ONE CLUB AT A TIME: A PROPOSAL TO RECONNECT ALL OF ONTARIO

LondonCalling

Posted on Facebook by Sault Trailblazers:

It's official! The D trail between the Sault and Wawa is being reopened for the 2015-16 season... finally!! As an added bonus, there will be a new trail from the D trail, just south Halfway Haven, to Chapleau which will also be re-connected to Foleyet and Timmins. Great news for the touring sledders. Check out the recently updated OFSC Interactive Guide. http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/

https://www.facebook.com/sault.trailblazers/photos/a.672711602857711.1073741826.672711556191049/751808464948024/?type=3&fref=nf

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, now there's some good news !!!  No fuel at Mooseland yet, still an empty lot, but I could do Longlac with an extra 3-4 gallons with my 670, the wifes' Rev would prolly do the same.

If there was gas at Hillsport, and a trail from Hornepayne to Hillsport, we'd be laughing !!!

I have also heard that Longlac/Geraldton will be part of D15 this year and they should be grooming the trail between Hearst/Longlac

Don't there's been a decision made, as of yet, about grooming between Hearst and Longlac.

There was much discussion on that after the group rode from Longlac to Hearst last year, but I haven't heard anything yet either.

Uh, that should have read "I don't think there's been a decision made...".  I know there's been discussion, but don't think the District board has made any firm commitments.

Everybody that I've talked to are pretty excited to have some new clubs on board, so overall it's a very positive development. With what's planned for D13 and the connection over to Timmins, this could be a pretty interesting year for snowmobilers.

Bring on the snow!!

Don't there's been a decision made, as of yet, about grooming between Hearst and Longlac.

I have ridden the old A107A many times it's a great trail but there are absolutely no services along the way. It's about 100 miles between Calstock and Klotz lake then another 30 to Longlac.  I'm not sure of the status of gas at Klotz Lake any more, I can call Mike and find out if the trail will be open and if there is any true interest.  If that trail and the old "A" through Hillsport were to open, it would make for one of the best 3 day loops in northern Ontario.  Keep your fingers crossed!

way back when......

Here in the south we have the population (and yes we have amazing riding too)       The north has a longer and more predictable riding season.

I propose a muti-year partnership between the north and south as follows.

*  I'm hoping that one year at a time, we connect one more club to D16.    ( the interactive map would extend just a little further each year )

Repeat this until D16 is alive again.  example:  (Dubreuilville to Marathon  177 km     Marathon to Terrace Bay   82 km  or  to  Schreiber  96 km  

Schreiber to  Nipigon    91 km        Nipigon  to   Thunder Bay  120 km)  all highway distances

Geographically speaking this can easily be accomplished, its the manpower that is the hard thing. I know Dubreuiville would love to connect to Marathon.(both clubs already exist)   Marathon west to Nipigon would be a challenge as there is no club in that area        Nipigon getting around to connect to Thunder Bay trails would be somewhat of a challenge.

Having less than 200 km of trail to maintain is sustainable even for a small club if they only have one trail to maintain.

Once this has proven sustainable, it may spark interest along Highway 11 and maybe be able to be funded by riders from up there. 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I buy two permits every year and I'm willing to buy one of those permits from a club in D16 and will try to convince 49 others to do the same.  I know there are others who buy at least one permit from a club in the north.

I believe in the short term, one trail would be sustainable.  Its a start and worth a try in my opinion.   

(no off shoots or side or club trals should be maintained by OFSC permit dollars until it can be proven with a business plan that it is sustainable.  For strictly financial reasons this one trail might only need to be groomed once a week, maybe less.  With todays suspensions and fuel economy, it does not need to be table top.  It will receive less traffic anyway.  Distances are easily travelled.  The infrastructure is already there and as it stands runs very close to the Trans Canada Highway which can used to make access trails for gas and food only.  We have one here accessing  the 401 the busiest highway in the province , I am aware that trails will need a lot of work to get them back in place.    ONE TRAIL FOR NOW, IN THE FUTURE IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO HAVE ONE ALONG 11 AND ANOTHER ALONG 17 LIKE THERE USED TO BE)     Seems to be a lack of towns along Hwy 11

Under the recent "FRAMEWORK FOR CHANGE" I believe this is very possilble ( a grooming association such as the one I belong to in District 5 or the ones in District 9 that are in existence could further reduce cost and effort)

If I can get 49 others on board I will get this started.  I know from being there, Dubreuilville has interest.  This is a great place to start.

Who's with me.  Can we set a goal of 2020 to connect the province.  ONE CLUB AT A TIME    Give me 49 more names and your comittment and lets see if we can make it happen. 

so not having been on this topic for a lllllllllllong time.  Did you get the 50 guys to commit to buying one of their passes from district 16 or ?

Figured with the passes going on sale now it's worth asking the question.

cheers

Rob

I was one of the ones to commit to the D16, I went in to buy my permit but D16 was not available. I am now deciding where to buy in the North. Any suggestions?

Jerry

I was one of the ones to commit to the D16, I went in to buy my permit but D16 was not available. I am now deciding where to buy in the North. Any suggestions?

Jerry

Some of the remaining functioning clubs from old D16 clubs are now with D13 if this helps.

Last year I bought my permits from D16.  The President at the time helped me with the order.  They still have a link on the Longlac site to order permits.  http://www.snowclub.ca/longlac-sno-club/   I will be ordering mine from them.

District 16 does not technically exist anymore.

However, rather than orphan the clubs that are working hard to operate, and to enable them to access some funding, they've been adopted by other districts. For example: Longlac and Geraldton are now part of District 15. And Marathon has been adopted into District 13.

Good news for the clubs and great news for snowmobilers. A win-win all around.

I am able to go onto the OFSC web site and choose Longlac or Geralton as my choice of clubs to support.

I have heard the 50 pass rule Is out! I believe they allowed clubs in the same district to pool together to meet the requirement, ie if one sold 75 and another 25 they were allowed to be pooled to meet the requirement with ofsc.

I have heard the 50 pass rule Is out! I believe they allowed clubs in the same district to pool together to meet the requirement, ie if one sold 75 and another 25 they were allowed to be pooled to meet the requirement with ofsc.

A club still needs to have 50 permit buyers to meet membership requirements.  This is not changing under the new structure, either.

I purchased mine yesterday and selected the marathon club

I don't know who you "hear" your information from, but based on some of it, you might want to change your sources cause they don't know S--t!

I don't know who you "hear" your information from, but based on some of it, you might want to change your sources cause they don't know S--t!

I am sure dub and hornepayne sold less then 50 permits last year so the ofsc let's the district pool the permits, otherwise these clubs would cease.

However it happens, they still need 50 permit sales.

However it happens, they still need 50 permit sales.

I see!

I am sure dub and hornepayne sold less then 50 permits last year so the ofsc let's the district pool the permits, otherwise these clubs would cease.

more crap you spew and don't know crap about. dub sold over 50 on their own, and hornepayne has a large group of town buyers that puts them well over the minimum 50 yearly. almost the entire town of hornepayne is employed by cn, and the town and club are doing well.

also, to show you how little you know about this area after only riding there one time.... hornepayne is not in the same district as dubreuilville. hornepayne is with district 15, dub is in 13. so how could they pool together and create 50 permits if they had to divide them into 2 districts matrix?

please stop posting crap on the internet that you don't know first hand about... or have the correct facts. at least do a google search, so you don't come across as the complete moron, know it all, that we as a group think you are.

sorry if I hurt your feelings but, MAN THIS crap GETS OLD. Ski

more crap you spew and don't know crap about. dub sold over 50 on their own, and hornepayne has a large group of town buyers that puts them well over the minimum 50 yearly. almost the entire town of hornepayne is employed by cn, and the town and club are doing well.

also, to show you how little you know about this area after only riding there one time.... hornepayne is not in the same district as dubreuilville. hornepayne is with district 15, dub is in 13. so how could they pool together and create 50 permits if they had to divide them into 2 districts matrix?

please stop posting crap on the internet that you don't know first hand about... or have the correct facts. at least do a google search, so you don't come across as the complete moron, know it all, that we as a group think you are.

sorry if I hurt your feelings but, MAN THIS crap GETS OLD. Ski

ROFLMAO  Happy ( Canadian ) Thanksgiving  Ski  

I just wanted to say again that I'm back and reading this topic that I started after another long hiatous, sorry guys.  Awesome to see how it has continued.   It was good to see many of you at the ofsc agm again. 

if anyone knows of a club that is hovering just around the 50 permit mark and could use another let me know. I had intended it to go to Dub, but would rather see it strategically used. (the other goes to my world record holding club of Science Hill drifters......had to put that plug in there again.....lol)

All great news about the reallocation of Marathon to D13 and Longlac Geraldton to D15 and the D trail from the Soo to Wawa and the trail through Chapleau to Folyet and on to Timmins.

By the way its never to early to start planning for my two yearly trips north.  

first one is Dec 26 to Dec 31 (leave boxing day and head home new years eve morning)

second one is March break (have to check the dates on this currently)    

Coming from London, it sure would shave some time to go the Soo and start and end there.   (All of this is dependent on snow of course)

I promise to keep the rubber side down this year.  No more airplane rides for this sledhead.

Look forward to hearing from all.  

And don't forget the TekVest!

LC the xmas time holiday dates are a crapshoot everywhere. no one will really know how those dates will work until about dec 20th or so. everyone understands that people have holiday time for vacations and time off work so, understandably so, those with hobbies want to enjoy them. unfortunately with the system we have, not much grooming gets done on those dates, due to family commitments, and lack of parts availability when a breakdown occurs,for our clubs and volunteers.  

I have seen the trails AWESOME at that time, TERRIBLE, at that time... ungroomed, unsigned, and unopen at that time, and no snow on the ground at all, at that time (speaking of north of the soo area specifically). like my first statement, it will be a crap shoot. you will have to be flexible, and go where the snow is. might be the far north, might be the far east, or you might need to travel west to alberta or BC. time will tell, we are all looking for that first ride. with us having the home in dub now, I am REALLY excited for the season.

here's to an early start, and a looong safe riding season for all. Ski

Archived