is tough for sure. So many places have closed because of lack of traffic. There Is some hope for Ernie though that the trail is open from the soo again, so riders may venture in. My only be worth it on weekends for him to be open. Does he get Atvers in the summer?

Archived